ADD/ADHD

Options

Replies

• CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Oh boy the whole to medicate or not medicate debate.

Here is my experience. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was in my early 30's. I am also what some call OCD, I call very organized. In my life before meds, I learned how to cope by some of the methods mentioned above, color coding, strict schedules, lists, everything having its place type thinking. I was a teacher for years and saw many kids who did not need medication, they needed to be taught better socialization and coping skills. I also saw kids who would never get those skills down because they couldn't focus long enough to even hear what they should be doing. I do not believe ALL people with ADD or ADHD need meds. I do not believe ALL people who are on meds can cope without. It is a case by case situation, what works for some may not work for others and there are varying degrees of ADD.

I now take medication. Yes, I can cope ok without it. However, it helps keep me on track and actually gets things accomplished during the day. The medication does not kill my personality or creativity, I am still the same sweet good natured person I am, just more productive.

My 13yo son has been on meds since he was 5. I tried many methods to work with him and he just couldn't function well at all. Once he started the meds he improved. He still has issues, he has also been diagnosed bipolar and is currently in treatment for his mood disorders. The doctor is always adjusting his meds because we do not want to over medicate him.

My 6yo son just started taking Concerta last month. He is not as severe as his brother and only takes it on the days he goes to school. I can assure you it does not dull him one bit. Anyone who knows my little guy will tell you he cracks them up. He is super smart, witty and I'll admit...he can be quite a smarta$$. We continue to teach him right from wrong and that there is a time and place for everything. We also teach him to respect others. On the weekends, he does not take his meds and we give him plenty of room to run, create, play and get his energy out.

When the teachers thought my 9yo had ADHD, I did not agree. I took him to the pediatrician and explained why I felt they were wrong. Turned out, he had sleep apnea and couldn't focus because he was tired. We treated the apnea and now he is doing just fine in school.

I really don't think it is anyone's business to tell another person how to treat their condition unless they are actively seeking advice.

*climbing off of my soapbox now...*
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    Options
    My 10 year old daughter takes Concerta for ADHD. If there is a morning I forget to dose out her medicine, I'm either getting a call or a note from the school. She is pretty good at making sure I don't forget. She says she likes being able to think. She is off the wall without it. She is still very energetic and creative when taking her meds. I'm sure medication isn't for everyone, but it works for her!

Yes. This is my 6yo son as well. His teacher will actually call and ask if he got his meds. Just this morning when I stopped the car to drop my boys off at school, Reece looked at me and said, "Mom...my meds?" I popped him back in the car, drove back to the house (a few blocks away) and gave him his meds. I expect today will be a good day.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    funny-pictures-cat-strangles-cat.jpg
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    Options
    I have ADOLS (attention deficit...oh look! shiny..)

My favorite is "I have CDO, it is like OCD but the letters are alphabetical like they should be."
  • jimmacdonald
    jimmacdonald Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Having ADD can be great. Taking on several tasks at once. oyea focus.

Drug of choice coffee, diet coke.

Long bike rides 25 to 50 miles.

Sports down hill mountian biking, white water rafting,

Helps be be creative.

Problem in listening has been over come with years of practice. My wife still thinks its a problem.

Oyea focus.

Highschool wow nearly did not finish, but finally got things under control and finished my Ph.d in computer science.

You can learn to live with ADD, with the help of loved ones, good friends and mentors.

My wife of 35 years is my best friend.

Cheers
    Jim
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Having ADD can be great. Taking on several tasks at once. oyea focus.

Drug of choice coffee, diet coke.

Long bike rides 25 to 50 miles.

Sports down hill mountian biking, white water rafting,

Helps be be creative.

Problem in listening has been over come with years of practice. My wife still thinks its a problem.

Oyea focus.

Highschool wow nearly did not finish, but finally got things under control and finished my Ph.d in computer science.

You can learn to live with ADD, with the help of loved ones, good friends and mentors.

My wife of 35 years is my best friend.

Cheers
    Jim

Awesome! This is my boat. Without the Ph.d though ~

JM
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have ADOLS (attention deficit...oh look! shiny..)

My favorite is "I have CDO, it is like OCD but the letters are alphabetical like they should be."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I need that on a t-shirt!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I just want to say that I am not trying to debate the medicate or don't medicate issue. The OP wasn't either.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    4Tqs6.jpg

Wanna ride bikes?

422609_2842601824021_1228590338_32578762_1549678983_n.jpg

I win.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I am not trying to debate the medicate or don't medicate issue. The OP wasn't either.
    I do think it is ironic that this thread is too long for someone who has add/adhd to read.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I do think it is ironic that this thread is too long for someone who has add/adhd to read.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Truly... you have a point there.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

TL:DR
  • WendySue75
    WendySue75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My son has ADHD and is 20 years old now, in college and struggling. He couldn't take the meds as a child and now he tries to take them but they hurt his heart, make it cramp and beat hard, sometimes skip a beat. But he suffers with it so he can pass his tests, and think well in class. He tapes his classes and gets longer to take the tests in a private area, but it is still a challange. He laughs about his ADHD, but sometimes he cries about it too.

I better not show him this video. I think it would hurt too much at this moment in his life.
  • WendySue75
    WendySue75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What type of med does he take? Maybe ask Dr. to change? Having heart "palpitations" is not ok.... I'd seriously look into it!!
  • jimmacdonald
    Options
    Ok it is windy out what were we talking about.

Just got back from a 25 mile ride.

oyea focus ADD.

Jim
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    Options

Ok, I have had to come back to it a few times just to read it...lol And as my meds wear off my responses tend to get shorter...I wrote my speech this morning fully medicated! lol
  • Ashaeboni
    Ashaeboni Posts: 13
    Options
    ME in real life {Shakes head} haha
    Interesting post...I think that ADD/ADHD...

SQUIRREL!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcxIIoUY-AGYI--tf1GwpH49NibiM-m7pR2MfSUjucXKpfxrtmZQ

Sorry...what?
  • jimmacdonald
    Options
    Oyea restful saturday, coffee coffee coffee, what were we discussing. Airplane in the sky look. Deer
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have ADD and thats pretty much my brain... If you saw the amount of tabs up on my web browser you would laugh... I cannot stay on one thing to long.... lol I take adderall but it doesn't help a huge amount.
  • StoutGirl09
    StoutGirl09 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Haha! I love this. I have it.