objectified at the gym (rant)

Options

Replies

• Kennie
    Kennie Posts: 31
    Options
    I dress for myself. Period. If I think a style is cute its because I think its cute not you or your boss or your boss' dog. If I wear something to work that is more dressy it is because it is work appropriate and goes along with the job which does not say I am dressing for anyone else. It is saying i respect my position. Do I like to show off my abs? Yes, I am proud of them...am I going to wear a shirt that shows them off while I teach my kindergarten students? NO, thats for the beach and not work appropriate. I feel sorry for someone who puts on anything just to get a reaction from someone else.
    There is a HUGE difference btw dressing work appropriate and dressing for someone else.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    beating a dead horse is just cruel:wink:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    IcePrincess:
    you aren't genetically altered, you're physically altered. (your DNA didn't change, just appearance)

Yeah......I know.....I was just quoting what the person said before me. I know the difference between the two.

I didn't get implants because I watched MTV and they said I should. I like boobs. Always have. It's the first thing that I notice on a woman.

My point was that I didn't get them to be objectified by men. I got them because I wanted them. It wasn't a sugery that I just decided to up and go get. I did a lot of research and took time deciding if it was the right thing for me to do. In the end.....it was and I have not regretted it since.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    IcePrincess:
    you aren't genetically altered, you're physically altered. (your DNA didn't change, just appearance)

Yeah......I know.....I was just quoting what the person said before me. I know the difference between then two.

I didn't get implants because I watched MTV and they said I should. I like boobs. Always have. It's the first thing that I notice on a woman.

My point was that I didn't get them to be objectified by men. I got them because I wanted them. It wasn't a sugery that I just decided to up and go get. I did a lot of research and took time deciding if it was the right thing for me to do. In the end.....it was and I have not regretted it since.

the main reason I look at your posts is the other AV

put it back up NOW:wink:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    IcePrincess:

Yeah......I know.....I was just quoting what the person said before me. I know the difference between then two.

the main reason I look at your posts is the other AV

put it back up NOW:wink:

DAMNIT DAVE!!! I feel like I am being objectified by you! :noway:

Now stop it or else. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. Just tonight we, as in my kids and me, (16 boy, 11 and 9 girls) were talking about what is considered beautiful and how that has changed throughout the ages. The Renaisance is a clear time when voluptous curves in women was considered beautiful. Since Twiggy...things have changed. Even the era of Beach babies...Annette Funacello (sp?) would have been considered "fat" if she wanted to star in a beach film!

Something to think about...

I'm not fat - I'm RETRO!!!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Interesting topic. Just tonight we, as in my kids and me, (16 boy, 11 and 9 girls) were talking about what is considered beautiful and how that has changed throughout the ages. The Renaisance is a clear time when voluptous curves in women was considered beautiful. Since Twiggy...things have changed. Even the era of Beach babies...Annette Funacello (sp?) would have been considered "fat" if she wanted to star in a beach film!

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • sonjavon
    Options
    Ok - now that I've read the whole thread through - I can comment more...

As for those who have implants or any other plastic surgery... if it makes you feel better about yourself, I have no problem with it.

Here's what I DO have a problem with:
    My son, when he was in 2nd grade coming home crying because he was made fun of for being "fat" - he's never been fat a day in his life. He threw up his dinner several times because he was so concerned about his weight.

Young girls feeling like they need to be straight up and down or curvier... it seems whatever they're NOT is what they SHOULD be... this hasn't changed in the past 25 years or so... I was in 3rd grade, wearing a C cup and had a tiny waist... I wanted to be straight up and down, like my friend - who wanted curves.

There are successful people out there who have not played into the whole "objectification" game - they worked harder, they studied more and they proved themselves. Let's face it - no one hired Martha Stewart for her "hotness" - but I don't think you can argue with her success.

As a mom - I have a hard time with what is shown on tv. I remember blushing when I was a kid and Massengil commercials came on. NOW - my 11 year old can tell you all about Erectile Dysfunction, several different birth control pills, several different weight loss pills, etc. It's sick.

We need more companies and media outlets to take a stand for what's right...
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options

As for those who have implants or any other plastic surgery... if it makes you feel better about yourself, I have no problem with it.

My son, when he was in 2nd grade coming home crying because he was made fun of for being "fat" - he's never been fat a day in his life. He threw up his dinner several times because he was so concerned about his weight.

Young girls feeling like they need to be straight up and down or curvier... it seems whatever they're NOT is what they SHOULD be... this hasn't changed in the past 25 years or so... I was in 3rd grade, wearing a C cup and had a tiny waist... I wanted to be straight up and down, like my friend - who wanted curves.

There are successful people out there who have not played into the whole "objectification" game - they worked harder, they studied more and they proved themselves. Let's face it - no one hired Martha Stewart for her "hotness" - but I don't think you can argue with her success.

As a mom - I have a hard time with what is shown on tv. I remember blushing when I was a kid and Massengil commercials came on. NOW - my 11 year old can tell you all about Erectile Dysfunction, several different birth control pills, several different weight loss pills, etc. It's sick.

Amen,

I dont know many kids who go to the gym though and that is what this thread started out as. I do agree about what is on tv would have shocked my generation of kids. hell it shocks me sometimes!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

AMEN to that. Well said. Everybody seems to want what they don't have. It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

To each his own! Life is too short to worry about what everyone else is doing/ thinking/ looking like.
  • czewwhat
    Options
    I still think that there are not enough purple haired cat ladies in the world!

I am exactly Marilyn Monroe's dress size now, wow I'm retro too!
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options

You are so right. I'm so sorry to hear about your son. That's horrible. I hate that this is what we have to deal with and though there are many great things about this world, there are many things that make it so hard to raise children. You've named a few of them.

I hope your son is well and that he's learning how beautiful he is (or...cute or whatever an 11 yr old boy would prefer to be called. :smile: ) and how much more important, truly, inner beauty is than outer.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

As the kid who was made fun of to the point that I had to get therapy, I have to say...I watched TV too, and I NEVER acted that way. I think people treat the media as a scapegoat. Parenting needs to improve (not yours, but of the unruly kids) in order to a) prevent kids from spending so much time in front of the TV being inactive b) help kids understand that certain attitudes are inappropriate, whether or not they learned them from the media. Some parents are just crappy parents and they generally have crappy kids. Working with the boy scouts I saw kids get away with being SO rude RIGHT in front of their parents without any punishment. I don't think it should be left to the media to determine our values as a culture. I mean I personally don't have a problem with erectile dysfunction or birth control commercials...they're medical in nature and something a lot of people live with. I don't see them as innately sexual or inappropriate.

We have to define our own values and self worth and stop relying on others to make us feel good about ourselves.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options

That damn Twiggy! This is all HER fault. I say we pummel the b!tch!
  • czewwhat
    Options
    laughing so hard, we should go to the other thread "celebs you want to punch in the face" and add her name!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: While I am still battling the bulge I will insist on Zoftig being my choice:wink:
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options

As the kid who was made fun of to the point that I had to get therapy, I have to say...I watched TV too, and I NEVER acted that way. I think people treat the media as a scapegoat. Parenting needs to improve (not yours, but of the unruly kids) in order to a) prevent kids from spending so much time in front of the TV being inactive b) help kids understand that certain attitudes are inappropriate, whether or not they learned them from the media. Some parents are just crappy parents and they generally have crappy kids. Working with the boy scouts I saw kids get away with being SO rude RIGHT in front of their parents without any punishment. I don't think it should be left to the media to determine our values as a culture. I mean I personally don't have a problem with erectile dysfunction or birth control commercials...they're medical in nature and something a lot of people live with. I don't see them as innately sexual or inappropriate.

We have to define our own values and self worth and stop relying on others to make us feel good about ourselves.

I disagree with what you say...in some cases. At least with mine. I grew up with a wonderful mother. She was a stay at home mom most of my time at home. She allowed only 1 hour of TV a day, but we didn't even have time with that because we had to be involved in some sort of activities. We were in Awanas, and my sisters and I all danced. My brothers played/play a new sport each season. My mother has always told us we are beautiful. Even when I was uncomfortable with my image, which was probably from about 5th grade up (I mentioned either in this thread or another how awfully my "friends" treated me), my mother encouraged me to know my inner beauty as well as outer. Beauty and weight wasn't something that was talked about unless it was because I was complaining, and she was contradicting me by telling me I was beautiful.

I don't know how I got the image of myself that I had. But sometimes, it's still hard to watch TV and see the tall, lean model-like actresses. It has nothing to do with the way I was raised, though I don't blame the media either - but it does make it harder to have a healthy image when a "healthy" image of tall, skinny, flawless women are splashed across our TV and movie screens every day.
  • sonjavon
    Options

Oh - I do agree with you. I don't think that it's ALL the media - there are some seriously crappy parents out there. I don't use the media as a scapegoat - but I DO recognize that it plays a role in my sons views.
    But yes, bullying is a major issue. It is also one of the reasons why I now homeschool my son. My son is very active and always has been... he plays football, baseball, basketball and occasionally soccer. He is very competitive. I can't stress the importance that sports have played in my sons life: he learns teamwork, he learns how to push himself, he learns respect, he gets mom and dad's attention for 2 hours every night while we're at his practices (dad coaches and I'm "team mom"), most of all - he's learned to be proud of what his body can do.
    His body image is MUCH better now, thanks. But it was a scary bout of time when he was unwilling to wear certain shorts because they showed his "fat thighs". Or wouldn't wear certain shirts because of his fat stomach. By the way -this is a kid who was always slightly underweight until the last 2 years... when he began getting muscles.
    At 11 he can now do 50 pushups non-stop, proper form. If we hold his feet for balance - he can do 20 pushups standing in a handstand. He's strong!

My issue with the Erectile Dysfunction commercials is how they are sometimes presented. That and the commercials to ummm... get larger. There is such a thing as "too much information". Just my opinion.

I agree that it shouldn't be left to the media to determine our values as a culture - but I think we need to let the media know what our values are.
  • czewwhat
    Options

I disagree with what you say...in some cases. At least with mine. I grew up with a wonderful mother. She was a stay at home mom most of my time at home. She allowed only 1 hour of TV a day, but we didn't even have time with that because we had to be involved in some sort of activities. We were in Awanas, and my sisters and I all danced. My brothers played/play a new sport each season. My mother has always told us we are beautiful. Even when I was uncomfortable with my image, which was probably from about 5th grade up (I mentioned either in this thread or another how awfully my "friends" treated me), my mother encouraged me to know my inner beauty as well as outer. Beauty and weight wasn't something that was talked about unless it was because I was complaining, and she was contradicting me by telling me I was beautiful.

I don't know how I got the image of myself that I had. But sometimes, it's still hard to watch TV and see the tall, lean model-like actresses. It has nothing to do with the way I was raised, though I don't blame the media either - but it does make it harder to have a healthy image when a "healthy" image of tall, skinny, flawless women are splashed across our TV and movie screens every day.

First, you are a very pretty girl so be greatful god gave you that, second, look at the images on the internet of the "Stars" of yesteryear, Farrah Fawcett, and those in her era, they age just like all of us, they get gray hair, the men get bald and fuller in the middle, look at Jack Nicolson! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, look hard in the mirror! Beautiful teeth, nice smile, healthy hair! Health is what we are all striving for, Old and Ugly happens even to super stars. All those images on billboards and splashed across the screen are airbrushed unreal pictures, why do you think the paparazzi get so much money for a shot of a star out of their makeup, because they look just like you and me!
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Our children our growing up in different times. They need guidance, love, protection, touch, sympathy, friendship. They require us to be confidante, teacher, mentor, friend, parent, disciplinarian, coach, nutrionist and most of all, to be accepting of who they are, what they stand for and to be their hand up through all the trials and tribulations that this society of vanity and self indulgence throws at them. Our children are not only bombarded on TV, in schools and on the internet but withing their own social groups, sport teams and it pains me greatly to say even at home. How are we to deal with these changes when we as parents and those of influence over the younger children have no clue what it's like to be a kid in these times?? I receive kids in my home almost on a daily basis that are failed by society, not by the TV set, but by people who are supposed to love and cherish them! We are screwing up our own futures, we need to change our attitude from one of blame to one of hope and to extend a hand to those that need it. Anything that revolves around children just absolutely touches my heart, I have watched a little girl die in the ER room of FAS, with no one but me, a mere stranger to hold her hand. These problems that face the youth begin way before they can ever understand what the media is throwing at them, some of these so called "bad" kids, have never had the chance....k I gotta get off this topic cause it's way too hard to even go there right now.....peace out!
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options

At 11 he can now do 50 pushups non-stop, proper form. If we hold his feet for balance - he can do 20 pushups standing in a handstand. He's strong!

Wow! Impressive! Reminds me of my baby sister. She used to do pushups on her knuckles, showing off for the boys and winning bets all over the place. She's older now and can't quite do pushups like that anymore, but she also has the excuse of being pregnant. LOL.