How many women on here are lifting weights????????

Options

Replies

• justdoit_steph
    Options
    I love lifting weights!!! I can tell such a difference in my arms, chest and legs even though I'm up 10 pounds. I'm not going to lie, I hate seeing the number on the scale. I'm the girl who is addicted to weighing daily but to be honest with myself I really prefer this look over the flabby but weighs less look :)
  • Shawnjay75
    Shawnjay75 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I want to start lifting...

Bump..Bump....Bump it UP! :happy:
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    see again, i've been misinformed...

so is it better to lift heavier with less reps?

also, i don't want to bulk up on my legs...i'm 5' 4.5" and afraid of getting thicker legs...mind you i'm pure Samoan, so might not be able to handle that yah?

heavy, less reps. 4-6 to really build strength. 6-12 is okay too. 15 would really only be used to learn form. As heavy as you can and still complete (or almost complete) your set with good form. 3 to 5 sets.

Calorie deficit is what controls weight loss or gain. If you are eating at a deficit, it is very unlikely that your body will use it's energy to build large amounts of muscle. However where we store our fat is genetic. Mine is in my legs. Weight lifting (without fat loss) hasn't made my legs bigger, but it hasn't made them smaller either.

Yep. My sister in law (personal trainer/fitness model/professional body builder) told me, "If you can do anything more than 15 reps without it being a struggle, you need to add more weight."
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Here's a question for health/fitness professionals who may be reading this thread. At what level does the body have enough testosterone to start bulking up rather than simply toning up? I know the maximum end of the normal range for women is about 70ng/dL, and the minimum end of the normal range for men is around 300ng/dL. But 70ng/dL-300ng/dL is a HUGE gap in the difference between "normal" levels for men and women. Surely, the body doesn't require as much as 300ng/dL to start bulk up? I'm asking because, as I mentioned in a previous comment, I have PCOS which causes low estrogen levels and high testosterone levels. I'm thinking about having my levels tested now and after I reach my goal weight to see how much they improve after drastic weight loss. I know my testoserone is high...that's a given. However, I'd like to know if it's high enough to affect my muscle mass. I hope this makes sense....I know what I'm trying to ask, I just don't know if I've clearly expressed it here.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Here's a question for health/fitness professionals who may be reading this thread. At what level does the body have enough testosterone to start bulking up rather than simply toning up? I know the maximum end of the normal range for women is about 70ng/dL, and the minimum end of the normal range for men is around 300ng/dL. But 70ng/dL-300ng/dL is a HUGE gap in the difference between "normal" levels for men and women. Surely, the body doesn't require as much as 300ng/dL to start bulk up? I'm asking because, as I mentioned in a previous comment, I have PCOS which causes low estrogen levels and high testosterone levels. I'm thinking about having my levels tested now and after I reach my goal weight to see how much they improve after drastic weight loss. I know my testoserone is high...that's a given. However, I'd like to know if it's high enough to affect my muscle mass. I hope this makes sense....I know what I'm trying to ask, I just don't know if I've clearly expressed it here.
    im not a professional, but i have been told i have pcos. ive never had my levels tested, but ive been lifting for two months and havent bulked up.. ive lost 20+ inches over all and lost almost 10 pounds. even with our higher testosterone, while eating at a deficit we cant gain much muscle mass.. some will from "newbie gains" if youve never lifted before, but its not much at all. in order to get big you have to eat over maintenance and for the majority of women, involves taking steroids.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Normal testosterone levels for a man: 300-1200 ng/dL
    Normal testosterone levels for a woman: 30-95 ng/dL

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003707.htm

Even a man will not be able to add much muscle while dieting. When we diet we ingest less calories than our bodies need. This of course forces or body to use it's stored energy (both fat and muscle) as energy. So even with "man" levels of testosterone your body is not likely to suddenly start using energy to build new muscles. What it will do is realize that you are using those muscles, so it shouldn't break them down for energy and it should break down fat instead. So really, it shouldn't be a fear even with PCOS if you are dieting.
  • jcstanton
    Options
    im not a professional, but i have been told i have pcos. ive never had my levels tested, but ive been lifting for two months and havent bulked up.. ive lost 20+ inches over all and lost almost 10 pounds. even with our higher testosterone, while eating at a deficit we cant gain much muscle mass.. some will from "newbie gains" if youve never lifted before, but its not much at all. in order to get big you have to eat over maintenance and for the majority of women, involves taking steroids.

In most cases of PCOS, this holds true. However, I have about as extreme a case as there ever was. I have EVERY symptom on the list in a major way. I'm almost completely bald in some places on my head, I have to shave my face every day (I could probably grow a full beard if I didn't), I have embarrassing amounts of dark hair on my arms, back, and chest, I have skin tags all over my neck, I have dark patches of skin under my arms, and I've had one period (without the help of estrogen therapy) since I was diagnosed in 1993. This would lead me to believe that there is an even bigger deficit in my estrogen and larger surplus of testosterone than most women with PCOS.

@ the OP: Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread and turn it into a discussion about hormone disorders.
  • jcstanton
    Options

Even a man will not be able to add much muscle while dieting. When we diet we ingest less calories than our bodies need. This of course forces or body to use it's stored energy (both fat and muscle) as energy. So even with "man" levels of testosterone your body is not likely to suddenly start using energy to build new muscles. What it will do is realize that you are using those muscles, so it shouldn't break them down for energy and it should break down fat instead. So really, it shouldn't be a fear even with PCOS if you are dieting.

Okay, if I'm understanding your point correctly, you're saying that I'd have to increase my calorie intake in addition to having staggering levels of testosterone in order to "bulk up" in the true sense of the term?
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Ok so, as many women i am one of those that is scared to be lifting weights due to i'm afraid of bulking up. I have however been giving it a go for the past two weeks but even though i have been i'm still freaking myself out about it. I'm so worried about the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" deal! I want to see the number on the scale DROP not increase!! Anyways, i'd love to hear different things about lifting weights and if possible see pictures of women who have used strength training to help them to achieve their goals. I'm so... confused when it comes to strength training. Confused and very nervous about getting big instead of skinny and toned. HELP ME PLEASE UNDERSTAND!!! :) Thanks to all who respond ahead of time :)

I'm sorry I dont really want to be rude... but allof you women are absolutely insane. IF IT was that easy to "BULK UP" everyone would be a walking meathead. it's taken me almost 2 years to get arms like mine.. and i lift HEAVY.. I'm up to 200-250 on the arms and i leg press 350 lbs. so you doing your 30-40 lbs a workout wont really make any difference at all... in a few years you may be a little more toner but thats it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Okay, if I'm understanding your point correctly, you're saying that I'd have to increase my calorie intake in addition to having staggering levels of testosterone in order to "bulk up" in the true sense of the term?

Pretty much. Gaining muscle is NOT easy. Not even for men.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    i lift HEAVY.. I'm up to 200-250 on the arms and i leg press 350 lbs. so you doing your 30-40 lbs a workout wont really make any difference at all... in a few years you may be a little more toner but thats it.

I sort of disagree here. I agree with the point, which is correct and valid - but not the specifics. :)

I lift heavy also - 3-4 days a week, at home. Also do cardio daily I do not use a gym. I have seen dramatic changes in one year. (fat loss, muscle improvement, and gain, strength gain, tightening, inch loss)

The heaviest weights I use are 45-50 lbs dumbells. But depending on exercise, rep count, set numbers, etc - range anywhere from 20-35 on most arm and chest work (one each arm) using dumbells. So it may be a 20, a 35, 45 or even a 50 lb dumbell- one per arm. But most of my work is the 20-35 dumbell range. A few exercises use the 40-50 range. They are the exceptions.

Legs, I usually use any where from 25 - 35 range dumbells, one each hand, but have more reps - due to the specific exercises, and routine style (which is a multiset circuit) A few things I would use 40-50's

And I have defiantly build lean muscle, lost fat, gained strength, and definition.

My biceps are 13.5 inches, when flexed, 11.5 unflexed/relaxed. Actually very little fat on my arms, thats hard flexed muscle.
    Legs are the same, as are hips. The fat is mainly on my belly now.

When unflexed, I just look fit, but softer, with some definition. Flexed looks more muscular/atheletic

I have improved, and even gained some lean muscle in a number of areas, and lost fat all over. My shoulders are much more developed now, then in those pics, since I have lower body fat a bit more.

Excuse the lighting, image quality - its a cell phone, with weird bathroom lights :)

These were taken probably 15 lbs ago. I have lost some body fat then, so actually have more definition now. But not yet quite where I want to be. Still a bit to much fat on top, which I am working on.

From my profile:
    10029138_8281.jpg
    10029138_3596.jpg
    10029138_574.jpg
    10029138_3711.jpg

So more then "toned" :) May not look it from images, but anywhere on my body, its firm muscle. I have been so called "toned" before, and in a different place now.

I do AGREE, its not easy to add on lean muscle (or even "bulky" muscle) and NOT as easy as many women think. Its hard for a man, MUCH harder for a women.

A gain of a 1 pound of muscle a month is VERY hard for a women if all factors are correct. (diet, exercise, macro, etc)

Diet, macros, calorie levels (at surplus) play a HUGH factor in GAINING muscle. And genetics still are also a hugh factor.

The stereotypical "Bulky" man looking women - also do MANY other things - specifically fine tuned to create that body.

Steroids use, and other specialized pharmaceuticals are key, (I am not talking vitamin supplements, protein powder and cretene here).

Very very low body fat. Much lower then you get to by accident.

Specialized diets - again MUCH m,ore specialized and specific then most on here use.

Dehydration, and strict very fast fat loss just before an event.

Specialized exercise plans, and weight loads - again - way more spo[specialized then any women here will "accidentally" do

You don't get there, or even where the regular Competitors or Fitness models are by accident. It hard works, lots and lots.

They literally dedicate hours a day to that body transformation. Not 60 minutes lifting and 30-60 min cardio 5-6 days a week, a change to clean or other "flavor of the day" eating :)

And they still take years to get there. You do not wake up one morning and go - "oh dang I got all bulky" - it takes time - lots of time, commitment, lots of changes in diet, lifestyle etc,

And gaining muscle IS NOT the same as losing fat over muscle, so you can see the muscle - thats losing fat.

Many women think they look bulky - because they have not yet lost the fat over, and around the muscle. Loss the fat, let the muscle show - then you DO LEAN out, lose inches, and you look fit as opposed to "bulky"

I am from a family of thick calves, we all have them, can't ever wear boots. No matter how "thin" we get. I started lifting heavy weights, including legs, and after years of nothing else working - I can now wear boots. :) I did need to also lose excess fat - but fat lose alone never did this for me. But fat loss AND muscle conditioning with heavy weights, thinned out and better defined my legs and calves.

I personally don't think you need to be lifting in the 200 lb plus range to have visible benefits ether. Nothing wrong with that option, thats great.

But much depends on the type of routine, and lift type, and rep count and set count, you do. One can defiantly benefit even at a lower range, if its "heavy" for them at a lower rep count. If form is good, moves are correct type, and you are steadily increasing weight range and improving strength.

I do agree, lifting heavy for you, based on your routine, and form and low reps is the better option.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I do 5 pound weights on my arms and wall sits.. I have naturally muscular arms though.. I dislike it.
    ... Wall sits help with the legs right?
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Ditto what lizard053 said. I've been doing strength training with weights 2x/week for the past 6 months, have lost 71# & dropped down from a size 24 to a size 10. I have built muscle for sure, but nothing bulky. Smaller all over & more toned. Go for it! :)
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    ME! I'm doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution now, too...and in her words, "Use the heaviest weights you got [for this exercise]. You wont get big. This is how we get ripped." <--and the proof is in the pudding (aka, my used-to-be bicips) ...just kidding...kinda

You cannot add muscle on a significant calorie deficit....
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Of course I lift weights :) not as much as a probably should though... And it's impossible for you to bulk up as a woman unless you put forth an extreme amount of effort and eat a lot of calories.
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    First of all, muscle does not weigh more than fat!!! One pound of fat = One pound of muscle. The difference is that muscle is denser, more defined and more compact than fat. Lifting weights is a great addition to your weight loss efforts, no worries about bulking up.
  • RynoSada15
    RynoSada15 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    remember it's not just what the scale says, it's how you look and how your clothes fit! A lot of people ignore the number all together. Lifting weights in addition to cardio burns twice, if not more, calories, and continues to do so long after you're done exercising, as well as dramatically boosts metabolism. If you have fat to lose, you will still see your weight going down on the scale, and maybe even at a faster rate. Lifting weights also changes the shape of your body (in a good way), and can improve upon shapes, such as creating a great butt and toned thighs, and slim, toned arms that don't have any "jiggle". Unless you're into protein shakes etc for a fitness competition you will not bulk up like a man would at all. I have a body type that builds muscle easily (hidden under my current layer of insulation) and I still always do strength training when exercising.
  • Malrose01
    Malrose01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I lift. I mean, it makes you look better naked, you get stronger, you burn more calories doing nothing because your muscles are maintaining. I really don't see any downside at all, except being sore. My arms are killing this week, but I'll be able to do more push-ups next week because of it.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    protein shakes do not bulk you. Thats a misconception.

They just give you the extra protein needed to help build muscle, and help body function better. Just help boost your macro levels, as a supplement.

I actually lose fat easier and faster when my protein levels are "high", and that includes protein shakes as needed..

Male or female, lifting weights SHOULD have higher protein levels to facilitate muscle repair, rebuilding, and re-composition. If your protein levels are to low, you will have difficulty lifting, gaining strength, and repairing and even adding on muscle. It also can limit body fat loss.

Unless you are drinking enough protein shakes to raise your calorie level to high, so you are in a large calorie surplus, taking in to many calories,

Yes that can cause weight gain, fat gain, and bulk. The bulk is from fat,. and to many calories - but you can get that from anything that causes you to go beyond your target cal range - including fruit, vegetable, clean foods, potato chips french fries - or anything else. :) Its not the protein thats the issue - its the extra calories, and that can be in any form.

I was just reading some recent studies today, that show that women especially, function much better with higher protein levels then those currently recommended. Especially when strength or resistance training. .8 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass is the recommended average range while strength training.

More, in some cases, if you are actively trying to bulk (add on larger amounts of muscle)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!