How many women on here are lifting weights????????

Options

Replies

• jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a genetic anomoloy, it is IMPOSSIBLE for you (a female) to bulk up.

Or if you have a hormone imbalance, like me. I have PCOS, so I have more testosterone than most women. I do have to be careful about how I do my strength training. I usually lift a moderate amount of weight (too heavy and I'll bulk up, too light and I don't feel like I'm lifting anything), and I do two sets of fifteen reps and I do strength training twice per week...cardio four times per week.
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    Me!

I lift 4-5x a week.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I lift!! and love it -- I look better than I did without lifting :) You won't bulk. You will look hot and fit.

I have a pic posted from when I lifted hard and what I looked like -- i'm not big but i'm strong
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I just started.. I'm excited to see results!!

I did weights before but just used dumbbells. I have now moved up to the REAL stuff!! So excited!
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Just started! I love it! I'm lifting heavy and I'm sore, but I feel awesome! I'm doing something really good for my body!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    i lift heavy and you can see the result in my avatar. I gave birth to 6 babies.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights... my trainer kicks absolute butt with weights and she has a great body.

Unless you are taking steroids you aren't going to bulk up. Lifting gives you a sexy body with tone
  • jbakerak
    jbakerak Posts: 76
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I would like to see the results on the scale too! But I also do strength training, so I try to stay away from the scale because muscle is more dense than fat. The scale was discouraging me even though I am getting smaller in size. My goal is to lose about 16 more lbs, but I have decided the weight I want to be doesn't matter as much as the size I want to be. It's really about overall health right? Not only that, but you probably don't want to be skinnier and flabby. You would probably like to be skinnier and fit. If you continue with the weight training you will look and feel better!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up. Women simply don't have the hormones to do so without intense and extreme bodybuilding.

I lift 3 nights a week (cardio 3 nights also). It's satisfying and I feel great afterwards. Plus the definition that is starting to show is sexay!!
  • carey593
    carey593 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started lifting in December, and it's been the best thing I could have possibly done! I gained 3 pounds the first month, which my trainer said would happen.....and then I started losing, after having stalled out for months doing just cardio. In a 5 week span from January to February, I lost 3 inches off my waist and 3.5 inches off my thighs. I actually have a waist for the first time in my adult life. Lift weights and stick with it.....it will take some time, but the results are SO worth it!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Women do not and cannot bulk up because we don't have the testosterone for it. So lift weights, go heavy, and enjoy the results. Remember muscle takes up less space than fat on your body. You'll be smaller, and that's a good thing! And that's especially important if your weight loss stalls.
    Muscle takes more calories to maintain than fat. Therefore, the more muscle you have on your body, the higher your calorie burn, and the bigger the deficit you can create by eating the same amount of food!

This is not true, there are some magazines at my gym with some extremely bulked up woman.........they scare me!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Ok so, as many women i am one of those that is scared to be lifting weights due to i'm afraid of bulking up. I have however been giving it a go for the past two weeks but even though i have been i'm still freaking myself out about it. I'm so worried about the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" deal! I want to see the number on the scale DROP not increase!! Anyways, i'd love to hear different things about lifting weights and if possible see pictures of women who have used strength training to help them to achieve their goals. I'm so... confused when it comes to strength training. Confused and very nervous about getting big instead of skinny and toned. HELP ME PLEASE UNDERSTAND!!! :) Thanks to all who respond ahead of time :)

It is impossible for a woman to bulk up without taking some type of steroid. You will gain muscle but not like a body builder we just re not engineered that way. Get the new ruled of lifting fro women from your library if you can find it. That is what I am using and it has some great information in it.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I lift and I love it, the results are amazing. I am addicted to the free awesomeness of iron! DO IT!!!!!!!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Women do not and cannot bulk up because we don't have the testosterone for it. So lift weights, go heavy, and enjoy the results. Remember muscle takes up less space than fat on your body. You'll be smaller, and that's a good thing! And that's especially important if your weight loss stalls.
    Muscle takes more calories to maintain than fat. Therefore, the more muscle you have on your body, the higher your calorie burn, and the bigger the deficit you can create by eating the same amount of food!

This is not true, there are some magazines at my gym with some extremely bulked up woman.........they scare me!

Those women most likely took some type of enhancing drugs to bulk up like that.
  • huneybun1
    huneybun1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Blueeyes dont worry about bulking up, for you weights are going to help you deminish fat. Women dont have the ability to bulk unless you are taking supplements for that. I have a personal trainer and this is what he told me. I have noticed that they help change the shape of your body more so than cardio.. I hope this helps. :smokin:
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Go for it! And don't worry about the stupid scales...
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I started about a month ago. I've upped my calories and told my scale to go to hell.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I lift heavy! Starting Strength, stronglifts 5x5 and New Rules of Lifting are all excellent programs and easy to get started. I do compound lifts, 3 sets of 4-8. The last few reps should be very difficult to do if you're lifting heavy enough. Don't overcomplicate it with isolations when you're starting out. It's really not necessary.
  • huneybun1
    huneybun1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Blueeyes dont worry about bulking up, for you weights are going to help you deminish fat. Women dont have the ability to bulk unless you are taking supplements for that. I have a personal trainer and this is what he told me. I have noticed that they help change the shape of your body more so than cardio.. I hope this helps. :smokin:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Meeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!