Do u take ur shoes off before entering someone's home :-?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• orchidsand
    Options
    I live a place where shoes are optional wear, so more often than not there are no shoes to take off.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I used to take my shoes off as soon as I entered someone's house. This summer, however, I got plantar fasciitis, so walking around in bare feet is NOT an option any more.
    In my own house, I have house shoes and outside shoes. I usually don't take a second pair along with me when I go to someone else's house.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that so many people take their shoes off in the house, but I realize lots of people have carpeting and that it's a cultural thing. I always like to wear shoes or slippers. Even walking on carpeting is an unpleasant sensation for me. I cringe when one of my children or grandchildren walks through my house barefoot, leaving footprints on my laminate flooring. At least wear slippers or socks, please!
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i always, always ask: their house, their rules. if it's optional, i will take them off. frankly, i hate wearing shoes in the house. i wear crocs or slippers in mine, since i can't handle bare floors either.

it *is* a cultural thing. i've a japanese background so it's been ingrained in me from birth that shoes indoors are verboten. we/they just do not do that, it's separate indoor slippers if there has to be footwear. i'm not sure about other asian cultures. not that i don't have western/american friends who have a no-shoe-indoors rule but i have noticed that as a whole, it's not something westerners stop to think about.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I never take my boots off, in my house or other people's houses. If someone insists I take my shoes off, I usually stop going over that person's house, unless I absolutely have to in which case I bring a second pair of boots. I am completely uncomfortable without shoes on, and not a fan of slip hazards walking around in my socks. Oh and my ankle swells up to the size of softballs when I have nothing supporting them, and that sort of sucks.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    We don't wear shoes in our house, and I do take mine off at others' houses.
  • Nerple
    Options
    i always, always ask: their house, their rules.

I was raised completely different, to go out of your way to accommodate guests, not place your house rules upon them.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Why would I need to do that? :huh:

poop.jpg
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Heck yes, I take them off.

In fact, ever since moving to Canada 5 years ago, I have yet to wear shoes in anyone's house!
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options

I was raised completely different, to go out of your way to accommodate guests, not place your house rules upon them.

uh.... i'm not sure how to take this. i'll assume you didn't mean to be offensive.
  • Nerple
    Options

uh.... i'm not sure how to take this. i'll assume you didn't mean to be offensive.

Didn't mean to be offensive at all
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    One thing i've noticed is americans wear their shoes inside their houses while canadians don't
    Im not too sure if im the only one whos noticed that :S
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a house in Canada where I have been allowed to keep my shoes on. It's weird too. I mean, you walk around the world, who knows what's on the bottom of your shoes, and then you're just tracking that into someone's house.

im glad someone else agreed to it not happening in canada
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options

That's interesting...i was raised the opposite...being an invited guest in someones home was a privledge. I'm pretty sure if someone came in with muddy boots, opened my fridge and lit a smoke...they wouldn't be invited back! LOL

It's interesting to see the differences! :smile:
  • darkknightfan
    darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I will if im going to someones house for the first time.. my friends that know me well know its better for me to leave the shoes on .. The ummm..."fragrance" can very noticible ;-)
  • DayumStraightIAmEllie
    DayumStraightIAmEllie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My step mother never let us wear shoes on the carpet. They could(of course.) So i wear shoes inside the house(unless told not to) but never wear it on others carpets.