I can't seem to lose any weight?

Options
12346»

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    The body takes some time to adjust. First it has to shrink your bones since the body is preparing for less weight due to fewer calories. Bones take a long time to shrink and the body hesitates at this point since it takes a lot of work. It wants to make sure you're serious. Once the bones shrink you will drop weight and plateau again at the next level. Lose weight, wait for bone shrink, lose weight.

It goes weight, wait, weight.

Same is true for weight gain but in reverse.

Um, what?
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself! My scale is barely budging but i'm down a size, and everyday at work someone new goes "Are u losing weight?". Don't rely on the scale 100%. Drink at least 64 oz of water a day . Exercise as much as possible, and eat as many of your exercise calories back THAT U CAN (the reason for this is that i used to force myself to eat all of my exercise calories back whether i was hungry or not and i gained 3 lbs. I would assume now that i was overestimating my exercise calories burned, but i always like to leave some extra calories just in case and use my body as a guide) . And honestly maybe you need more calories. I saw the most losses when i went over my MFP goal for 3 days in a week, lol. Maybe you should increase them.
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    Options
    The body takes some time to adjust. First it has to shrink your bones since the body is preparing for less weight due to fewer calories. Bones take a long time to shrink and the body hesitates at this point since it takes a lot of work. It wants to make sure you're serious. Once the bones shrink you will drop weight and plateau again at the next level. Lose weight, wait for bone shrink, lose weight.

There are a lot of new people here and I hope for the love of Pete, they use common sense. This advice sounds like something from a witchcraft book (for dummies).

For one thing exercise signals bones to replace cells making them stronger, not to shrink.

Besides that, you should log EVERYTHING you eat to get an accurate accounting of calories consumed. Sometimes guessing can be totally off.

Pretty sure bones-poster is a troll. Another one of his forum posts also assures someone their need to pee after drinking water will decrease with time.
    SO IT ISN'T TRUE!?!? Ive been drinking a gallon of water a day for a month now, and i still have to pee every hour on the hour lol . I was hoping it would go away :(
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    Options
    some men report that their bones appear larger after weight loss.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! My day has been made.
  • Changinghabits68
    Changinghabits68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Unless you are not logging everything, it looks like you are ~800 cal under your MFP goal every day. You need to eat more, then your body will start to lose weight. MFP already puts you at a deficit of 500 cal for 1lb/week or 1000 for 2lb/week. If your are then cutting another 800 cal on top of that, you aren't feeding your body enough, it will fight back - preventing you from losing weight.

Ok, can you explain this to me please!? I am having the same trouble as the OP and I don't know what to do anymore either. I did some research and it was suggested I take my weight and multiply it by 10 which would give you your caloric intake. My question is this: my weight is 171.5 x *10 - 1710 calories, How does this work, if I am eating what I need to maintain?

Oh and based on your description, we should actually eat 1700 (1200 + 500 (the deficit) = 1700) ? I know I don't eat enough but my trouble is trying figure out how much to actually eat?
  • TagaMigi
    TagaMigi Posts: 13
    Options
    Unless you are not logging everything, it looks like you are ~800 cal under your MFP goal every day. You need to eat more, then your body will start to lose weight. MFP already puts you at a deficit of 500 cal for 1lb/week or 1000 for 2lb/week. If your are then cutting another 800 cal on top of that, you aren't feeding your body enough, it will fight back - preventing you from losing weight.

So if I am eating my 1200-1400 cals each day and exercice. Are you saying its ok to eat the amount of cals you burned at exercice? on top of your daily amount.
  • jhellige
    jhellige Posts: 1
    Options
    Reading this blog has really helped. My friend and I are in the same boat. We alternate our days between cardio and weights. We are working out everyday. I now see on somedays I am not eating enough calories. But when you say to change up your work-out, what should we do? We have have been increasing our reps/weights every time we have our weight day. So, do we try different machines or what? We did do a package with a trainer, which has since ended, and frankly I don't have the money to sign up for any more. Any sound advice would be appreciated, nothing about shrinking my bones though. Thanks.
  • nadohs
    nadohs Posts: 7
    Options

• nadohs
    nadohs Posts: 7
    Options
    Sorry for the context of the previous post, (while posted with tongue in cheek) however I was in reference to bone density. From an article found online:

"A study published in a 1998 issue of "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" examined the effects of weight loss on 14 obese women. The study found that, although the women's bone mineral content stayed the same during their weight loss, the bone mineral density decreased. Bones also contain living cells that constantly renew themselves. Your bones' osteoblasts help fix any damage, their osteocytes bring nutrients into and waste out of your bones' blood vessels and the osteoclasts break down old bone so new bone can form."

"Since your bone density can decrease during weight loss, it's vital to keep your bones strong if you're planning on dropping pounds. The University of Missouri recommends high-impact weight-bearing exercises and keeping an eye on your calcium intake."

Hope that helps.
  • Pinkparker26
    Options
    Really could do with some help I had been happy with my weight but I decided to come off the depo injection and ever since my weight has just gone up and up really has effected my confidence big time I did lose a few pounds and thought I was finally on the right track but no such luck I was eating roughly 1200 calories or less a day I have recently thoughdecided to up my calorie intake I feel like I am at a loss here I do workout 2-3 times a week is this enough please help