Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Options

Replies

• cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4", 132 lbs. I just upped my calories to 2,000 (about 300 under maintenance per bmf) last week and am down a lb! The best part is I have more energy and don't feel deprived any more! I wish I had done this 7 weeks ago when I first started mfp!
  • Nikkilou1202
    Options
    Please somebody help me!!!

I am 5ft 6" 25 and 79kg. MFP says I should eat 1250 calories a day net. I workout everyday for an average of an hour and burn 500-700 calories. I do eat these backs. I would say my average net is about 1100. So I am still eating around 1800 but burn off alot of it. My BMR is 1460. I want to loose about 12kg.

Any ideas on what I should do? If i should up my calories how do I do this, I can't make myself eat anymore, I already snack between meals with fruit or toast and eat 3 meals a day which are regular sized meals. Everyone says how nice it is to eat more food, and I am enjoying what I am eating now but not sure if I can eat more!
  • mickeyluvchocolat
    Options
    Please somebody help me!!!

I am 5ft 6" 25 and 79kg. MFP says I should eat 1250 calories a day net. I workout everyday for an average of an hour and burn 500-700 calories. I do eat these backs. I would say my average net is about 1100. So I am still eating around 1800 but burn off alot of it. My BMR is 1460. I want to loose about 12kg.

Any ideas on what I should do? If i should up my calories how do I do this, I can't make myself eat anymore, I already snack between meals with fruit or toast and eat 3 meals a day which are regular sized meals. Everyone says how nice it is to eat more food, and I am enjoying what I am eating now but not sure if I can eat more!

you can have all your answers here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm 1.57m (5'2") & lately my average daily intake is between 1,800-2100 calories a day but still maintaining at 53 kilos. But I think that's because I do intense heavy weight training 3x a week & making sure that my muscles are properly nourished.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Wow, my TDEE is only a little more than that. I wouldn't lose an ounce!
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. This thread is amazing. I am learning so much! I could really use some help., though. . .

I appear to be kind of stuck at around 160. I am 5'6" and really rather muscular (I wear a US size 8) but I definitely have flab that needs to go. ;) I would like to lose 15 lbs and continue to tone up. I do weights/strength training three times a week and cardio at least three, sometimes more. My diet is pretty good, relatively clean--processed foods are low, I try to keep protein above 120g/day, and keep an eye on carbs. But I am really struggling with how much I should be eating. I had been around 1500 and did lose a little, then dropped to 1300 and was MISERABLE--tired, sluggish, and even got terrible headaches. So I went back up to 1500. But even so, on most days, esp. days like today where I really burned a lot (close to 600 calories), that is only netting around 900.

I figured my BMR to be about 1470. But the rest of it--TDEE, for example--I'm kind of lost.

i really do buy into the whole idea that your body needs fuel, esp. when you work out heavy/a lot (like I do)--I just don't know how much fuel I need! Can anyone help? Thank you!!
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
    Upped my calories to 1800 plus any additional calories to make sure my NET is my BMR.
    Scale has gone up the last couple of weeks, but I know this is typical for some. So I'm sticking with it. My workouts have been GREAT. Higher calorie burns since I've upped :)
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700 calories on a non exercise day, which is less than my TDEE but about 200 more than my BMR. But on exercise days, especially on days when I do cardio and strength, I get to pig out on 2000 or more calories! I've been losing consistently minus one off day I weighed myself after a big dinner (smacks self on forehead).
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. This thread is amazing. I am learning so much! I could really use some help., though. . .

I appear to be kind of stuck at around 160. I am 5'6" and really rather muscular (I wear a US size 8) but I definitely have flab that needs to go. ;) I would like to lose 15 lbs and continue to tone up. I do weights/strength training three times a week and cardio at least three, sometimes more. My diet is pretty good, relatively clean--processed foods are low, I try to keep protein above 120g/day, and keep an eye on carbs. But I am really struggling with how much I should be eating. I had been around 1500 and did lose a little, then dropped to 1300 and was MISERABLE--tired, sluggish, and even got terrible headaches. So I went back up to 1500. But even so, on most days, esp. days like today where I really burned a lot (close to 600 calories), that is only netting around 900.

I figured my BMR to be about 1470. But the rest of it--TDEE, for example--I'm kind of lost.

i really do buy into the whole idea that your body needs fuel, esp. when you work out heavy/a lot (like I do)--I just don't know how much fuel I need! Can anyone help? Thank you!!
    You should calculate your TDEE and reduce that 15-20% and that would be your calorie goal. Because TDEE accounts for exercise you would not "eat back" calories earned from exercise.
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    So, first week of my little experiment is done and I am down 2lbs. Granted, my ticker hasn't changed because I was so annoyed when it went up I didn't change it!:blushing: I think I can honestly say my 2 month plateau is broken but we will see what happens next Monday at weigh-in. I am eating 2000 - 2200 calories a day, and doing the same exercise I was before. I've got to say it was a lot easier tracking my intake, instead of worrying I had eaten too much, I just had to double check to see if I could eat more! There was only one day I struggled trying to eat but that was more my mood. I definitely wasn't "hangry" and felt good after my exercise instead of drained. I am starting P90 today. Sounds impressive?! Not so much, I will probably be at level 1 for several 90 day sessions, but I am just trying to step it up/switch it up every week. Hope everyone has a great week!:flowerforyou:
  • Funshinerika
    Options

We have almost identical stats! I'm 5'6, 163 pounds, about a size 8 and want to lost 15 more while toning. You eat better than I do though ;) I'm considering upping my calories to 1900, which is about 20% lower than my TDEE of 2374. I am excited to fuel my body! Add me, if you like, and we can help each other out. ;)
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

To figure out your TDEE use this:

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Then you subtract the 15%- 20% to have the deficit you want.

I actually only subtract 250-300 calories because I am in the last 10 pounds I want to lose. I have heard and believe that the last 20-15 pounds should be slower so you don't lose as much muscle mass... just my two cents! :wink:
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    So I am crazy stressing out.. b/c I've been stuck in the 190's for EVER.. and the scale has not moved at all in 2 weeks and the last time it did move I actually gained a pound. I'm at 192 now. I've lost 40 lbs since Thanksgiving eating about 1330 calories straight daily and burning about 2500-3500 weekly. I've talked to a few people about what I should do and I'm getting some mixed advice. Everyone I'm talking to has a nutrition/medical/trainer background.

Scott says-stay at the same calories but change your macros to 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat. If you are still hungry after workouts.. Eat more protein.

Aaron says- my calories are to high and I need to be eating 1050 daily based on my height, high protein, low glycemic carbs and add fat as needed, no more than 6 grams per meal.

Michael says- let's increase by 100 and add another workout in each week.

What I'm reading here is that I need to increase my calories WAY up.. and keep my macros the same..maybe increase my protein some..

Here are my numbers..

Height 62 inches
    Current weight 192
    Goal weight 169
    Current body fat 34
    Goal body fat 25

Based on those #'s my bmr is 1617
    and my tdee (underestimated) 2249

If I eat at a tdee 15% decrease that puts me between 1850 and 1900 calories on non-workout days and at least a net of 1600 on workout days.

I'm scared out of my mind to increase that much!! The thought of gaining weight puts me in panic mode. Geez, I think I have a problem! Ugh.

Would it benefit at this point to just begin by eating back exercise calories but keep my calories at 1350? Or maybe just increasing to my bmr of 1600?
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    So I am crazy stressing out.. b/c I've been stuck in the 190's for EVER.. and the scale has not moved at all in 2 weeks and the last time it did move I actually gained a pound. I'm at 192 now. I've lost 40 lbs since Thanksgiving eating about 1330 calories straight daily and burning about 2500-3500 weekly. I've talked to a few people about what I should do and I'm getting some mixed advice. Everyone I'm talking to has a nutrition/medical/trainer background.

Scott says-stay at the same calories but change your macros to 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat. If you are still hungry after workouts.. Eat more protein.

Aaron says- my calories are to high and I need to be eating 1050 daily based on my height, high protein, low glycemic carbs and add fat as needed, no more than 6 grams per meal.

What I'm reading here is that I need to increase my calories WAY up.. and keep my macros the same..maybe increase my protein some..

Here are my numbers..

Height 62 inches
    Current weight 192
    Goal weight 169
    Current body fat 34
    Goal body fat 25

If I eat at a tdee 15% decrease that puts me between 1850 and 1900 calories on non-workout days and at least a net of 1600 on workout days.

I'm scared out of my mind to increase that much!! The thought of gaining weight puts me in panic mode. Geez, I think I have a problem! Ugh.

Would it benefit at this point to just begin by eating back exercise calories but keep my calories at 1350? Or maybe just increasing to my bmr of 1600?

A big jump like that CAN be scary... I suggest that you increase your food by 100 calories a week until you at least reach your BMR. I think ideally you should be eating 1850-1900!
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Here are my numbers..

Height 62 inches
    Current weight 192
    Goal weight 169
    Current body fat 34
    Goal body fat 25

I would recommend not going below your BMR. You should probably set your calories to 1800 and then eat back your exercise calories. 1350 just sounds way too low.
  • Melzicious
    Options
    I'm not new to weight loss (lost 25 lbs in 2008), but I'm new to this site. Just to give you some background, I'm 5'6" 149lbs and about 23% body fat. I'm shooting for maybe 145lbs I'm guessing but really the goal is to get under 20% body fat.

I lol'd when the calculator here told me I should eat like 1200 calories. But I like how you can adjust your calories and macros to be however you want. So, I set my daily calories to 1500, which is slightly above my BMR, but plan to eat my exercise calories back. So in reality I'll be consuming anywhere from 1500-2000 calories per day depending on exercise. We'll see what happens!
  • treeeee
    treeeee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options

To figure out your TDEE use this:

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Then you subtract the 15%- 20% to have the deficit you want.

I actually only subtract 250-300 calories because I am in the last 10 pounds I want to lose. I have heard and believe that the last 20-15 pounds should be slower so you don't lose as much muscle mass... just my two cents! :wink:

Holy cow. You guys are totally full of awesome.

I figured all this out, and hope I did it correctly! I exercise 6 days a week, but I don't know if I should call it "hard" or not so I went in between the 3 - 5 days of moderate exercise and the 6 days of hard (multiplied by 1.6). I do strength training, intervals, and high intensity cardio. Most workouts are 45 - 60 minutes or so. Anyway, that makes my TDEE about 2288, and subtracting 15 - 20% puts me at a calorie range of about 1830 - 1945/day.

I know I'm not the first to say this, but--WHOA. That is just so much higher than we've been taught to eat while "dieting." I am already eating over 1600 daily, and often over 1700, so this isn't a huge jump! I think I'll try to eat around 1700-1800 for the next couple of weeks, and see how things continue to go.

Many, many thanks to all who offered advice and help!!
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    First of all the scale pisses me off! I stick to my calories (and I eat my exercise calories) to a T! And I am exercising daily. I feel like I am losing inches (next week is my measure week so we will see). My hubby and kids say they see a difference. My blood sugars are going down. I am scared of this whole upping my calories, but what have I got to lose? Gonna do it and see what happens!
  • MrsSpace
    MrsSpace Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later!