who started carbs for breakfast?

Options
whos bright idea was it to eat carbs and breads for breakfast? where is the logic? i would take an egg and bacon and a little cheese any day. makes me feel great with no crash!

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with whole wheat toast? I have that with peanut butter, a bit of banana and a hard boiled egg 4-5 times a week and I love it.

I'd rather have that than worry about the fat in the bacon and the cheese any ol' day.

To each their own.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I have a whole grain toast with egg whites, canadian bacon and cheese every morning. On mornings I don't have the toast, I feel hungrier earlier. The toast helps me get through to lunch.
    I don't see a problem with having bread in the morning.

As a general rule, I eat most of my carbs by the afternoon, any carbs I eat at night come from vegetables. Or a shake if I worked out.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    whos bright idea was it to eat carbs and breads for breakfast? where is the logic? i would take an egg and bacon and a little cheese any day. makes me feel great with no crash!

Every body is different. If I eat only protein for breakfast, I am really hungry soon afterward. For my body, a mix of carbs and protein works. Your breakfast makes you feel great- that would leave me starved by 9 am.
  • Bailey543
    Options
    I have to agree with both sides. I have done both and have been happy with both, so l tend to agree with "to each their own". I do not feel like carbs are "the devil", but I don't think they're great. However, I couldn't stay with the Atkins or Paleo lifestyle forever, so I've gone back to strict calorie counting.
    I think both ways work for different people. I have a bagel thin with WW cream cheese for breakfast every morning. I used to have an egg or 2 and I lost weight both ways. Just a matter of how you want to do it I suppose.
  • MsBeautifullOne
    MsBeautifullOne Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes you happy I love it!!
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I eat two sliced of whole wheat bread smeared with a tablespoon of humus every morning and never crash.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I would love bacon, eggs and cheese for breakfast every morning, but I don't want to deal with the mess of cooking every morning.

An asiago cheese bagel is my typical breakfast. Buy them at the grocer, store them in the fridge, pop one in the microwave for 20 seconds... good to go.
  • MariaMariaM
    Options
    I would love bacon, eggs and cheese for breakfast every morning, but I don't want to deal with the mess of cooking every morning.

An asiago cheese bagel is my typical breakfast. Buy them at the grocer, store them in the fridge, pop one in the microwave for 20 seconds... good to go.

I know is not for everyone. My husband can't believe I do it every morning. I have it down to a science now so it doesn't take me long. I prepare it while the espresso from my stove top espresso maker is brewing (i make my own latte). I love this breakfast and with the latte it is just over 400 calories. It has a good combination of carbs, fats and protein.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

There's an easy way to do eggs, bacon, etc with no mess. Preheat oven to 350, get a muffin pan and spray with PAM. Chop up some cooked bacon, green peppers, onions and cheese and put tablespoon in each muffin cup. Mix 6 eggs and a carton of EggBeaters and then pour into muffin cups. Cook for 30 minutes. Dump them out, put in ziplocks, freeze. Each morning, pop one or two or ten in microwave for 3 minutes. Quick and easy, no mess. I make 2 dozen at a time and put 3 to a ziplock. Between 75 and 125 calories depending on how much cheese, etc. I use eggbeaters (egg whites) to keep calorie count down.
  • MariaMariaM
    Options

There's an easy way to do eggs, bacon, etc with no mess. Preheat oven to 350, get a muffin pan and spray with PAM. Chop up some cooked bacon, green peppers, onions and cheese and put tablespoon in each muffin cup. Mix 4 eggs and a carton of EggBeaters and then pour into muffin cups. Cook for 30 minutes. Dump them out, put in ziplocks, freeze. Each morning, pop one or two or ten in microwave for 3 minutes. Quick and easy, no mess. I make 2 dozen at a time and put 3 to a ziplock. Betwen

I read something similar in another blog or magazine, can't remember. How does it taste after it has been microwaved? That is I think the only thing that is stopping me from doing this.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Probably the guys that work on farms and bust their butts off 12 hours a day
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

Pretty sure grains have been a staple in breakfast for a few hundred years now. Those morons, I mean WHAT were they thinking, who needs carbs? Really.......

OH PLEASE REPORT ME.....
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Who started breakfast?
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Who started breakfast?

Dunno. But I finished it.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Since when are carbs the only breakfast foods? I mean, you say yourself that you eat heavy proteins (that are also all very common breakfast foods....)
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    5 or 6 nights a week before I go to bed I through the following in a crockpot
    1/4 Steel Cut oats
    1 cup of water
    big pinch of kosher salt
    Some dried fruit (6 dried apple rings, a tablespoon of dried blueberries or the like)

Since it's not simple carbs, it keeps me full until lunch. I generally add a DROP of milk and a siver of smartbalance. Oh and a packet of splenda and a shake of cinnamon if it goes with the dried fruit.

Big thing is make sure you have UNSULFITED fruit if you try this, otherwise you will ruin the oatmeal.

The other one or two days, I'll have eggs and turkey bacon.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I miss being able to have carbs for breakfast, but I can't have many anymore, so it's protein for me. I think the old fashioned idea of a breakfast is bacon, eggs, toast, ham steak, french toast, and coffee. I mean if you go from a fantasy reference, you can look at Pleasantville and see how much they had for breakfast!

I feel better on a high protein breakfast because I don't crash. I know people though that feel better after a bowl of cereal. Really depends on personal preference and what your body reacts to positively and negatively. Vegans don't get up and cook bacon and eggs every morning and they seem to do just fine. :)
  • erikastarryiz
    erikastarryiz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Egg white omeletts with lots fresh baby spinach and grated parmesan cheese. Best breakfast of champions I've found so far.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my cereal, toast, english muffin, bagel, actually what ever I feel like for breakfast, sometimes its alot of protein and sometimes its a crap load of carbs, to each their own!
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    If your work involves alot of physical activity, you can eat pretty much what you want. And you would probably need to get enough calories thoughout the day.

So the thread titie is pretty misleading because it's without context.
This discussion has been closed.