objectified at the gym (rant)

Options
12346»

Replies

• Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Until women quit making objects out of themselves men will continue to look at us as objects.

Hm. :huh:

Not sure where you're coming from with this...

I think what they meant lucky is that all the little slut sluts on tv in the booty shorts make men think that all women are going to be like that and they give us normal (and i use that term loosely) a bad name! At least thats what i took from it!:smile:
  • fatstrat
    fatstrat Posts: 216
    Options
    Brains and confidence are hot and come in many different packages. I don't think the problem is the media, or someone else's implants.

The real problem is that brains and confidence are impossible to fake, and not enough people know that it's required so they don't seem to bother. I've seen plenty of women who fit the "Hollywood Ideal" who may get a lot of attention, but still lack brains and self esteem. Many of these women end up at http://www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com/ and they may never realize that they are miserable until the looks run out and there's nothing left.

Or maybe not.

But the world sees you exactly as you portray yourself. This is a country where people paid money for ROCKS just because someone was smart enough to call them pets. Realize what makes you beautiful on the inside (besides all the spleens, guts and swallowed quarters), believe it, and act accordingly. You won't care what the *kitten* think, because it wont matter, and the people who do matter will give you the respect and adoration you deserve.

I think a little poetry is in order now:
    Ice Cube
    Sometimes I used to wonder
    How the hell an ugly dude get a fine girl's number
    He's gettin juiced for his ducats
    I tell a girl in a minute yo, I drive a bucket
    And won't think nuttin of it
    She can ride or walk, either leave it or love it

See? Confidence. You'll be livin' large like a gansta rapper.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    :laugh: "I drive a bucket." LOL Well put, fatstrat. :flowerforyou:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options

We need more companies and media outlets to take a stand for what's right...

As the kid who was made fun of to the point that I had to get therapy, I have to say...I watched TV too, and I NEVER acted that way. I think people treat the media as a scapegoat. Parenting needs to improve (not yours, but of the unruly kids) in order to a) prevent kids from spending so much time in front of the TV being inactive b) help kids understand that certain attitudes are inappropriate, whether or not they learned them from the media. Some parents are just crappy parents and they generally have crappy kids. Working with the boy scouts I saw kids get away with being SO rude RIGHT in front of their parents without any punishment. I don't think it should be left to the media to determine our values as a culture. I mean I personally don't have a problem with erectile dysfunction or birth control commercials...they're medical in nature and something a lot of people live with. I don't see them as innately sexual or inappropriate.

We have to define our own values and self worth and stop relying on others to make us feel good about ourselves.

I disagree with what you say...in some cases. At least with mine. I grew up with a wonderful mother. She was a stay at home mom most of my time at home. She allowed only 1 hour of TV a day, but we didn't even have time with that because we had to be involved in some sort of activities. We were in Awanas, and my sisters and I all danced. My brothers played/play a new sport each season. My mother has always told us we are beautiful. Even when I was uncomfortable with my image, which was probably from about 5th grade up (I mentioned either in this thread or another how awfully my "friends" treated me), my mother encouraged me to know my inner beauty as well as outer. Beauty and weight wasn't something that was talked about unless it was because I was complaining, and she was contradicting me by telling me I was beautiful.

I don't know how I got the image of myself that I had. But sometimes, it's still hard to watch TV and see the tall, lean model-like actresses. It has nothing to do with the way I was raised, though I don't blame the media either - but it does make it harder to have a healthy image when a "healthy" image of tall, skinny, flawless women are splashed across our TV and movie screens every day.

First, you are a very pretty girl so be greatful god gave you that, second, look at the images on the internet of the "Stars" of yesteryear, Farrah Fawcett, and those in her era, they age just like all of us, they get gray hair, the men get bald and fuller in the middle, look at Jack Nicolson! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, look hard in the mirror! Beautiful teeth, nice smile, healthy hair! Health is what we are all striving for, Old and Ugly happens even to super stars. All those images on billboards and splashed across the screen are airbrushed unreal pictures, why do you think the paparazzi get so much money for a shot of a star out of their makeup, because they look just like you and me!

Well, thank you for the compliment. But regardless of what you may think, I was roothlessly teased growing up for my Kmart clothes, frizzy curls, the gap between my teeth, and the fading chicken pox scars on my forehead. I'm not teased anymore, and I couldn't care less about those kids who told me they were my friends - it's the reason I haven't spoken to anyone I knew since I graduated high school.

And I know you're right that everything's airbrushed. And everyone can remind themselves of that all they want, but sometimes it's hard to remember.

Did anyone ever watch that show on Lifetime where they take women who are uncomfortable with their bodies and end up taking a VERY sexy picture of them and putting it up in Times Square? They take the women through different exercises so that the women can see their beauty - whether they are overweight or merely "too" curvy, whether they are too tall or too short, pair shaped or straight as a twig - that was a really great show, but I haven't seen it on for awhile.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

We need more companies and media outlets to take a stand for what's right...

As the kid who was made fun of to the point that I had to get therapy, I have to say...I watched TV too, and I NEVER acted that way. I think people treat the media as a scapegoat. Parenting needs to improve (not yours, but of the unruly kids) in order to a) prevent kids from spending so much time in front of the TV being inactive b) help kids understand that certain attitudes are inappropriate, whether or not they learned them from the media. Some parents are just crappy parents and they generally have crappy kids. Working with the boy scouts I saw kids get away with being SO rude RIGHT in front of their parents without any punishment. I don't think it should be left to the media to determine our values as a culture. I mean I personally don't have a problem with erectile dysfunction or birth control commercials...they're medical in nature and something a lot of people live with. I don't see them as innately sexual or inappropriate.

We have to define our own values and self worth and stop relying on others to make us feel good about ourselves.

I disagree with what you say...in some cases. At least with mine. I grew up with a wonderful mother. She was a stay at home mom most of my time at home. She allowed only 1 hour of TV a day, but we didn't even have time with that because we had to be involved in some sort of activities. We were in Awanas, and my sisters and I all danced. My brothers played/play a new sport each season. My mother has always told us we are beautiful. Even when I was uncomfortable with my image, which was probably from about 5th grade up (I mentioned either in this thread or another how awfully my "friends" treated me), my mother encouraged me to know my inner beauty as well as outer. Beauty and weight wasn't something that was talked about unless it was because I was complaining, and she was contradicting me by telling me I was beautiful.

I don't know how I got the image of myself that I had. But sometimes, it's still hard to watch TV and see the tall, lean model-like actresses. It has nothing to do with the way I was raised, though I don't blame the media either - but it does make it harder to have a healthy image when a "healthy" image of tall, skinny, flawless women are splashed across our TV and movie screens every day.

First, you are a very pretty girl so be greatful god gave you that, second, look at the images on the internet of the "Stars" of yesteryear, Farrah Fawcett, and those in her era, they age just like all of us, they get gray hair, the men get bald and fuller in the middle, look at Jack Nicolson! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, look hard in the mirror! Beautiful teeth, nice smile, healthy hair! Health is what we are all striving for, Old and Ugly happens even to super stars. All those images on billboards and splashed across the screen are airbrushed unreal pictures, why do you think the paparazzi get so much money for a shot of a star out of their makeup, because they look just like you and me!

Well, thank you for the compliment. But regardless of what you may think, I was roothlessly teased growing up for my Kmart clothes, frizzy curls, the gap between my teeth, and the fading chicken pox scars on my forehead. I'm not teased anymore, and I couldn't care less about those kids who told me they were my friends - it's the reason I haven't spoken to anyone I knew since I graduated high school.

And I know you're right that everything's airbrushed. And everyone can remind themselves of that all they want, but sometimes it's hard to remember.

Did anyone ever watch that show on Lifetime where they take women who are uncomfortable with their bodies and end up taking a VERY sexy picture of them and putting it up in Times Square? They take the women through different exercises so that the women can see their beauty - whether they are overweight or merely "too" curvy, whether they are too tall or too short, pair shaped or straight as a twig - that was a really great show, but I haven't seen it on for awhile.

How to look good naked.... great show! I used to love watching it! But no, I haven't seen it in awhile either!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Until women quit making objects out of themselves men will continue to look at us as objects.

Well, I guess it's about time I threw out all my shorts with words like 'JUICY' and 'CHEERLEADER' written on the *kitten*.

:laugh:

Actually I do see where you're coming from, and I agree. You have to be honest with yourself when you wear a low-cut shirt or a tight skirt with some sexy heels. Men are GOING to look at you. Who says they're objectifying you? What does that even mean, anyway? Are they pretending I'm an inanimate object?
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Ice Cube
    Sometimes I used to wonder
    How the hell an ugly dude get a fine girl's number
    He's gettin juiced for his ducats
    I tell a girl in a minute yo, I drive a bucket
    And won't think nuttin of it
    She can ride or walk, either leave it or love it

See? Confidence. You'll be livin' large like a gansta rapper.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    [/quote]

There's never a bad time to quote NWA. Classic.