MFP Friends... how do you decide who they will be?

Options

Replies

• Lorrie_73
    Lorrie_73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Taso42..........Okay, that's funny!

No, he's serious. The dexterity portion of the test is excruciating.

Baaahaaaaa.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    okay, now the serious answer...just finished reading all the other posts on this topic. I usually accept most friend requests. I don't delete unless someone has not been active for over 6 months. I just regained back the 33 pounds I lost (sigh) and I stopped logging in for a month because I was so upset that I had regained. I am so glad my friends did not delete me! I try to reply and encourage all of my friends because reading about their success encourages me.
  • Chubacca007
    Options
    I Google their name and address. Then I watch them for a few days to see if they're creepy, before accepting their request.
  • courtney131
    Options
    For the most part I accept everyone! And as long as they are active, focus on fitness, and are positive, I keep them :)
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    I have two friends. My wife and a friend who saw this on my FaceBook page and joined. I have received one friend request and have not accepted or denied yet. That was from someone whose husband is in the military like me. I did not get on here to have it be another facebook.
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi. I haven't turned anyone down but those that I am friends with are people that offer encouragement and share their successes as well as downfalls. You can never have too many friends when their input offers you that extra nudge of support to help you stick with your goals.
  • carrie1013
    Options
    Everyone is welcome...If I find that they are toxic, or annoying, they get deleted.
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Hi. I haven't turned anyone down but those that I am friends with are people that offer encouragement and share their successes as well as downfalls. You can never have too many friends when their input offers you that extra nudge of support to help you stick with your goals.

I concur :-)
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Most of my friends are real life friends, but like you I mostly send requests based on a post they have made and I send a note telling them why I have requested them.

While we are on this subject, the first week I joined, I sent several messages out to people who i had been inspired by through their blogs or posts. Unfortunately I did not even get a thank you or any type of acknowledgement from any of them. Also the people who make a post looking for friends and have 15 status updates a day but fail to communicate with you even once a week after friending you. What is the point of having 100 friends if you don't interact with them?? It kind of turned me off to really reaching out to anyone else. (Sorry - rant over).
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I use to accept pals only with messages but now I accept pals based on if I see them around supporting..I currently have quite of a bit of pals waiting to be accepted because i hadn't had the heart to deny anyone....Its unfortunate but I cannot support everyone...I would Love to because that can't be the case..I believe in giving support and receiving it..No I don't need support daily but if I wasn't looking for support I wouldn't have any pals...So I give out what I expect back....

New Pals Acceptance...if I see unsupportive pals, or negative ones I delete and may add someone that has sent a request and I see throughtout my current pals that they are supportive...and balance from there....
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    I barely add because I don't want to force people to accept. But if you add me, I'll accept and if you turn out to be a total creeper, I delete lol Simple, yet effective!
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    I don't often solicit MFP friends personally, but when I do it is almost always because something they said in a post is something I can relate to. Or maybe it is something I notice in a photo.

Now, I "know" that I have a HORRIBLE looking avatar photo, that by itself probably steers people away from asking me to be friends... I mean, look at it... it is BAD! But I also want it there for now for motivation.... that was me about 40 pounds ago. I never want to see "that" me again.

So, often I wonder, when I get requests from people, why they decided to ask me.... for some unknown reason, I have a fair amount of young ladies who have requested to be friends with me.... maybe I remind them of their grandfather, LOL.... ( OK, I am only 49, but still ).

Many times I get a request, as I am sure you do, to be friends with someone who has given you no clue why they want to be an MFP friend. So far, I have yet to turn anybody down, but I really do appreciate it when I get at least a small note with the request.

So, how do you decide who you will and won't be friends with? Do you actually turn people down?

I'm sure you don't remind them of their grandpa! That picture reminds me of a cuddly teddy bear more than an old fart but they're probably impressed with your accomplishments or something you said in one of the forums. :wink:

With that said, I generally don't deny friend requests. If I do, it's because one of the following reasons:

- You failed to complete any portion of your profile and you still haven't attached a profile picture.
    - You are way beyond my years, our goals have nothing in common and you send me a blank request.
    - You're a skinny girl who sends a blank request. No offense- but if you don't leave a message I don't understand why you are befriending me.

I hate deleting friends. If someone has not logged on, I will comment on their page to check in with them. If they don't respond to that message, don't leave an update message, don't send a personal message or fail to log in, I will delete them. :cry:

I'm not a friend hoarder but I hate denying requests. I've been lucky to have connected with people who share similar goals and who are beyond supportive and encouraging. The main reasons I add friends:

- If you send a friend request, and you have PCOS, you are automatically accepted. Our weight loss efforts (or other goals) may be completely different but it's likely we share the same struggles and I want to support you in any way I can.
    - We have similar weight loss goals (have a similar starting weight or goal weight).
    - You send me a message with your request mentioning why you would like to be my friend.
    - You have already lost 50-100lbs (my ideal goal).
    - You've said something remarkable in the forums.
    - You're a guy with killer abs. :flowerforyou: Not because they are nice to look at but because I'm interested in lifting weights and think you may be helpful in offering advice. In my head (true or not) guys are just have more experience with lifting. Sort-of how most women are just naturals at applying makeup...
    -You're a women who likes lifting weights. Because that's just awesome!
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking my food and excercise for almost 90 days here and have lost 25 lbs and 3.5 inches on my waist. I only friend real life friends. I have had lost of people try to friend me that look like they are using it as a dating site. I think you should use it however you choose, but in my opinion it is a tool.

Weight Loss Secrets ( don't tell anyone, it is worth millions )

Eat Less + Move More = Weight Loss

Change your lifestyle = weight loss

Slow Loss is the best

I was a little worried today when I realised that someone I had agreed to friend, then after only 3 days didn't log in for 9, and then I suddenly saw this person with a different screenname, photo and another 119 friends in 5 days, almost all of whom had sexy screen photos!
  • Dashal
    Dashal Posts: 13
    Options
    I found this thread last night and was intrigued by people saying they 'don't accept friendship requests without a message or a decent profile with similar likes etc.

So I friendship requested 4 of them.

2 accepted straight away

1 asked me why I wanted to be friends with them

Actually I can't remember if there was a 4th

Initial conclusions: I love jumping in puddles
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I found this thread last night and was intrigued by people saying they 'don't accept friendship requests without a message or a decent profile with similar likes etc.

2 accepted straight away

I was the 4th.

So did you get wet when you jumped in the puddle?
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

2 accepted straight away

That's because, no shirt trumps all rules...and I will happily admit it!
  • tracyturnblad
    Options
    Bump
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I accept anyone who sends me a friend request. I feel that if I don't, I am risking the opportunity of meeting some really nice people.
    I am extremely shy and insecure, so I don't send friend requests- having said that, I understand why someone might not send me a message along with their friend request and I certainly wouldn't hold that against them.
    I don't often delete people's friendship, either.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Thus far I've accepted all friend requests. I figure we're both here for the same reason.

I only removed one friend (a male) who sent me a message that was inappropriate.