400 Calories in 4 Minutes - WDYT?

Options

Replies

• LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Funny - the girl in the picture isn't doing ANY of the listed moves. :laugh:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

She is doing High Knees, which is one of the exercises.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I think this would be fun to try...but I don't know about the calorie burn.
  • TBellmore
    Options
    bump for later..
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options

She is doing High Knees, which is one of the exercises.

Nope - check out the ladder on the floor - she's jumping over it. :smile:
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • summergirl73
    summergirl73 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I am guessing it burns a lot more than you would think

Its a from of HIITtraining, that I am told works very well at burning calories etc, bit like Tabata training
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Nope. You're heart rate would only be starting to increase at 4 mins. Not possible
  • thebigcb
    Options
    THIS^^ But what the thing means is that you do it 10 times over!!! Instead of running for 40 minutes...i.e is as good even though you don't "work" the entire time. Tabata protocol is a form of interval training where you work max effort for 20 seconds, rest 10 and repeat. Normally 8 sets of each exercise which will take you 40 minutes per block of 8 (20secs+10secs = 30secs x 8 = 4mins)
    Disagree here. If you can go 40 minutes and do that much, the you're doing HIIT training and not Tabata. Tabata is ALL out 100% effort for 4 minutes. In those 4 minutes you should be spent and done. If not, then it wasn't Tabata training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I do what I think is Tabata. Its 12 exercises, each for 4minutes(20/10) with a one minute break and then onto the next one. That tabata?
  • HeatherLeahxx
    HeatherLeahxx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Nope. You're heart rate would only be starting to increase at 4 mins. Not possible
    Your heart rate increases when it goes above resting heart rate. That could be 10 beats more and you can do that climbing one set of stairs.
    Tabata is VERY hard IF done correctly. The majority of people I see do it apply only about 85% of max effort. Very few can put in 100% max effort. You should be screaming for air by about the 4th cycle and still have 4 more to do. But again, you won't burn 400 calories when you do it. More like 70-200 for the average population.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    THIS^^ But what the thing means is that you do it 10 times over!!! Instead of running for 40 minutes...i.e is as good even though you don't "work" the entire time. Tabata protocol is a form of interval training where you work max effort for 20 seconds, rest 10 and repeat. Normally 8 sets of each exercise which will take you 40 minutes per block of 8 (20secs+10secs = 30secs x 8 = 4mins)
    Disagree here. If you can go 40 minutes and do that much, the you're doing HIIT training and not Tabata. Tabata is ALL out 100% effort for 4 minutes. In those 4 minutes you should be spent and done. If not, then it wasn't Tabata training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member

I do what I think is Tabata. Its 12 exercises, each for 4minutes(20/10) with a one minute break and then onto the next one. That tabata?
    That would be HIIT training and not Tabata.

IDEA Fitness member
  • thebigcb
    Options
    So if i was lazy and did just four minutes (20/10) that would be Tabata, but the fact that I do more than one makes it HIIT, correct?

Thank you Sir
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So if i was lazy and did just four minutes (20/10) that would be Tabata, but the fact that I do more than one makes it HIIT, correct?

Thank you Sir
    You'd be lazy on Tabata if your effort wasn't 100%. Try it today. Just do burpees only for Tabata. Give 100% effort (try to do the same amount of reps as the first set you do and you should be shooting for as many as you can do in 20 seconds) and let us know if it's considered lazy.

IDEA Fitness member
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not humanly possible.
  • thebigcb
    Options

Thank you Sir
    You'd be lazy on Tabata if your effort wasn't 100%. Try it today. Just do burpees only for Tabata. Give 100% effort (try to do the same amount of reps as the first set you do and you should be shooting for as many as you can do in 20 seconds) and let us know if it's considered lazy.

IDEA Fitness member

Only joking re lazy

I usually do Burpees, Skipping, Lunges, Jumping Jacks, Push Up, Dip, Squat, Sit Up, Plank, Bridge, LEg Raisers, and something else

6 Burpees, each 20, the odd(very odd 7)
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    Definitely not buying into this.
  • michellerosefit
    Options
    The concept behind that workout is HIIT-high intensity interval training. It does burn a good number of calories, maybe equivalent to running at the same pace for 20 minutes straight if you go at your max for each interval. However, I would recommend putting some weight training in between like lunges with overhead squats, lunges with bicep curls, and then deadlifts with rows. You can place those three exercises in between the cardio bursts and perform each for max 30 seconds and now you would have a more total body burn, with weight training to help build muscle, and it won't take up that much more time.

PS-I don't want to seem like a know it all but I have a degree in exercise science and I am a certified trainer. I just wanted to help :)
  • thebigcb
    Options
    The concept behind that workout is HIIT-high intensity interval training. It does burn a good number of calories, maybe equivalent to running at the same pace for 20 minutes straight if you go at your max for each interval. However, I would recommend putting some weight training in between like lunges with overhead squats, lunges with bicep curls, and then deadlifts with rows. You can place those three exercises in between the cardio bursts and perform each for max 30 seconds and now you would have a more total body burn, with weight training to help build muscle, and it won't take up that much more time.

PS-I don't want to seem like a know it all but I have a degree in exercise science and I am a certified trainer. I just wanted to help :)

Was that for me? I don;t use weights when I am doing the HIIT training.

I do weight training maybe 2 or 3 times a week, then one or two HIIT and 3 jogging