who started carbs for breakfast?

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I trust the Mayo Clinic like I trust the FDA or the USDA..............not at all.

The Mayo Clinic touts what the government says they should.............The food pyramid says we should be eating 6-12 servings of grains per day which is outrageously high and the Mayo Clinic is merely backing them up.

and your source of info that proves that 6-12 servings of is "outrageously high" is??????
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    People probably thought it made sense because carbs are a food and breakfast is a meal where you eat foods..... I know it sounds crazy. I guess no one ever told them bread was poison and they just had to go on living their lives like everything was ok and not starving.

Thankfully modern society knows better and has people running around screaming about the evils of bread everywhere you look. And society has never been healthier because of it!

there is nothing wrong with whole grains in fact if you do a little research, you will find that the Mayo Clinic, that's right world reknown Mayo says that they are esstential for a healthy diet.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/whole-grains/NU00204

I trust the Mayo Clinic like I trust the FDA or the USDA..............not at all.

The Mayo Clinic touts what the government says they should.............The food pyramid says we should be eating 6-12 servings of grains per day which is outrageously high and the Mayo Clinic is merely backing them up.

I love when we get to this part of the debate. Apparently not only are carbs bad and people don't even realize it, but there's a huge government conspiracy to make sure we all think they're ok. Groups of scientists and high ranking public officials gather in dark rooms to trick everyone into eating foods humanity has been eating for thousands of years...

Is bread not being harmful simply not an option for you zealots?
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    whos bright idea was it to eat carbs and breads for breakfast? where is the logic? i would take an egg and bacon and a little cheese any day. makes me feel great with no crash!

Wheat is murder! Kill ALL the carbs!
    YES!!! WE SHALL KILL THEM WITH OUR TEETH AND DIGESTIVE ENZYMES!!!
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I avoid grains because they are inflamitory. Making them a risk factor for heart disease. I eat saturated and monounsaturated fats because they are anti-inflamitory.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    this was more of a theraputic rant for me. i have celiac and went our to a b-fast place and it sucked i wanted waffles and pancakes and toast but cant. waah. oh well, i think bfast should just be all protein so that i dont miss out lmao!!
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I tried 2 days last week just having a protein based brekkie and lunch whilst working.Sstupid move as I felt far more tired during the day

I see white bread as a naughty, and try to get my breakfast carbs from oats/fruit/veg and flax
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I avoid grains because they are inflamitory. Making them a risk factor for heart disease. I eat saturated and monounsaturated fats because they are anti-inflamitory.

Don't be silly. Whole grains are not a risk factor for heart disease.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    balance.

a little carb, fat and protein in every meal with me...
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    If you are really curious about carbs for breakfast take a look at Will Kellogg (a vegetarian) and the practices he put in place at a sanitarium he worked at. He made grains easier to prepare and consume. Once people left their hard working farm jobs for the city, they needed something that wasn't as caloric as eggs and bacon.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

obesity and lack of exercise is also a risk factor for heart disease.

I'll take my carbs so I can go on a 5 mile run. Limiting would lower energy levels and therefore make it more difficult for me to exercise.
  • digitalsteel
    Options

Don't be silly. Whole grains are not a risk factor for heart disease.

I am not being silly... While whole grains tend to have a better nutrition profile, and fibre which is anti-inflamitory, they are still a risk for most western diseases. That includes heart disease.
  • I don't understand why people think carbs are the enemy. I eat a giant bowl of oatmeal for breakfast everyday, it gives me enough energy to get through my work day. I'll gladly take some eggs and bacon with my breakfast but it better include some carbs as well.

Before a long workout I always eat some kind of carb too, I feel like it helps me perform better. Think whatever you want about them, but I will NEVER stop eating them.

This.

People who can't have carbs aside............

Carbs give you energy. It's good to eat them in the morning because they burn off slowly and you don't need them as much later in the day when you're less active (unless you live a fairly active lifestyle). This is just one reasoning.

That being said... I still eat what I want in the morning.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    obesity and lack of exercise is also a risk factor for heart disease.

I'll take my carbs so I can go on a 5 mile run. Limiting would lower energy levels and therefore make it more difficult for me to exercise.

*internet high five*

Thank you.
  • I'll take my carbs so I can go on a 5 mile run. Limiting would lower energy levels and therefore make it more difficult for me to exercise.

I've found the same. Especially in the mornings. If I've only had, say a protein shake for a quick fix, it doesn't take me as far.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Carbs give you energy dont they? So it would make sense to have it in the beginning of the day to give you fuel for the rest of the day. but you should probably not just have carbs, you need protein and fiber and stuff too.. right now i am actually having cracked wheat toast and scrambled eggs with potatoes and mushrooms..nom nom
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

I love when we get to this part of the debate. Apparently not only are carbs bad and people don't even realize it, but there's a huge government conspiracy to make sure we all think they're ok. Groups of scientists and high ranking public officials gather in dark rooms to trick everyone into eating foods humanity has been eating for thousands of years...

Is bread not being harmful simply not an option for you zealots?

Note: I am NOT a conspiracy theorist in any way, but I am a realist. A number of years ago I did a consulting project for the USDA, and I learned that they aren't an impartial bunch of regulators. They also promote sales of US agricultural products, and they work closely with the producers. In addition to that, the agricultural lobby is HUGE and *very* rich, and they really really want USDA to recommend that people eat a lot of dairy and grains.

So no, I do not trust dietary recommendations from USDA, at all.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I am not being silly... While whole grains tend to have a better nutrition profile, and fibre which is anti-inflamitory, they are still a risk for most western diseases. That includes heart disease.

Source please????
  • digitalsteel
    Options

Honestly, that was one of the worst things i've read in a while and I just finished Zoe Harcombe's book so that makes that article pretty bad

QFT
This discussion has been closed.