What is a burpee?

Options

Replies

• Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Because I would rather save my energy for other activities and exercises that don't look or feel silly like burpees do!
    Lol, let me ask do you do Zumba?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I've done Zumba on occasion. I really don't have that strong of an opinion of it either way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Sorry I should reword...the burpees I do willingly when my trainer puts them in my routine are....he doesn't really MAKE me do anything but he is good, I trust him so even though I hate them I do them...gladly coz I am paying him to work me out to the very best of his ability and the improvement I have seen so far convinces me he knows what he is doing so he says burpee I burpee :)
    Yay! Good for you! No need to listen to someone who has a subjective view about burpees if you're getting results!

IDEA Fitness member
  • TDBrims
    TDBrims Posts: 138
    Options
    Ooooh see the burpees my trainer makes me do don't involve the push up they are just hands on floor/step feet together jump them out backwards back in again stand up and jump...repeat...even with no push up they are hell which I detest with everybone in my body...almost as much as mountain climbers but I feel the exercises I hate most are probably the most effective so give them my all when doing them and worrying about breathing afterwards LOL

Just tell your trainer that he is working for you, and you don't want to pay him to make you do burpees! If he refuses, there are other trainers that would love to have the job.

Thant should take care of the situation!
    Lol, yeah my clients whine and cry about burpees, moutain climbers, jump lunges, double jump tucks, etc. yet because I "make" them do them, they are getting tremendous results.

Though you may refuse to do them out of hate, don't try to sway people away from burpees if they are working in their weight loss/fitness success.

IDEA Fitness member

LOL I've tried whining, threatening to cry, even swore at him but he ignores me....He can obviously tell the difference between 'I really can't do this' pleas and 'I really canna be bothered' gripes as the twice I've really been struggling is the only two times he's paid me any heed.....I'd sack him if he let me slack every time I thought it got too hard...how would I figure out that I can do more than I think if he let me quit all the time LOL
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Sorry I should reword...the burpees I do willingly when my trainer puts them in my routine are....he doesn't really MAKE me do anything but he is good, I trust him so even though I hate them I do them...gladly coz I am paying him to work me out to the very best of his ability and the improvement I have seen so far convinces me he knows what he is doing so he says burpee I burpee :)

Well if I was paying a trainer, one of my rules would be NO BURPEES! Even if I don't progress as quickly without them, still, my rule is NO BURPEES!
    Were you abused as a child with burpees?
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I don't like burpees because they look (and feel) WAAAAAAY too silly.

I mean, it looks like they coach doesn't know if they want you to exercise on the floor or standing up. I am willing to do pushups or jumping jacks, but NOT try to basically do both at the same time.

Whoever came up with those silly things should be locked up in a padded room somewhere.

So its really about how cool you look working out?

No, I don't feel the need to look cool working out. But I don't like being instructed to do something that looks and feels downright silly! I won't even want to do them in the closet if no one was looking. All burpees do is make my back tired and sore from having to get up and down so many times, and I don't get anything out of them that I could not get from doing other exercises that don't feel so silly.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Well if I was paying a trainer, one of my rules would be NO BURPEES! Even if I don't progress as quickly without them, still, my rule is NO BURPEES!
    If you asked, then practically any trainer would omit them (including myself). Of course then I would "make" you do Spiderman crawls across the floor instead.............

IDEA Fitness member
  • Health_Gal
    Options

LOL I've tried whining, threatening to cry, even swore at him but he ignores me....He can obviously tell the difference between 'I really can't do this' pleas and 'I really canna be bothered' gripes as the twice I've really been struggling is the only two times he's paid me any heed.....I'd sack him if he let me slack every time I thought it got too hard...how would I figure out that I can do more than I think if he let me quit all the time LOL

Threaten to fire him, and I guarantee he will stop ignoring you!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I've done Zumba on occasion. I really don't have that strong of an opinion of it either way.
    Lol, the reason I asked is because the majority of people I see doing Zumba look pretty silly trying to do some of the moves...................especially the ones that are "sexy".

IDEA Fitness member
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    If you asked, then practically any trainer would omit them (including myself). Of course then I would "make" you do Spiderman crawls across the floor instead.............

IDEA Fitness member

If I ever hired a trainer, I guarantee they would have to go by my rules as to what I do and don't want in a workout, and if they didn't respect that, I would fire them!
  • TDBrims
    Options

WOW Are you deliberately misreading everything I type...If I really couldn't do them then I am sure he'd not make me but I LOVE MY TRAINER....the harder he works me the more I love him...maybe I am a sadist but that is what I pay him for...If I wanted to dictate what I did then I'd stay home and make my own routines up...hell short of firing him if he insisted on doubling his prices I'd still pay him (dinna tell him that though LOL)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Because I would rather save my energy for other activities and exercises that don't look or feel silly like burpees do!
    That didn't explain why they were a waste of energy though. It's a preference and not based on the exercise being ineffective on the cardio vascular system.

IDEA Fitness member
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i cant believe that some of you are arguing with healthy gal over whether or not she should be doing burpees :laugh: it's her body. if she doesnt want to do them fine, that just means more burpees for the rest of us who like feeling like bad *kitten*. Maybe her parents were killed in a freak burpee competition? i'm sure there's more than 1 person out there on an anti-burpee campaign.

i used to play rugby in college and the burpee was definitely a functional movement because we'd be doing that all game. fall down and jump your *kitten* up as quick as possible to get back to where the action is. now as i get older, i love doing things that keep me limber.

i recently saw some guy at my gym add a pull up at the end of his burpee (he'd jump up to grab the chin up bar and do a pull up). me wantz to do that!!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    All I've done so far are dvd workouts at home, but a couple of them have burpees in them and I actually really like them. Yes they are crazy hard especially if you're trying to do them fast, but man I can feel it and that means it's doing something good for my body. I've never tried doing a pushup with it, it wasn't demonstrated that way in my workouts but man I bet that really kicks it up a notch. Yes I probably look silly doing it but I look silly doing a lot of things and that doesn't stop me. LOL
  • Health_Gal
    Options

WOW Are you deliberately misreading everything I type...If I really couldn't do them then I am sure he'd not make me but I LOVE MY TRAINER....the harder he works me the more I love him...maybe I am a sadist but that is what I pay him for...If I wanted to dictate what I did then I'd stay home and make my own routines up...hell short of firing him if he insisted on doubling his prices I'd still pay him (dinna tell him that though LOL)

Well, you can have him! I would not like to be pushed that hard by anyone, no matter how much I like them. I need to have enough energy to get through the rest of the day, and I don't want to use it all up in the gym.
  • TDBrims
    Options
    I have not once told her she should do burpees...she has more than once told me I shouldn't though...just trying to ascertain why that's all :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

If I was a PT, I would cut any pansies that were too scared to do burpees. (assuming no injuries preventing them from doing so)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If I ever hired a trainer, I guarantee they would have to go by my rules as to what I do and don't want in a workout, and if they didn't respect that, I would fire them!
    Then you'd probably NEVER hire me because I'd accept a couple of "nots", but when a client MAKES the rules, then it be truly a waste of my time because I be fighting over what should be done. Guess I don't have to worry about that though.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Getting back to the point-

My main argument is:

Why on earth do so many trainers put burpees into their routines and expect people to do them when they are so darned silly???!!!!!!
  • TDBrims
    Options
    I think the answer is quite clear...because they work and most people don't give a rats *kitten* about looking silly they want to do what works best
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You don't like doing burpees. OK. Move on.