Things I've learned since starting MFP...add yours!

Options

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I can lose weight while eating over 1800 cals a day and I only workout three times a week.

I learned that FOOD IS FUEL - nothing more nothing less.

Eating a cookie not only doesn't stop my weightloss, some times it can help it.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have learned to get rid of all the silly myths, the eating every 2 hours on time or it screws up your metabolism, not eating after 7pm, too many carbs, too few carbs, all that matters is cals in vs cals out.

I have learned that people do annoying things in the gym from reading a few of the threads haha

I have learned I dont have to starve all the time, that my body needs fuel for these crazy workouts
  • koumbay
    koumbay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I was eating wayyyyyyyyyyy too much sodium!!
    I've also learned that I CAN do this!! just gotta take it one day at a time, slow and steady wins the race!
  • TweedleDebo
    TweedleDebo Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I've learned that it really isn't THAT hard to not eat crap. I am so much more aware of what I put into my body now. I honestly don't even crave a regular soda anymore and I don't think twice before ordering an unsweetened tea at a restaurant. I choose where we go out to eat based on if they offer healthy alternatives.

I've also learned that MFP is WAY more addicting that Facebook has ever been for me. I rarely check FB anymore, but you bet your butt I'm checking in with my friends on here daily.
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have learned eating " fun size" candy bars are not fun on the scale:0(

Ain't that the truth!
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am learning that the people with the most success log in daily, and that you have to allow your body to change it's own way. Some people loose more inches at first than pounds.
    OH, big thing I have learned.....Drink Water. Lots of it. I hate it, but it is some kind of miracel thingy. Drink Water.

Best of Luck to All !! =)
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    How many calories I was drinking in alcohol. Just a one glass of my "Key lime pie" (1.5 shots of pinnacle whipped vodka, 6 oz of limeade- delicious)- was almost 300 calories! One or two drinks every other night was adding up to over a pound a week. Yikes! those got cut out immedatley- now I only make them very rarely. My taste for alcohol has almost completley dissapeared actually; I'll still go out on saturdays about once a month, or have people over for a dinner party, but it's very, very rare I'll ever have a drink during the week anymore. I'd rather eat my calories then drink them.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I've learned that you can find clever people, can cease to feel lonely, and not being judged
    I've learned my friends here are amazing :)
    I've learned so many scientific things :)
  • Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've learned that the support here is amazing, and if you're feeling down guaranteed you can find a tread/comment/post that will make you smile.

Thanks for that!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have learned to get rid of all the silly myths, the eating every 2 hours on time or it screws up your metabolism, not eating after 7pm, too many carbs, too few carbs, all that matters is cals in vs cals out.

I have learned that people do annoying things in the gym from reading a few of the threads haha

I have learned I don't have to starve all the time, that my body needs fuel for these crazy workouts
    [/quote

^
    | This plus

I can do and enjoy so much more exercise, at over 60, than I ever thought possible!

That my HRM was the second best investment I made; joining Jazzercise was the very best.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have learned:

1. My doctor is right- I really don't eat very much salt in my diet. Hence why I get dizzy when I stand up. (Low blood pressure-yes I'm weird.)

2. Calories are not things to be scared of-just to be understood.

3. It's not THAT hard to cook every day AND wash the dishes. But it's very rewarding.

4. It's not the program I'm no the dictates my success, it's the community of support I'm getting and this one's the best.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've learned that women who eat a lot and lift heavy are really hot. :laugh:
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I've learned:
    that anything works for a while...you gotta shake things up.
    to ask for help when I need it because someone on MFP has a tip or suggestion to help me out.
    No matter how good your support is at home it does not compare to the support of your friends on MFP...they just "get it" way better.
    I can do ANYTHING for 60 seconds!
    I am a cardio junkie!
    I also learned that I CAN in fact run and it did NOT kill me!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I learned how to add pictures!

And to be honest, non-horn-tootage- im so used to people telling me that Im an inspiration to them, but here I can Finally say that I've been inspired by someone else for a change. I needed that so much. That new air.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've learned

1. What skinny fat means, and that I've been that most of my life. I knew it but didn't have the term for it.

2. Jillian Michaels is the devil.

3. Water is magic.

4. I can live without Coke...I mean Coca-Cola.

5. I can cook an egg in the microwave.

6. Everybody, no matter their size or effort, deserves applause for doing something positive for their bodies through nutrition or exercise.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ordinary people out there who also have full time jobs, families and social lives who still find time to get fitter and more fabulous than I'd ever imagined was possible!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    If you're too heavy or unfit, people will hate on you.

If you're too thin or fit, people will hate on you.

The only people that don't get hated on are the Harlem Globetrotters.
  • dawnblu
    dawnblu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    1. I totally agree with the pre-weigh-in dump. :tongue:
    2. I've learned that I don't mind working out, I just hate to sweat! my answer - water aerobics at the YMCA. If those old gals can do it, so can I and it's fun. I'm kinda addicted to it now.:noway:
    3. I found a support system on here of friends I didn't even know I had with similar goals and problems. I'm not the only overweight fish in this sea! It's great when I post about family emergencies and health problems, I get virtual hugs from across the country and overseas! :flowerforyou:
  • debra102011
    Options
    Good Morning,

I turned 57 years old yesterday (3/1/2012) and never felt better. Lost 16 lbs (since 1/18/12) without miracle diets simply a will to do it , food journal and exercise.

Thanks for this site.
    Debra
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I've learned that using a website/app to track calories and workouts with the singular goal of losing weight can quite literally change your entire life in ways that you never saw coming. :heart:

That, and when your start to lose weight you need to give your bones time to shrink. :laugh: