Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Options

Replies

• OccupyFitness
    Options
    These comments have seriously confused me. I don't know what to think.

I did up my calories to my BMR for a daily minimum after reading all these ideas.

I am having a hard time imagining that it will work out for me as I am still in the less (calories) is more (weight loss). I do find that I sometimes don't eat what I know is good for me (avocado on my chili) only because of the calories. Hopefully the more calories will help me feel like eating more healthy foods and also give me more energy for exercise.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I just read through the ENTIRE thread, in the hopes I could find someone in my similar stats. But alas, I was wondering if you all could help me figure out how much I need to be eating.

I'm 19 years old, 53kg (119pounds?) and 5'3. I'm trying to maintain this weight now but I have no idea how many calories I should be eating!
    I used to eat 1300/1400 when I was losing, but I was always hungry and it wasn't pleasant.
    However, the difference between me and alot of you lovely ladies is I don't think I exercise as much? For the past few weeks (basically since I started maintaining) I've been doing les mills body classes 3 x a week and then maybe another day at the gym just doing elliptical or other machines. Is this enough exercise?
    Other than that i think I'm mainly sedentary..

And how much should I be eating?? PLEASE HELP!
    Your BMR according to Fit 2 Fat Radio (Harris Benedict Formula) 1379 calories the MFP BMR calculator should be pretty accurate too for those at Goal weight.
    Your TDEE according to Fitness frog is 2128
    To maintain Fit2Fat Radio recommends the following:

Activity Level / Daily Calories

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1655

Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1896

Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2137

Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2379

Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2620

You are moderately active from what I am reading. So it seems that 2137 calories should work well to start but each of us need to do a bit of adjustment. What does MFP say for maintenance for you? I would make sure you are eating at your BMR plus your TDEE at least. I am not sure what The multipliers that were given above for women under 35 were for TDEE or loss or maintenance. Good luck finding the right range for you to maintain. I want to say that it is important to work hard to maintain (not gain or lose) for at least 2-3 months to reset your weight. Some suggest a year. So many lose and go off diet and gain or lose for a while and eventually your body will take you to the last weight it was set at. That could be your lst plateau or all the way back. Learning to maintain is as important as losing so good for you for asking a great question.

If others have better answers feel free to post them. Just didn't want to let a good question go unresponded too.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bumpity bump bump BUMP!!! I love my FUEL!!:drinker:
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    These comments have seriously confused me. I don't know what to think.

I did up my calories to my BMR for a daily minimum after reading all these ideas.

I am having a hard time imagining that it will work out for me as I am still in the less (calories) is more (weight loss). I do find that I sometimes don't eat what I know is good for me (avocado on my chili) only because of the calories. Hopefully the more calories will help me feel like eating more healthy foods and also give me more energy for exercise.
    This is exactly what I was doing. Forgoing not only junk but good food for me because of not having enough calories. I do measure higher calorie good food now to make sure I am not going over board but I am including them back in. There are high quality fats that will help you lose and even your insulin. It is stupid for me to cut them out and not get enough calories to be healthy.
  • gorden05
    gorden05 Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm upping mine! I feel like a person would be crazy not to! So much success, congrats to everyone! :)
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    i love this thread =]

Thanks !! :) Glad I asked the question many weeks ago
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Bumping to keep track...

Noticed a gain after 2 weeks, but lost just over 1 inch in two weeks. I'm still having trouble eating enough - old habits and all - but I'm working on it!
  • lenatuck
    lenatuck Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 20 years old and 5foot, I've stayed at around 55kg (120lbs) for around 3 months now! I do 5 days a week of intense exercise but i still want to lose around 10 pounds, but the weight isn't going anywhere, I tried to change my daily calorie goal to maintanance on MFP but they said that was like 1,600 range, is this correct??
    Or should I just up my calories to 1,800?

Help would be so appreciated!!
  • Lilith47
    Lilith47 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread! I changed my settings to the real thing - from sedentary to lightly active ( although I'm thinking I could even go active, I teach dance classes every 2nd day 1,5 hours to 4 hours, have my own 1hr practice every day, plus 1/2hr pilates and 1/2 hr weights ca 3x/week ...but the rest of the time I'm sitting at school or at home... what do you guys think?)
    It gives me the calorie goal at 1490 now, which actually feels better than 1200 I did for the last week...
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    Bump
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    bumping this thread for later :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread! I changed my settings to the real thing - from sedentary to lightly active ( although I'm thinking I could even go active, I teach dance classes every 2nd day 1,5 hours to 4 hours, have my own 1hr practice every day, plus 1/2hr pilates and 1/2 hr weights ca 3x/week ...but the rest of the time I'm sitting at school or at home... what do you guys think?)
    It gives me the calorie goal at 1490 now, which actually feels better than 1200 I did for the last week...
    which one did you try?
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    it has you at "heavy exercise, if you are working out daily but sedentary at your job.
  • Nnekaschild
    Nnekaschild Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    bump
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I am eating enough calories, weight on the scale hasn't gone down a lot but I have lost quite a lot of inches and I am really frustrated despite immediate family telling me they notice a difference. I am deciding to cut out the bad carbs and instead eat food low GI because I have been advised to do so.
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1696 My TDee is 2945 so is shooting for 1900 a good bet? Should i aim for 500 to 750 less than TDee?
  • amysj303
    Options
    I think 20% lower on TDE, that would give you 2356.
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

I think ill try that :)
  • amysj303
    Options

I think ill try that :)
    It's still an almost 600 cal deficit, so you would lose about a pound per week. try it for a month, see how it goes.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere fom 1700 to a little over 2000. I have my goal set to 1760 and to lose 1/2 pound per week currently but I'm switching it to maintenance next week so my goal will be a little over 2000... I think it will be more like 2100. And that is not including exercise.

When I was losing more weight (1 pound per week) I had my goal set to 1540 and it worked magically.