How many women on here are lifting weights????????

Options

Replies

• Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If you lift reasonable amounts of weight, like they advise you to do in the Body Pump, Group Power, and similar classes, you won't have to worry about bulking up too much. I've been doing that for about 3 years, and have not had any problems looking too muscular.

Just avoid extreme, heavy lifting like some of those Crossfit women do, and you should be fine.
  • sguinn75
    sguinn75 Posts: 14
    Options
    I lift twice a week for an hour each time. I can vouch for not bulking up. It's taking everything I have and making it tighter and sleeker. I can lift and move things I never thought possible, including my patients. IT'S AWESOME!
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    13949341_8885.jpg

There is no bulking for woman when weight lifting unless you are actually training to bulk and taking supplements for it...

I weight lift 3 times a week, not like a girl either - last night during my lower body workout I leg pressed 260lbs and squatted 200 lbs...

I am currently at 136.6 lbs fitting in a 3/4 (5/6 depending on brand of course) pair of jeans...

So don't be afraid girl - bodybuilding.com has awesome 12 week plans which gives you a great balance between cardio and lifting (all for free)

Are you doing the Jamie Eason plan? I really like her 12 wk program. I just started it a few weeks ago.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I can't even imagine wanting to lift in the 200 pound range. I would not want to risk the kind of injury you can get from lifting that heavy..

Personally, I prefer doing light to moderate weights with a lot of repeats like they do in the Body Pump and Group Power classes.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine wanting to lift in the 200 pound range. I would not want to risk the kind of injury you can get from lifting that heavy..

Personally, I prefer doing light to moderate weights with a lot of repeats like they do in the Body Pump and Group Power classes.
    really? i cant wait until i can lift in the 200 lb range! with proper form and such, the risk of injury is low.
    light to moderate weight with high reps wont get the same results as heavy lifting.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    If you lift reasonable amounts of weight, like they advise you to do in the Body Pump, Group Power, and similar classes, you won't have to worry about bulking up too much. I've been doing that for about 3 years, and have not had any problems looking too muscular.

Just avoid extreme, heavy lifting like some of those Crossfit women do, and you should be fine.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxC8rm_eQzT5u6mTTEwkhzg-LZOSziQIbMBNk_8j--9oGr7RjfRw

You are so right. Who would ever want to look like this? I will totally avoid lifting heavy weights now. /sarcasm

ETA: This is Tianna Ta, a bikini competitor. She lifts heavy.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Cross fit women don't have to worry about "bulking" either, unless they are taking steroids or eat at a calorie surplus.

There's nothing inherently dangerous about lifting in the "200 pound range". The danger comes from bad form. If you are safe, you can lift as heavy as genetically possible. Again, unless you take steroids you won't "bulk" to man-like levels. Even if you eat at a calories surplus the most a woman could add is about 12lbs a year (and that's during her first year, it'd be less after that).
  • nutandbutter
    Options

Cross fit women don't have to worry about "bulking" either, unless they are taking steroids or eat at a calorie surplus.

There's nothing inherently dangerous about lifting in the "200 pound range". The danger comes from bad form. If you are safe, you can lift as heavy as genetically possible. Again, unless you take steroids you won't "bulk" to man-like levels. Even if you eat at a calories surplus the most a woman could add is about 12lbs a year (and that's during her first year, it'd be less after that).

I'm so glad we're friends. :flowerforyou:
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've lifted for one month now. Love it!!!!!!! I absolutely love it, it was the missing link. I only do the big compound movements so far: deadlift, squat, bench, press, etc.

I eat in a caloric deficit so I don't gain any weight. My weight has stayed exactly the same for the entire month (although I am probably very close if not right at my ideal/goal weight anyway, so losing weight isn't going to be an issue for me anymore). However, I'm losing inches of fat... I've lost already about an inch and half in both my waist and hips. And as my body goes through a recomp, I expect to lose more.

As far as "bulking"... your muscles WILL grow... that is the whole idea behind it. You tear the muscle fibers down when you lift heavy, and they rebuild... that is how it works. You will hold onto some water, this is necessary for the growth/repair.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Some women that do extremely heavy lifting, such as the Crossfit women, DO bulk up, as in the photo linked below.

http://www.girlwalksintoabarbell.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/20110731-110731_0078_Watermarked.jpg

I do not want to look like her.

But if you lift in a moderate weight range, you should never have that problem.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Some women that do extremely heavy lifting, such as the Crossfit women, DO bulk up, as in the photo linked below.

20110731-110731_0078_Watermarked.jpg

I do not want to look like her.

But if you lift in a moderate weight range, you should never have that problem.

I think she's hawt.
  • JennieAL
    Options
    And I also think she's hot. LOL. To each her own.

I doubt anyone's going to sprout muscles like this without trying to. If you end up looking like this, I think it's probably going to be because you wanted to look like this (and you'd be lucky, not everyone can build that kind of muscle).
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    The point is -- if women do extremely heavy lifting, it IS possible to have a very muscled, "bulked up" look.

I would not want to look like her, even if I could make it happen without doing any lifting. I do not find that look on woman attractive at all.
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    And I also think she's hot. LOL. To each her own.

I doubt anyone's going to sprout muscles like this without trying to. If you end up looking like this, I think it's probably going to be because you wanted to look like this (and you'd be lucky, not everyone can build that kind of muscle).
    ^this.
    eating at a surplus, intense training, etc.
    you wont look like that on accident - theres no waking up one day and realizing you look like competitive lifters etc
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    When I see women look like that, it makes me wonder if they are on steroids or something.
  • JennieAL
    Options
    The point is -- if women do extremely heavy lifting, it IS possible to have a very muscled, "bulked up" look.

I would not want to look like her, even if I could make it happen without doing any lifting. I do not find that look on woman attractive at all.

WTH? Then don't lift like that. Problem solved. Logic 101.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Actually, it has more to do with the fact that she's training to lift more weight instead of training to "look good." Hence, she probably is eating more than you would. Your body isn't going to just sneak up on ya and become like that.

Google AllisonNYC. She also lifts (and attention *kitten* on the side it seems like). I don't think you'd consider her bulky.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    When I see women look like that, it makes me wonder if they are on steroids or something.

That's a great way to try to down-play someone's accomplishments because of their sex.
  • rockerbabyy
    Options

Actually, it has more to do with the fact that she's training to lift more weight instead of training to "look good." Hence, she probably is eating more than you would. Your body isn't going to just sneak up on ya and become like that.

Google AllisonNYC. She also lifts (and attention *kitten* on the side it seems like). I don't think you'd consider her bulky.
    yum!
  • nutandbutter
    Options

Read the bold part. Now read it again. Read it until you understand how much work goes into her getting bulky. It is not an accident.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!