How many women on here are lifting weights????????

Options

Replies

• chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    13949341_8885.jpg

There is no bulking for woman when weight lifting unless you are actually training to bulk and taking supplements for it...

I weight lift 3 times a week, not like a girl either - last night during my lower body workout I leg pressed 260lbs and squatted 200 lbs...

I am currently at 136.6 lbs fitting in a 3/4 (5/6 depending on brand of course) pair of jeans...

So don't be afraid girl - bodybuilding.com has awesome 12 week plans which gives you a great balance between cardio and lifting (all for free)
  • eedossa
    eedossa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just started, and I love it!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I do 3 times a week, 40 min each session, love it!
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Okay now I know it isn't much at all... and I know my arms still have a butt ton of fat hanging down. But you see that little faint horizontal line in my bicep? That's the first time in my entire life that I've had any type of definition pretty much anywhere on my body. That's after about 2 weeks of weight and strength training. Before, it was just a straight pile of sagging flab crap.

id85kg.jpg

2e49q1w.jpg
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I do!!! When I go on vacation now, my weight stays the same, even though I eat poorly. But when I just did cardio, I'd always come home from vacation weighing more. Strength training works for me!!!!
  • tkaawa
    tkaawa Posts: 302
    Options
    first off, muscle does not weigh more than fat. a pound is a pound. muscle takes up less space than fat though.
    secondly. it is not possible for you to bulk up. you don't have the testosterone for it (as someone else said). Lifting heavy is great.

I have been lifting for close to a year. I have not bulked up (because it's not possible since I'm not roided out!) but I have noticed significant toning going on which was the idea. :)

ok...sorry for my miswording...........MUSCLE IS MUCH NICER TO LOOK AT.........
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Posted some of these in the other thread, but this one seems to be the one with the most action.

For anyone concerned about "gaining weight" while lifting... I started lifting in July. I gained a few pounds since going on maintenance in October. Can you see it? I can't. I can only see me looking better. :smile:

strength-training.jpg

front-before-after.jpg

bum-before-after.jpg
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    first off, muscle does not weigh more than fat. a pound is a pound. muscle takes up less space than fat though.
    secondly. it is not possible for you to bulk up. you don't have the testosterone for it (as someone else said). Lifting heavy is great.

I have been lifting for close to a year. I have not bulked up (because it's not possible since I'm not roided out!) but I have noticed significant toning going on which was the idea. :)

You sort of had the idea right but wrong wording. Muscle, by volume, is less than fat per pound.

fat-v-muscle.jpg

• chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I love this thread and how many women are on it and lifting HEAVY!

Do it, you won't regret it. To add my 2 cents:

I look better after a year or so of heavy lifting than I ever have before.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Or if you have a hormone imbalance, like me. I have PCOS, so I have more testosterone than most women. I do have to be careful about how I do my strength training. I usually lift a moderate amount of weight (too heavy and I'll bulk up, too light and I don't feel like I'm lifting anything), and I do two sets of fifteen reps and I do strength training twice per week...cardio four times per week.
    The testosterone increase is still minimal compared to a male though. While I don't disagree that some females do have higher test levels than others (just like males do too), I haven't seen it significant enough to keep a female from staying feminine looking by lifting heavy weights to assist with weight loss or body recompostition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition[/b

Not trying to start a debate on the subject. I'm just relaying my own personal experience. Several years ago, a personal trainer put me on a heavy lifting program. After about six months or so, I decided to stop lifting heavy and switched to a more moderate weight with higher reps because my neck, shoulders, chest, back, and legs were looking more bulky than just fit and toned. I've always been unusually strong for a woman anyway, so it doesn't take long for me to start seeing results. Although, I guess muscular and bulky still looks better than fat and sloppy.
  • tkaawa
    Options

You sort of had the idea right but wrong wording. Muscle, by volume, is less than fat per pound.

fat-v-muscle.jpg

and it just sounds better..lol..thankyou for correcting me though, because i'm kind of bummed out that i was misinformed.
  • Blueeyes1117
    Blueeyes1117 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Heres some pictures that may help you. (not of me)

My results have been similar, I am 10-15 pounds heavier then my "rough goal weight" but am already AT my goal clothing size, and physically I am about 1-2 times smaller clothing wise, then last time I was at my goal weight (when I had less muscle) -

So I look tighter leaner and smaller, then before at my "small" weight. No jiggles.

So to everyone else I look like I am already at my goal weight. But I am heavier, which is fine :) Ignore the scale.

Less weight - yep you look good dressed and may fit the smaller clothing size - but, add more muscle and a bit more scale weight - you also fit the smaller clothing size, look good dressed AND look good nakkid.

I lift heavy weights, low reps - that has given me the fastest results in fat loss, and lean muscle improvement, tightening and body changes.

5 lbs heavier in after pic, but tighter and leaner
    236227942924235826_gkkV70hE_f.jpg

Not same girl, but cute example
    283304632779084974_6m2KFBn5_f.jpg

Same weight, after was when she started lifting heavy
    75153887501416986_Y1GnYQpg_f.jpg

Different girls but both size 4
    Size4Comparison-300x182.png

Same girl, before and after lifting heavy weights, she lost 5 lbs
    tumblr_lr5tonlb3A1qgyxugo1_500.jpg

Stacy, read her story here: She is 14 lbs heavier in after
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    160933386653933440_XDkHzL9R_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912536_Q9O5CANq_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912535_fBi9urCv_f.jpg

Different girl, but both size 2
    size2.jpg?w=288&h=223

Wow!! Thank you sooo much this has definitely given me a different perspective on strength training!!!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i started lifting heavy (for me) in january. i took 6 week measurements and id lost 20 inches overall... i also have pcos.
    ive lost 8.4 pounds since then as well, even with half-assing all of february and being over on calories just about every week.
    unless you eat above maintenance and take steroids, you wont "bulk up" like a man.. you might LOOK bigger in parts until your body fat goes down some more, but its all worth it in the end.
  • Blueeyes1117
    Blueeyes1117 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    13949341_8885.jpg

There is no bulking for woman when weight lifting unless you are actually training to bulk and taking supplements for it...

I weight lift 3 times a week, not like a girl either - last night during my lower body workout I leg pressed 260lbs and squatted 200 lbs...

I am currently at 136.6 lbs fitting in a 3/4 (5/6 depending on brand of course) pair of jeans...

So don't be afraid girl - bodybuilding.com has awesome 12 week plans which gives you a great balance between cardio and lifting (all for free)

Thank you :) YOU LOOK AWESOME!!!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I lift. I love it! It helps me with stress as well as keep me toned! It is a great complement to my running!
  • tkaawa
    Options
    see again, i've been misinformed...

so is it better to lift heavier with less reps?

also, i don't want to bulk up on my legs...i'm 5' 4.5" and afraid of getting thicker legs...mind you i'm pure Samoan, so might not be able to handle that yah?
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    LOVE this thread! I sent you a friend request. I just started lifting two wks ago.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

also, i don't want to bulk up on my legs...i'm 5' 4.5" and afraid of getting thicker legs...mind you i'm pure Samoan, so might not be able to handle that yah?

heavy, less reps. 4-6 to really build strength. 6-12 is okay too. 15 would really only be used to learn form. As heavy as you can and still complete (or almost complete) your set with good form. 3 to 5 sets.

Calorie deficit is what controls weight loss or gain. If you are eating at a deficit, it is very unlikely that your body will use it's energy to build large amounts of muscle. However where we store our fat is genetic. Mine is in my legs. Weight lifting (without fat loss) hasn't made my legs bigger, but it hasn't made them smaller either.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If you are new to weight lifting, try a Group Power or Body Pump class. Most areas have at least one of those at the YMCA or other gyms. I have been doing Group Power 2 to 3 times a week for the past 3 years, and I have not bulked up or started to look like an Amazon woman. But I do look and feel stronger and more toned.

Those classes are done to music, and if you are totally new to weigh lifting, they have you do the routine with an empty bar or very light weights until you are familiar with the lifts.

Good luck!
  • tkaawa
    Options

heavy, less reps. 4-6 to really build strength. 6-12 is okay too. 15 would really only be used to learn form. As heavy as you can and still complete (or almost complete) your set with good form. 3 to 5 sets.

Calorie deficit is what controls weight loss or gain. If you are eating at a deficit, it is very unlikely that your body will use it's energy to build large amounts of muscle. However where we store our fat is genetic. Mine is in my legs. Weight lifting (without fat loss) hasn't made my legs bigger, but it hasn't made them smaller either.

Thank you very much for the information....definitely learned something new and gonna try heavier
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!