TDEE is everything

Options

Replies

• momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this today. I have been eating exactly as MFP sat, but have been losing almost twice as fast as I should. Now I know why!
  • Miggy52
    Miggy52 Posts: 164
    Options
    Bump: To read later today.....
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Just trying to make sure I understand this (I am not stupid, but I am also NOT a math person). My TDEE works out to 2421 and my BMR is 1568. If I'm looking to lose 1.5lbs/week, it works out that I should be eating 1671 calories a day (that's more than my BMR so I'm guessing that's a good thing). Now, since I used my TDEE to figure out my calories and I indicated that I work out 3-5 times a week (moderate exercise)...I would NOT eat back my exercise calories, right? I would just eat 1671 calories of food per day regardless of how many calories I burn exercising? I'm currently only netting between 950-1200 calories a day so this is apparently the reason for my stall.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I've always preferred this method to MFP's because it provides consistency. It's easier for me to eat a set number of calories per day than to have to fluctuate day to day based on how much I've worked out. Getting into a routine I've found helps me deal with psychological hunger issues, and changing how much I eat every day really puts a kink in that plan.

Anyhow, a few folks have expressed concern with eating so many more calories. There's nothing saying you have to do it all at once. If you've been eating 1200 cals a day and suddenly jump up to 2000 that's a really rapid change. Try increasing your intake by 100 cals every week or every other week and gauge your body's response. These calculations are estimates. It's a good starting point but you still may need to tweak it somewhat to find what works best for you.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    According to this I should be eating 1500 calories a day to maintain my weight. That is way lower than MFP says.
    This may be a stupid question, but at 1500 a day would I NOT eat back my exercise calories, because that doesnt sound right, but I entered in the days I would be working out.

Anyone? Because if I am suppose to net 1500, I am way over eating

1500 a day is NOT way over eating.... read this thread below.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day

I mean I am over eating. I am set to 1470 a day, but I eat back my calories and workout hard everyday. So I eat like 1700-1900 calories a day. If I am only suppose to be at 1500 even though I workout then no wonder I am gaining weight. However 1500 total no matter how hard I workout seems kinda low.
  • lillydlc
    lillydlc Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    bookmarking for reference.
  • mestop1
    mestop1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • vannie18
    vannie18 Posts: 55
    Options
    bump
  • zoeelizabeths
    zoeelizabeths Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later.
  • lissrn
    lissrn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump...thanks
  • Nichole23225
    Nichole23225 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    BUMP. Oh, I so need to learn this!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have a question. What if you can't afford the BodyBugg or BodyFit Media? How would one find their TDEE? Additionally, can this be acquired from the FitBit Ultra?
  • versuga
    versuga Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • skhoy0006
    Options
    bump to read later...
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Super post. Thanks for this one. I have recently upped my calorie goal and I am so better now. With that 1200 intake, I wonder how I was living.
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are back joe! :D

This is exactly what I follow. No special diet, no crazy pills, no strict plan. I eat candy, carbs, fat, salt, and live :D

Hallelujah!

Exactly my plan. I eat two "strict" meals for breakfast/ lunch (under 500 calories combined) and then eat my normal dinner of whatever I please. As long as I've stayed within my calories for the day who cares if I "splurged" on taco bell for the night. I'm still under calories and I'm still going to lose weight! It's not a race of how many calories I can use in a short amount of time, it's having a diet I can maintain for the rest of my life & actually still enjoy food!

Trust me, you don't want to see how cranky I can get if someone told me I could never have a slice of pizza or candy bar ever again...now that's a diet I could never stay on.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    1. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): This is the amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (base level).
    2. NEAT (Non-Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie of daily activity that is NOT exercise (eg: washing, walking, talking, shopping, working). ie: INCIDENTAL EXERCISE! It is something that everyone has a good amount of control over & it is the MOST important factor in your energy expenditure. It is what helps keep 'constitutionally lean' people LEAN (they fidget)!
    3. EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie requirements associated with planned exercise. Unless someone is doing a whole heap of exercise (eg: two or more hrs training a day) it usually doesn't add a stack of calories to your requirements (30 minutes of 'elliptical training isn't going to do it')
    4. TEF (Thermic effect of feeding): The calorie expenditure associated with eating. REGARDLESS of what myths you have been told - this is NOT dependent on MEAL FREQUENCY. It is a % of TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED (and 15% of 3 x 600 cal meals is the same as 15% of 6 x 300 cal meals). It varies according to MACRONUTRIENT content and FIBER content. For most mixed diets, it is something around 15%. Protein is higher (up to 25%), carbs are variable (between 5-25%), and fats are low (usually less than 5%). So -> More protein and more carbs and more fiber = HIGHER TEF. More FAT = LOWER TEF.

5. TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expedenture): Total calories burned. BMR + NEAT + EAT + TEF = TDEE

Technically speaking. =)

*mind explodes*
  • keependuring
    keependuring Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU so much for posting this. Did not know this info. I have achieved my goal of 10 lbs lost in 57 days. 5'4"@120, 48 years old. YEAH!! I was thinking that I needed to start strength training to achieve better results. This confirms it!!