who started carbs for breakfast?

Options

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I need a mix of carbs and protein to keep me full in the morning. Just eating protein (e.g. eggs and bacon) makes me cranky and hungry shortly thereafter. My carb of choice is my homemade bread loaded with walnuts and a glass of skim milk.

When will we ever collectively learn that what works for one will not work for all?
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Its the white man holding us yellow men down!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Are you saying there's something wrong with my Fruit Loops I ate this morning?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I love having steel cut oats for breakfast. I feel satiated, it lasts until lunch easily.

I try to balance my diet. Including grains, bread, cereal, and all sorts of carbs.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I need a mix of carbs and protein to keep me full in the morning. Just eating protein (e.g. eggs and bacon) makes me cranky and hungry shortly thereafter. My carb of choice is my homemade bread loaded with walnuts and a glass of skim milk.

When will we ever collectively learn that what works for one will not work for all?
    ^^ This.

I don't think anyone said, "you should eat carbs for breakfast." But as a runner and cyclist, I enjoy carbs. They are my friend.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    whos bright idea was it to eat carbs and breads for breakfast? where is the logic? i would take an egg and bacon and a little cheese any day. makes me feel great with no crash!

You had me at "BACON"!!! :love:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    People probably thought it made sense because carbs are a food and breakfast is a meal where you eat foods..... I know it sounds crazy. I guess no one ever told them bread was poison and they just had to go on living their lives like everything was ok and not starving.

Thankfully modern society knows better and has people running around screaming about the evils of bread everywhere you look. And society has never been healthier because of it!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    People probably thought it made sense because carbs are a food and breakfast is a meal where you eat foods..... I know it sounds crazy. I guess no one ever told them bread was poison and they just had to go on living their lives like everything was ok and not starving.

Thankfully modern society knows better and has people running around screaming about the evils of bread everywhere you look. And society has never been healthier because of it!

:laugh:
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    barf barf barf.

i can't eat solid food first thing when i wake up - i have to be up for at least a couple of hours.

barf.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I love to start with bacon and eggs and cheese, too. and then I put all of that inside a toasted english muffin.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    You can blame Dr. Kellog. :wink:
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    OP, are you really a weather girl? I only ask, because I've just seen two of your posts on here today, and I kind of assume wherever you live it must rain all the time. you've got kind of this ... cloud.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If I know I am not going to be able to snack or eat again in 2 hours, I have to have my carbs, for me it was a bagel with simply fruit spread and a half of a grape fruit. My does not stay full on protien alone, and I should know I have tried Atkins and failed miserably could never get past week 2 no matter the weight loss, I know my body needs a healthy balance of carbs, and protien.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

or that dang cap'n!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered who started "breakfast foods" in general. I'm not a big fan of eggs, but they make me a little nauseated early in the morning. And sweet stuff like donuts, same deal. I'm not a breakfast eater, but when I do I'm more likely to eat dinner leftovers than anything considered traditional breakfast foods.

Maybe it was conveniece farm foods. Do chickens lay mostly in the morning, and cured meats and bread are easily stored? Pancakes quick and easy before heading out work the fields all day?
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    whos bright idea was it to eat carbs and breads for breakfast? where is the logic? i would take an egg and bacon and a little cheese any day. makes me feel great with no crash!

I'll take the eggs, cheese, bacon AND buttered toast. :flowerforyou:
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options

or that dang cap'n!

captain crunch, right?
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Probably the guys that work on farms and bust their butts off 12 hours a day

that....
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options

So then have your egg and bacon.

Whose bright idea was it to accuse carbs for everything wrong with their body?

This is another case of "to each their own."

I typically like a protein heavy breakfast b/c I know it'll hold me over for what seems like ever. However, this morning I had an Ezekiel English Muffin and Almond Butter. Guess what? I didn't crash. Or reach for a mid-morning snack. And I'm pretty sure it didn't immediately turn to fat.
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal most days for breakfast. It keeps me full longer than eggs do.
This discussion has been closed.