Do u take ur shoes off before entering someone's home :-?

Options

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Biggest pet peeve in my own house. My parents were very anal about that growing up- a big reason why my dad didn't want company over. Lol! Friends and family know I expect them to take off their shoes before entering my house. If I'm going into someone's house where it doesn't matter or their house is dirty, I will use their welcome mat to wipe my shoes and I will keep my shoes on.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    In Canada it's considered rude not to take your shoes off, however, when I go to the States its normal to leave them on.
  • New_Atti2ude
    New_Atti2ude Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Always! At home and at someone elses home. There is nothing weird about it when you walk around outside your stepping in saliva, bugs, dirt with bugs, poop, piss, trash, whatever, all day long and then tracking it in your home or someone elses. I find it disqusting! There is a mat at my door, and a shoe rack right before you enter the foyer. NEED I SAY MORE.

That's like someone coming in your bedroom and sitting there *kitten* on your pillow! WHERE THEY DO THAT AT? You wouldn't believe some peoples' lack of common courteous. IT'S DOWN RIGHT UNCOUTH!:mad:

FINISHED RANT...:happy:
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a house in Canada where I have been allowed to keep my shoes on. It's weird too. I mean, you walk around the world, who knows what's on the bottom of your shoes, and then you're just tracking that into someone's house.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If they ask I will, I know how annoying it is when someone tracks up your floor! I ask my kids to take off their shoes while they are in the house and I do -except for my workouts of course , but thats on a wood floor..and I keep my shoes clean..
    What is the most annoying is how adults dont know how to wipe their feet yet! How rude!
  • DontEverGiveUp
    DontEverGiveUp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do not like when people wear their shoes in my house....and what irks me the most is when they just walk in with them on without even asking. Absolutely annoying! I will look at their shoes and if they look clean and are only going to be here for a short time, I'll tell them to keep them on but if they are dirty looking, I won't. Now that I have a new kitchen floor (2 of my doorways are in the kitchen from outside), I will probably not let anyone come in with their shoes. I respect others homes and always take my shoes off even if they tell me to. I don't like it when people do it to my home, I won't do it to anyone elses!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    In Canada it's considered rude not to take your shoes off, however, when I go to the States its normal to leave them on.

This.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned Canada yet? In Canada is polite to take your shoes off inside someone's home. When I moved to the States I learned that people generally don't do that (esp California!) and some even think it's rude to take your shoes off! So now when I go to a new person's home I sort of get "stuck" at the door, wondering what to do... I just try to copy whatever they did.

I'm in canada....it's considered very rude to wear shoes in someones house unless told to! Considering we have 7 months of snow or muddy weather.... i'de be ticked if someone tracked through my house with dirty shoes. However, if the guest were elderly or disabled, i tell them to leave their shoes on.

I aalways take my shoes off in other homes, even if told not to....it's just weird to me to have shoes on inside and high heels damage hardwood!!

My hubby is a plumbing contractor and always removes his boots unless told to keep them on. If the home is dirty he keeps them on but puts disposable botties over his boots (like hospital booties). Our employees do the same.

Most houses here are designed to accomodate shoe removal...front entry with a bench and coat closet. I find it odd to open the outside door and walk directly into the house without some type of entry hallway.. such as the house we rented in Florida.
  • leafstucker16
    leafstucker16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Always, I don't know if it's more of an American thing to wear shoes in someones house but I haven't seen that in Canada, I always take them off
  • kanmuri
    kanmuri Posts: 112
    Options
    When we lived in Japan, I took them off systematically, even when I worked at school. Here, in Canada, I take them off most of the time, but in summer, I sometimes keep them on. At other people's places, I do as they do.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    In my culture (From hawaii) we take our shoes off before entering. It is a custom adapted from the Japanese culture. It is a form of respect - and on the plus side - Your carpets stay alot cleaner!! hahah

I still wear house sandals in the home cause my feet cold on hardwoods :)
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    woops, I don't.. maybe i should?

last time my friend came over and i noticed he did. i never do at his place. :ohwell: am i supposed to?
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I find that a funny question!! Up here in Canada we ALWAYS take off our shoes!! We NEVER leave them on :)
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i guess it depends if everybody in the house is barefoot

heehee i thought this smiley was cute :smooched:
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I always take my shoes off at home and when I go to someone else's home. Even if a friend says don't worry about it I still take them off. I also have a saying posted on my door asking people to please remove their shoes. It drives me crazy when someone wears their shoes on my carpet. I have small kids on the floor playing and I don't want people tracking crap in on their shoes.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I always ask when I'm at another person's house, because although I prefer to take my shoes off, I know some people don't always like the idea of someone walking around their house in socks or bare feet. People have feet issues. I get it.

I ALWAYS take mine off when I get home, though, especially since we have cows and horses, and spend time in the pasture with them. I don't like the idea of tracking cow and horse manure into the house if I can help it, so those puppies always come off right in at the door.
  • strandedj
    strandedj Posts: 128
    Options
    My sister always makes us take our shoes off at her house. We don't at ours. Maybe thats why our carpet is always dirty looking!
  • lae145
    lae145 Posts: 1
    Options
    I AGREE..UR SUPPOSE TO TAKE OFF UR SHOES!!!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Always, I don't know if it's more of an American thing to wear shoes in someones house but I haven't seen that in Canada, I always take them off

There really is no such thing as "an American thing." You will meet two people who grew up next door to each other who have different ideas about any given subject, including this one.

I guess it's "an American thing" to do what feels right to you or something like that.

I hate wearing shoes 99.9% of the time, but I have friends who hate not wearing shoes except in bed or the shower.

Oh, and my mother's sister is a "shoes off" person while my mother doesn't care either way.

However, my aunt will relax her no shoes rule for people who are not blood relatives.
  • orchidsand
    Options
    I live a place where shoes are optional wear, so more often than not there are no shoes to take off.