To all the ladies out there who have photos solely of your h

Options

Replies

• Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of reasons why some women don't have body shots and it might have nothing to do with being insecure. I could think of quite a few reasons why they wouldn't want to. That being said, your post is very nice :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,683 Member
    Options
    AND also in response to those who have gotten on me for not having a shot of my face as a profile picture, it is in a previous picture but for intensive purposes, i will now go and take one of my whole body(including head)
    For intensive purposes?
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    That's a very sweet post, but one of the reasons some people just have head shots - aside from embarrassment - is that it's hard to take a full body picture of ourselves without some assistance (someone to hold the camera). Just throwing that out there.

Oh, and my profile picture is just of my face because I am confident about my body and the work I put into getting it healthy, but I am not confident about my face so forcing myself to stare at it is sort of therapeutic for me (yes, I am strange).

Not strange... but just throwing this out there, you're gorgeous!
  • luvnthenewme
    luvnthenewme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Body shot will be taken later today. It is something I have been thinking about for the last few days, anyways. I do take full body shots for my own personal records, but LOL, I would be kicked off of MFP in a heartbeat if I posted them!!! So... additional goal for today is to get a full body shot WITH CLOTHING and post it on my profile :) Come on people.... if I can do it (and I am totally NOT photogenic), then I hope more of you will join me. Let's be proud of who we are!!!!!!!!!!!! We may not be perfect, but if we are here then we are working to get that way!!!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have a head shot because I want people to see what I look like :laugh: It's hard to tell what someone looks like when a full body photo is squeezed into the square over there but I did just add a few to my profile. Do I want to lose some pounds? Yes. Am I "ashamed" or "embarrassed" of my body/self? Not at all.
  • Brian001
    Options
    Just saying first off: topic was never meant to slander those with non body shots. Was simply mean to encourage. Sorry if it came off negative.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the sincere and kind post OP.

I've been on this site for over 3 years. There's always going to be SOMEONE who finds something offensive or negative, even if it's a kind gesture.
  • crullmd
    crullmd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't let everyone dissuade you from being supportive...bleh to the neigh sayers...lol. I find myself taking more head shots than body shots. It isn't so much that I am trying to hide my body. I am on track to being a skinny minny but am not there yet and I own that. I need help to take those pics tho, since I don't own a full length mirror and I see progress in the photos of the face whereas the body shots not so much! But hey, keep up the support and others might start to see it as a real support and not just blowing smoke up...well you know..lol
  • lisswin
    Options
    I know what you mean, if it is appropriate to post full body pics on the internet then it is on here I guess to show various stages of weight loss. To be honest the thought never even crossed my mind to take full body pics and post them on here. I'm not ashamed of my body but comparisons of my progress I'd rather keep to myself really.

The danger is if everyone starts posting bikini shots for example the site turns into a bragging station of insecure people looking for approval from others for their fitness achievements. It is more healthy to be able to recognize you own achievements and feel good about yourself without turning the whole thing slightly narcissistic.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i totally understood what you meant. i think your awesome. :) add*
  • kwahom03
    Options
    i have to disagree with this, i didn't choose to post a picture of my head with the thought of 'oh i'm fat i can't post a full body picture.' i chose to put one of my head so people actually know what i look like, and all my full body pictures look stupid to have as a profile picture because you wouldn't be able to tell what i look like. i would rather be able to put some kind of face to the name of people i'm friends with on here, not just a body.
  • marmar8302
    Options
    My fully body pics are not appropriate for this site lol...I took them for me, and only me to look at, so I have something to remind me of what I dont want to look like, Maybe I'll take an appropriate pic later today to add to my photos. Not to sound concieted cause I'm not, but my face is the only part of me right now that I consider pretty, hence why its showcased :) Plus its not easy to take a good full body pic of yourself lol!
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Darlin', you're a total sweetie and I applaude you. :flowerforyou:
    Social media sites have taught us to hide to prevent discrimination and I agree with you that we are all here for the same reason (well, almost all of us are) and support is given to everyone with 2 pounds to 200+ pounds to lose. I understand the stigma of being a big girl and only wanting to show my face. Seeing my whole body up there....used to make me want to cry.

They'll come around when they're ready, but hopefully your post gives them a little more courage. And I really hope no one blasts you because I feel as though you are coming from an honest place of wanting to help.

Thanks for being you :smile:
    Meg

ETA: I understand not EVERYONE with just the headshot is uncomfortable, but I see where he's coming from.

Yeah I took it as a nice intention too. Refreshing to see a post that set out to be nice with the nastiness and negativity that seems to be going round on the forums now. .... Although the bit about the boobies was funny :laugh:

Personally I feel happier to be a bit anonymous on here, although I now have a pic that does show my face on my profile. Apart from one of my MFP friends who is a friend in real life, I wouldn't particularly like work colleagues for example seeing the picture I have on here of my back. Weird I know that I am happier with a bunch of 'strangers' looking at it, it's not that I am ashamed, plus it's nothing I wouldn't show at a swimming pool, but still! :ohwell:
  • Brian001
    Options
    i have to disagree with this, i didn't choose to post a picture of my head with the thought of 'oh i'm fat i can't post a full body picture.' i chose to put one of my head so people actually know what i look like, and all my full body pictures look stupid to have as a profile picture because you wouldn't be able to tell what i look like. i would rather be able to put some kind of face to the name of people i'm friends with on here, not just a body.

I understand that completely. Im not saying you had to. Again to reiterate, was only meant to encourage those who were afraid to or who were on the fence about it. Thanks for your insight though, i can understand completely where you are coming from.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that some people have posted before and after pictures but the head is missing in the after pics...I wonder if it is truly that person........One girl looked like she had breast implants in some but not others........
  • kcmckillip
    kcmckillip Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't have a picture at all (either here or facebook) because I'm too embarassed. I appreciate your comments.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah I took it as a nice intention too. Refreshing to see a post that set out to be nice with the nastiness and negativity that seems to be going round on the forums now. .... Although the bit about the boobies was funny :laugh:

Personally I feel happier to be a bit anonymous on here, although I now have a pic that does show my face on my profile. Apart from one of my MFP friends who is a friend in real life, I wouldn't particularly like work colleagues for example seeing the picture I have on here of my back. Weird I know that I am happier with a bunch of 'strangers' looking at it, it's not that I am ashamed, plus it's nothing I wouldn't show at a swimming pool, but still! :ohwell:

Ditto! I'm much more open when somewhat anonymous :smile:
  • Brian001
    Options
    And to those of you who criticized my missing head picture =P its changed now (sorry about the fog, kinda happens after a shower)
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Just an interesting point....if you ask children to draw a picture of themselves, you will notice a big difference in the pictures.

The girls will usually draw a head shot style portrait, but the boys will usually draw not only a full body shot, but often include other things, like representations of their interests, such as being dressed in cleats with a soccer ball, or on a skate board.

Even from a young age, it is apparent that girls are influenced to believe their value is (somewhat) based on their looks - hair, makeup, etc. and boys, their physical prowess.

Not saying this is true of everyone, but it could also lend itself to this topic...I have noticed that generally it is the females who post head shots, and guys, full body.
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    AHEM. IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION THAT WOMEN HAVE FOUND THIS POST OFFENSIVE SEEING AS I DID NOT ADDRESS THIS TO MEN AS WELL. WAS NOT MY INTENTION BUT FOR CLARIFICATION. I HAVE ALSO SAID IN THE TOPIC ITSELF THAT IT IS OPEN TO MEN AS WELL. I HAVE JUST SEEN IT MORE PRESENT IN THE WOMEN. THIS IS NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM IS A WAY FOR ME TO "SEE" WOMEN. Sorry for all the caps, just needed to get point across.

It was my understanding (from the original post) that you were indeed posting for men and women. I was not offended at all. Thank you for being supportive and don't let the negativity get to you.