Saving for later!:) thanks!
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I used one of the calculators posted on the front page. It figured out that at 4'11" and 127lbs with a waist of 35 inches gives me 45.7% body fat. And being 23 and a female the calculator worked out for me using mccardle formula that I have a bmr of 1067 and a TDEE of 1256.

Which is the same as what mfp worked out for me. It tells me to eat 1508 on workout days but thats just the same as eating back my exercise calories on here and would still work out at about 1200 net.

I seem to get the same results on every website I try and as much as I

Your TDEE most likely is more. If you're BMR is only 1067, then just walking around for half the day would give you 1200-1300 TDEE. Most likely you are doing other things. You have to account for all activity.
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    So when I do all this higher math (I joined MFP so I would not have to) I get that I need to be eating about 600 more calories then I get.with MFP....Seems kind of high to eat 600 more calories in a day....

MFP drastically underestimates TDEE levels. The 600 more calories you are getting from the formulas is probably pretty close to being accurate.

Do you think MFP drastically underestimates TDEE or do people just choose the wrong activity level? I know I chose sedentary just because I sit at a desk all day, but my TDEE would actually be more accurate if I put "active". I their descriptions are sorely inadequate.

So after reading thru this a few times and getting lots of information i did the math and used some of those awesome links provided in the first page.
    I figured out were i should be and then went back into the goals on MFP. I had mine set to sedentary--because like the description i have a desk job. I also work out between 3-5 days a week. Now that i've set it to "active" it's more in line with the manual calculations.
    And for those of you who were kind enough to put up with my soapbox story this morning...i feel much better now.
  • dwnlynn
    dwnlynn Posts: 47
    Options
    bump
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    This all sounds intense lol. I lost weight and kept it off for 3 years now without ever having heard of tdee. Live and learn. Tons to read on here. Wont bother knowing my tdee but def sounds interesting.good luck everyone. Again cool info.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Bump. This really makes sense but scared to try on a month when I am not going to weigh. I already know I need more than MFPs numbers and have adjusted myself but this method adds another 250-300 calories. A bit scary.
  • TheMerryPup
    TheMerryPup Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks to the OP & con-tributaries!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the fabulous post.
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options
    bump
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks.
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    bump for later. No time right now, but this is exactly the kind of post I like to obsess over.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is finding your TDEE which can be found a number of ways. The easiest way is to go to Best Buy or another store, and buy a Bodymedia FIT or a Bodybugg. Wear it every minute of every day (except in the shower) and give it a week or two and then see what your TDEE weekly average was for the 2 weeks you were wearing the device. Then calculate what you should eat daily based on my original post.

Which of these do you prefer? I know the bodybugg has a monthly charges associated with it - does the BMFIT too?
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    According to this I should be eating 1500 calories a day to maintain my weight. That is way lower than MFP says.
    This may be a stupid question, but at 1500 a day would I NOT eat back my exercise calories, because that doesnt sound right, but I entered in the days I would be working out.

Anyone? Because if I am suppose to net 1500, I am way over eating

1500 a day is NOT way over eating.... read this thread below.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
  • _JPH_
    _JPH_ Posts: 25
    Options
    Bump.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bumping for later.
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump