Relationship Question?? Cheating.

Options

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    If you're not happy in a relationship then you break it off, it's pretty simple.

There's no justification for going and finding whatever it is that you're looking for in someone else while you are still in a relationship.

You break off the relationship THEN you go find whatever it is you were looking for....not the other way around.
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    As much as I think Dr Phil is a tool, I think in regards to this issue, he's dead right: if you can't tell your spouse, or have him/her right there and you have to do it, what ever "it" is, behind his or her back, it's cheating.

It's really that simple.

^^^
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I always go by the theory treat the other person how you wanna be treated. never cheated... been cheated on though :\ meh

though i did have an ex who said she would prefer to get physically cheated on instead of emotionally cheated on.... she tried to explain it but i never understood that
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    If you're not happy in a relationship then you break it off, it's pretty simple.

There's no justification for going and finding whatever it is that you're looking for in someone else while you are still in a relationship.

You break off the relationship THEN you go find whatever it is you were looking for....not the other way around.

Well...it's not always that simple. My mother had an affair while still married to my father....the whole just "breaking things off" in that situation was a LOT easier said than done. Lot of specifics there, but I'll just say that my mother asked for a divorce many times (and was denied said divorce) before she had an affair. Once she told my father about the other man, it was only then that he agreed to divorce her. It was messy.

But that is DEFINITELY not the situation for many many cases.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Bump to get this thread to 500 posts so a new thread will be created that doesn't keep moving to the top of my list.

:drinker:
  • MissAlexxMarie
    Options

Agree!
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It's quite obvious that the answer to this question is different to everyone.

NYCDutchess wins the thread. Game over. Well played.
  • MissAlexxMarie
    Options
    What if I go to a strip club for my best friend's bachelor party and tell my wife we played SCRABBLE and drank grape juice? Is that cheating.

I will not get a lap dance, couch dance, or even a pole dance. All I get was glitter on my clothes.

I need a ruling here.

Not cheating but pretty dishonest. Here's what you do as your preemptive strike on her counter attack:

Step 1: Buy a stuffed bird.
    Step 2: Buy a wig.
    Step 3. Glue the two together.
    Step R. Stick it to her head while she's asleep.
    Step 4. Tell her what you did the moment she wakes up.
    Step 5. Show her this picture.

nickcage.jpeg

Anything else she says after that point does not matter. Therefor, the one person that who's opinion matters in the ruling, is invalid.

Logic = infallible

Lmfaooo!!!!!! I have got to save this somehow! hahahha!
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Bump to get this thread to 500 posts so a new thread will be created that doesn't keep moving to the top of my list.

:drinker:

Bump for same sentiment!
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    What if I go to a strip club for my best friend's bachelor party and tell my wife we played SCRABBLE and drank grape juice? Is that cheating.

I will not get a lap dance, couch dance, or even a pole dance. All I get was glitter on my clothes.

I need a ruling here.

Not cheating. Just a liar. And a bad one at that. How would you explain the glitter? "Babe, we threw glitter on the winner"?
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I consider cheating: Having sex with someone else (this includes Bill Clinton's non-sex, sex too), or kissing someone else.

I also think there can be emotional cheating where you don't actually physically do anything with the person but have an emotional relationship with them.

I am currently in a relationship and have been for almost 3 years. We are very happy and plan on marrying one day. That being said if he kissed someone else I would forgive him most likely. If he had sex with someone else or had an emotional relationship with someone else I would have a really hard time with it. I don't know really what I would do honestly. It all depends on the circumstances. If it were a one time thing that he is extremely remorseful for I would be more likely to forgive than if it were a recurring thing.

I have cheated on 2 previous boyfriends (not on this one) that were meaningless short relationships that were clearly going no where anyway. I have been cheated on once to my knowledge, it wasn't a particularly long relationship but I did have feelings for him. He broke up with me to be with his ex girlfriend and I found out after the fact that he cheated on me with her. It pretty much sucked.
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options

I need a ruling here.

Not cheating. Just a liar. And a bad one at that. How would you explain the glitter? "Babe, we threw glitter on the winner"?

It's like you are reading my mind! THE WINNER OF SCRABBLE IS ROLLED AROUND IN GLITTER AND SMELLS LIKE STRIPPER SWEAT.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Well...it's not always that simple. My mother had an affair while still married to my father....the whole just "breaking things off" in that situation was a LOT easier said than done. Lot of specifics there, but I'll just say that my mother asked for a divorce many times (and was denied said divorce) before she had an affair. Once she told my father about the other man, it was only then that he agreed to divorce her. It was messy.

But that is DEFINITELY not the situation for many many cases.

Ok she may have been denied a divorce but she could have still walked out, i understand she would have still been married on paper but that doesn't really mean squat IMO. I don't expect anyone to wait out a divorce before they go finding whatever they are looking for.

I'm sorry I just don't buy this powerless role most women play, they claim they can't leave, they can't do this etc. etc. but you can. You are a human being with rights and you can do whatever you need to do, you may have to involve authorities but so be it. Life may not be a bowl full of cherries and it'll probably be a struggle for most women once they do leave, but it's better than living some miserable sad existence of a life.
  • Lozzielol
    Lozzielol Posts: 78
    Options
    I'd much rather a drunken one-night-stand than a long term affair for example.

This. I'm quicker to forgive a slip up like this than an ongoing emotional relationship. Because it's one thing to say he fell to temptation and another to say he fell in love.

I've cheated and been cheated on. When I found out I was being cheated on, I wasn't angry or hurt or anything. Loved him to pieces but people have the right to fall out of love with their SO's. It happens. Who am I to make them stay and work on something that no longer exists? So we broke up and he got with the other girl. Now they're happily married and have a 3 month old :smile: We weren't for each other. No sappy ending, no crying, no guilt.

When I cheated, I flat out told my ex of four and a half years, "Hey, you're not making the cut. We can either pretend I'm not cheating on you OR you can pack up your things and go. It's not working, hasn't been for years and I'm sick of trying. Now hurry up because I have a date in about 3 hours."

Life is too short to waste it with someone that isn't right for you. And that goes both ways.

What in the f**kin world?!! I would not forgive a slip up? Who teaches these women it's ok to cheat and it's ok to forgive! If you accept for someone to cheat on you with somebody that was "attractive" what kind of standards do you set for yourself? Why in the hell would you forgive them? why not find somebody that won't do it to you?

I never said it was okay to cheat (I was the first person quoted here). It definitely isnt okay. I do, however, aprpeciated that people are flawed and make mistakes. Why did I forgive him? Because I knew that he was a good guy and had made a very stupid mistake. He travelled across the country to tell me to my face what he had done a few days later, and I really appreciated the honesty. We worked through it together and are a great team. He is 1000% dedicated to me, and I to him. Dont go telling me or others here that their opinion on cheating is wrong. Each circumstance is completely different, and needs to be dealt with in a different way. For the most part, cheaters are cheaters, but sometimes there are those that are genuine mistakes, that will only happen once. If I hadnt forgiven my SO, then I would have been the one to lose 3 of the best years of my life.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It's quite obvious that the answer to this question is different to everyone.

NYCDutchess wins the thread. Game over. Well played.

^^^ Yep yep.
  • charlieduc
    charlieduc Posts: 108
    Options
    If it feels wrong...it probably is wrong!!! I have been cheated on but chose to forgive my husband. With him, I could tell that keeping the secret was driving him crazy. His mood and attitude changed so much when I found out the truth. He even admitted that it was a huge weight off of his shoulders.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options

I need a ruling here.

Personally I wouldn't consider that cheating, I'd consider it a minor aggravation that I was told something and they did something else. Though I've known a lot of women who will treat it as bad as cheating. I remember one girl from a relationship forum I was active on for a while, her long-distance guy went to a strip club with friends. One time incident and she was ready to call the whole thing off because he went where you pay to see boobies. Turns out it wasn't even his idea and he was the DD for the group, but like she cared. He saw another lady's boobies.

But like I said personally I'd just be miffed at the lie and chances are I'd be over it and want details on any ugly/obviously had surgery ones that were roaming the place.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    As much as I think Dr Phil is a tool, I think in regards to this issue, he's dead right: if you can't tell your spouse, or have him/her right there and you have to do it, what ever "it" is, behind his or her back, it's cheating.

It's really that simple.

Agree 100%
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I need a ruling here.

It's like you are reading my mind! THE WINNER OF SCRABBLE IS ROLLED AROUND IN GLITTER AND SMELLS LIKE STRIPPER SWEAT.

On some serious ish....sounds like a scrabble game I would participate in :tongue:
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, it's cheating.

AMEN to that!!!