Options

Replies

• Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Judge Judy objects.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Very sweet post and thank you for your support. But how cool is it to see the transformation of your MFP friends from posting maybe no pic at all, to a face pic, to an upper half pic to entire body. It is a beautiful thing to see the self confidence grow and I love how you are trying to instill that in everyone....Great job!!! Very kind and sweet.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    That's a very sweet post, but one of the reasons some people just have head shots - aside from embarrassment - is that it's hard to take a full body picture of ourselves without some assistance (someone to hold the camera). Just throwing that out there.

Oh, and my profile picture is just of my face because I am confident about my body and the work I put into getting it healthy, but I am not confident about my face so forcing myself to stare at it is sort of therapeutic for me (yes, I am strange).

Not strange... but just throwing this out there, you're gorgeous!
    You're sweet - thank you! (waiting for my brain to catch up with the rest of me - I'll get there someday)
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    That's a very sweet post, but one of the reasons some people just have head shots - aside from embarrassment - is that it's hard to take a full body picture of ourselves without some assistance (someone to hold the camera). Just throwing that out there.

Oh, and my profile picture is just of my face because I am confident about my body and the work I put into getting it healthy, but I am not confident about my face so forcing myself to stare at it is sort of therapeutic for me (yes, I am strange).

DITTO THAT...Taking a pic of myself into a mirror isn't exactly my cup of tea.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny a bit creepy when people's pictures are just their ripped torso...or back..or arm, but always headless. I've noticed these are also the people who like to give unwarranted advice...just sayin'!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Most of my MFP photos are face shots - primarily because I'm taking them myself and my arm only extends so far out in front of me. It never occurred to me that anyone would see that as anything other than an image / representation of who I am. I update them periodically because how I look is changing and it seems appropriate to keep pace with that.

I have never thought 'low self-esteem' or 'bad body-image' from a head shot. It's funny though, because when I see the shots of people showing off ripped abs, or are stripped down to their underwear, I see them as vanity shots and a sign of an inflated ego.

It's interesting and informative to get another perspective on the question of how we represent ourselves on MFP. Thanks for that.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Good post OP, good intentions.

I wouldn't worry about anyone saying anything negative as there will always be people who disagree. I've had people disagree with me when i've stated scientific fact on here against their random thoughts so something as open as this will have people trying to take a pop.
  • Brian001
    Options
    I think it's funny a bit creepy when people's pictures are just their ripped torso...or back..or arm, but always headless. I've noticed these are also the people who like to give unwarranted advice...just sayin'!

I see that all the time and the reason why i did it was because i want people to see the change in my body itself. For clarification that i was not being self concious i even posted a pic of me with my head right after a shower.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Just an interesting point....if you ask children to draw a picture of themselves, you will notice a big difference in the pictures.

The girls will usually draw a head shot style portrait, but the boys will usually draw not only a full body shot, but often include other things, like representations of their interests, such as being dressed in cleats with a soccer ball, or on a skate board.

Even from a young age, it is apparent that girls are influenced to believe their value is (somewhat) based on their looks - hair, makeup, etc. and boys, their physical prowess.

Not saying this is true of everyone, but it could also lend itself to this topic...I have noticed that generally it is the females who post head shots, and guys, full body.
    This is very interesting - and so true now that I think about it!

OP - when I read your original post, my thought was how sweet you are. You don't see that kind of sincere support very often. Thank you.
  • Brian001
    Options
    [/quote]
    This is very interesting - and so true now that I think about it!

OP - when I read your original post, my thought was how sweet you are. You don't see that kind of sincere support very often. Thank you.
    [/quote]

Thank you =D I like seeing the positive support when i never meant it for any underlying or bad reason. Just trying to help.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    This is a ploy to see boobies. Do not do it

:laugh: I like it

Lol! I dont think the above was negative, just funny! I usually have a headless body shot cause I like feeling anonymous, so I guess I'm the opposite. Although these days I'm getting bigger, not smaller....

Me too, due 9/6 but showing already! =D
  • rsqsquad05
    Options
    You said that very well! especially for a guy, I'm kinda shocked :)
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    <
    Here's the whole me
  • Brian001
    Options
    You said that very well! especially for a guy, I'm kinda shocked :)

Growing up with 5 sisters and no brothers did give me a higher appreciation for women lol, thanks for the compliment =D
  • cprice05
    cprice05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly!
  • Brian001
    Options

My thoughts exactly!

Your very welcome! I try to be supportive as much as i can! =D
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    I have no head ...
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Brian001 I think your post was very sweet and encouraging. I did take some before shots which I will post when I am ready to share my success story. For now I use my daughter's picture because she is my #1 motivation to be healthy.

I would like to encourage those who have NO profile picture at all to find something to represent them - whether it's a head shot, body shot, your eyeball, your nose, your kids, your dog, nature, your car - something that is part of you and what is important or motivating or the "essence" of you.

I like the relative anonymity of MFP (I have deliberately chosen only 2 RL friends to be MFPeeps), but I still like to see SOMETHING that show me a little of you!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have no head ...
    Not trying to be creepy, but with abs like that, you really don't need one.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have no head ...
    Not trying to be creepy, but with abs like that, you really don't need one.

Ditto that. :blushing: