TDEE is everything

Options

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Joe with the facts, Sunshine in her skivvies, and Rae positively glowing with good health.

This thread delivers. *bump*

I was thinking along the same lines! Bump for myself later.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Well done!!!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, now I want to calculate it this way too. Thank you.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Joe with the facts, Sunshine in her skivvies, and Rae positively glowing with good health.

This thread delivers. *bump*

Health, or bad photo editing skills. :wink:
  • shanea98
    shanea98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You finish these with activity factors (1.0-2.40)and Stress factors (Most people will be 1.0) to get closer to actual- the Mifflin has been determine most appropriate in outpatient weight management settings. Atleast thats my 2 cents
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bump. this is all info I definitely needed. Thanks!
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    TL;DR thread

What is this? Also, love your post...very informative!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i think the way MFP sets up weight loss for the beginner is atrocious. Eating back poorly estimated exercise calories and setting most peoples daily calorie goal below BMR is terrible. No wonder 1/3 posts on this site is about stalling out. People leave themselves no where to go. Most of them exercise 5 times a week so its tough to add another day of exercise, and you sure as hell can reduce their calories anymore.

I tend to agree that this is not a good system for complete beginners, unless they're willing to spend a little time seeking out and reading posts like this (which most won't). One needs to understand energy expenditure and calorie deficits before they can effectively use a tool like this to lose weight. If I have a calculator, does that automatically make me an accountant? No. But if I understand accounting, then a calculator can help me do my job. Similarly, if one understands calories and energy expenditure, MFP can help them achieve their goals.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This is very easy to understand! I like that in a post! :bigsmile:
  • bcsrule
    bcsrule Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    *Bump* Thanks
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS:love::love: :love:

Thank you!:drinker:
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Great stuff!! Bumping for later!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    This is good stuff. :drinker:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    going to bed for work later tonite but adding to My Topics to read throughly later
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Excellent. Was just discussing TDEE today and trying to figure it out.

THANKS!!!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    problem I have is people describe sedentary as been sat all the time.. I'm a wheelchair user so I'm always sat and need powered chair/scooter to get around my community.

However my condition means everything takes more energy than average and i get involuntary muscle movement which maybe similar to someone fidgeting constantly all day and by end of day may add to and equal a session at the gym.. then I do exercise/physio too and try and burn at least 500 calories off as I'm not sure how much above average I'm burning from the muscle spasms.

I was told to follow sedentary and have been on 1200 cals, but wonder if I should up to next one from sedentary? (mildly active?.. or moderate?)

I'm 5ft 3 and half and currently 138lbs age 42 I've only got 5-9lbs (not quite decided on goal weight yet) to go and no idea how many calories I should be eating to be eating healthily now!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Indeed, this site lets people choose unrealistic calculations and loss-goals. But, most of them don't read the stickies, anyway. All this stuff is covered....in sticky or in the goals calculations.

Keep repeating this. If we do it enough, it will get through to some. But I agree, well over half the questions on this site are answerable right here.

If the goal wizard is used correctly, this site uses reasonable calculations that are derived from the info on this thread.

Welcome back, Joe. :smile:
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    so happy to have you back and posting.
    thanks, Joe!