What is a burpee?

Options

Replies

• cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    wow, I'm really shocked by the attempt to degrade the burpee. It is hard but amazingly effective for toning and cardio. This girl does a lot of burpees in her routines and looks amazing doing them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfNA_lmkHM

Why even comment on the thread if you are against the subject? Bah!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Agree...My trainer has never yelled or got nasty he is supportive/sarcastic/humorous/more supportive....He is getting the best out of me without yelling or pushing me past what he knows I can do.....10/10
    I've never had to yell at any client for as long as I've done this. You can encourage, motivate, energize, and help clients push through pain and doubt without having to raise your voice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    who uses ALL their daily energy in the gym? And what's the point of going to the gym if you're not gonna push yourself? I mean I agree, I'm not gonna do a burpee and if ANY trainer tells me to I'm shoving a 10lb dumbbell tightly down their throat. But at the same time, if he/she tells me to do something and is encouraging me to push myself WITHOUT YELLING OR GETTING NASTY then I'll curse them and the gods above but I'll still do it.

Agree...My trainer has never yelled or got nasty he is supportive/sarcastic/humorous/more supportive....He is getting the best out of me without yelling or pushing me past what he knows I can do.....10/10

I had a trainer that yelled and got rude (my "gay" ex). He would say if all I was gonna do is whine then we can just go home. So we went home and I ate a whole cake and ice cream lol.

But I'm meeting for the first time with a real trainer Friday and hopefully he'll be "okay". I only get 8 sessions with him though because I put out $389 and my bank account is yelling at me:laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Either way, you wouldn't get any of my money!
    Lol, why do you assume I want it?

IDEA Fitness member
  • TDBrims
    TDBrims Posts: 138
    Options
    wow, I'm really shocked by the attempt to degrade the burpee. It is hard but amazingly effective for toning and cardio. This girl does a lot of burpees in her routines and looks amazing doing them:

Please God if I am a good girl and do my burpees everyday can I get a smoking bod like that one :)
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I've never had to yell at any client for as long as I've done this. You can encourage, motivate, energize, and help clients push through pain and doubt without having to raise your voice.

IDEA Fitness member

So you admit you have your clients in pain? You don't have to push people to the point of pain to have a reasonably good workout. When someone is in pain, they have already pushed too far.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Personal Training course atm and my teacher said that she NEVER gets people to do them as waaay too many injuries happen from them.
    Really? I've been a trainer for over 15 years and haven't had anyone ever report getting injured from doing them when shown correct form.

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah... something to do with the joints :S although that is only one of my teachers... my other one told us to do them :laugh: they get results so i'll do them!
    Well in any exercise, locking of any joint will lead to injury which is why execution is important. If done correctly, there shouldn't be any real issues. Do 'em! Make sure that you got your form down pack to show how to do it!

IDEA Fitness member

No! Don't do them! You will wear yourself out and not have that energy for things that are less silly and useless!

Okay WE KNOW you think they are silly. Can we move on now?!

I wear myself out after a good lifting session. I come home exhausted. Then I eat, drink some coffee, and am good to go. Hard work pays off.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

She has a cute accent
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    No! Don't do them! You will wear yourself out and not have that energy for things that are less silly and useless!
    Some people like to feel "worn" out from really working out. No need to deter them from that.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TDBrims
    TDBrims Posts: 138
    Options
    So you admit you have your clients in pain? You don't have to push people to the point of pain to have a reasonably good workout. When someone is in pain, they have already pushed too far.

Couldn't disagree more (why the hell am I still typing on this thread LOL) there are different types of pain and during workouts there is a type you can push through which just means your body is developing and you are finding new levels of capability...if you stay inside your comfort zone and don;t push past this you will never find out what you are truly capable of...trust me I know for the first 35 years of my life I did just that and it has only been the last year I have made this mind blowing discovery and acheived more than I ever thought possible.
  • tineharp
    tineharp Posts: 1
    Options
    burpees are the devil. to add to the evil, instead of the jump at the end, do a box jump!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yeah, it's called lactic acid build up. You probably don't know about that though.

IDEA Fitness member
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Burpees are one of the silliest exercises I have EVER seen! I HATE them, and I refuse to do them!

I decided not to take a class I used to like at the YMCA because they got a new teacher and she put burpees into the routine every single time.

OMG!!! She changed her user name, but is still bashing CF!!! Geez!!!

Ahh yes I remember now. The user who hates on cross fit, muscular women, and hard work apparently.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Couldn't disagree more (why the hell am I still typing on this thread LOL) there are different types of pain and during workouts there is a type you can push through which just means your body is developing and you are finding new levels of capability...if you stay inside your comfort zone and don;t push past this you will never find out what you are truly capable of...trust me I know for the first 35 years of my life I did just that and it has only been the last year I have made this mind blowing discovery and acheived more than I ever thought possible.
    Cudos. Empowering huh? Let's you know that you can probably get through other hardships as well!

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ahh yes I remember now. The user who hates on cross fit, muscular women, and hard work apparently.
    Trolling then. Apparently not getting enough attention.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Burpees are a momentary hell-on-earth experience... LOL.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Burpees are a momentary hell-on-earth experience... LOL.
    I make them part of my Tabata finisher..........................along with Moutain climbers, double jump tucks, prison squats and jump lunges.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options

Cudos. Empowering huh? Let's you know that you can probably get through other hardships as well!

IDEA Fitness member

Attempting to push through pain when you are exercising can also lead you to discover how expensive it is to make an unexpected trip to the emergency room and pay for physical therapy as well! How exciting!
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Good thing I work for a hospital & do physical therapy for a living!!! True story!!! No worries! :wink:
  • pattan59801
    pattan59801 Posts: 142
    Options
    OH squat thrusts