cursing + having little kids ==

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    okay, so anyone who knows me, knows i curse. a lot. all the time. sure, it's not ladylike, but i don't really give a fu@k.

anywho ... i have 3 little ones (3, 6 & 7) and i never did that "oh, i'm not going to curse in front of them" thing. I figured I'm not going to keep them sheltered from something as inane as bad words. Yeah, they all dropped the f bomb before the age of 3, but that was it - they never cursed again. They know they are bad words, they know they can't say them, they are sensitized to that they are not "special" words at all.

am i ahead of the curve or have i ruined my children for life? Only time will tell. (maybe they'll end up rebelling and they'll stick their noses up to punk rock and listen to xtian music and go to church. who knows.)

What do you do about cursing? yay or ney?
    To help make it easier for my daughter and myself, I permitted her to let me know if I've said a bad work and I'd give her a quarter. I was up to $9.00 in a month, but this month it's really calmed down.
    I think it's good to at least show your kids that you can be polite enough not to curse while around them and it will carry over when they socialize too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I swear like a trucker. I never stopped when I had kids and my 2 oldest have said some choice words on several occasions. They know they are 'bad words' and that they shouldn't say them until they are an adult. In fact, when my oldest was in Kindergarten, his teacher asked what he wants to do when he grows up and he said, "say bad words".
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I curse with gusto and frequency, especially any time I have a wrench in my hand.

Glad I'm not the only one. :laugh:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options

In my experience, people who come from "good" (kind, wealthy, well-educated and well-traveled) families do NOT swear nearly as much as those who come from "bad" families.

That's the most shortsighted, snobbish, and elitist thing I've read in a while.
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

"Bloody bullsh*t"! I love it!! Why is it that when the British curse it sounds so classy?? I make one of my English friends say swear words for me just so I can hear them. lol

Doesn't sound too classy when someone is up in your face telling you to f@#k off - believe me........ :wink:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    When my sister and I were growing up, if my dad heard another male, regardless of age, curse in front of us, he would politely pull them aside and ask them to refrain from speaking that way in front of his daughters. It mortified me back then, but as I got older, I came to realize that he was teaching ME a lesson about standing up for myself and demanding to be treated with respect.

I was simply raised to believe that cursing is rude, and I still think that. But I'm also aware that most people were not and are not raised that way, so if I want to be a functional member of society, I'm going to have to deal with it in some situations. The world is what it is. When it comes to personal relationships, however, I can choose not to deal with it. To me, it's no different than smoking or drinking or anything else that some people find so annoying or offensive than they don't want to be around people engaging in those activities.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

That is all.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

In my experience, people who come from "good" (kind, wealthy, well-educated and well-traveled) families do NOT swear nearly as much as those who come from "bad" families.

This. Judgemental much? Go outside of the world, and leave your little pretentious bubble, and learn that your false assumption is so wrong.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Eh, I think it's true to a certain degree. I would definitely describe my family as kind, but not "wealthy, well-educated and well-traveled," and I was still raised with the belief that profanity isn't proper. Where I think socioeconomics truly come into play on this issue is that people from upper class families tend to have a better grasp of the "time and place" aspect. From my experience, they tend to be more aware that there are certain circumstances where foul language is not only inappropriate but inexcusable and highly offensive.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

o... did someone just say this snobbiness sincerely? I cant even... i ... its like... all they left out was Christian.... :( America saddens me so much right now. I had no idea that the amount of money my dad made at work before coming home and helping me with my homework and playing outside with my brother and I... had so much to do with whether or not I came from a good family.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    tumblr_llc1ee8kIj1qdqqiao1_500.gif
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    eh, not a big deal. they're going to be around it ALL the time when they get older.
    My parents cursed all the time too. & i also turned out ok :P

I honestly think its cute/funny to hear a little kid curse, especially when they mispronounce it...OMG adorable xD

Id rather have my little girl curse & listen to rob zombie rather than have her nose in books all day. EW!!

I sincerely hope that this is a joke.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    eh, not a big deal. they're going to be around it ALL the time when they get older.

I honestly think its cute/funny to hear a little kid curse, especially when they mispronounce it...OMG adorable xD

Id rather have my little girl curse & listen to rob zombie rather than have her nose in books all day. EW!!

Your kid is totally gonna work for my kid one day
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    Options

BLAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.............

*breathes*

BAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

oh yea and

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCtD0v4rKmVl2ADv9HsOrXiUFi0jZmlhTxUc0ID4eAoQN6ityX1Q
  • AnneH1977
    AnneH1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    "Id rather have my little girl curse & listen to rob zombie rather than have her nose in books all day. EW!!"

And we wonder why we're slipping down the list of intelligent countries.

You know, there are girls who do all of the above...just saying...
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    Options
    "Id rather have my little girl curse & listen to rob zombie rather than have her nose in books all day. EW!!"

And we wonder why we're slipping down the list of intelligent countries.

Ya know, there are girls who do all of the above...just saying.

<~ example.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    LOL at the trolling.

My parents took the "if you know the words know when to use them" approach with me, I'm taking the same with my son. He's asked what the words mean. I've told him they are just for grown ups.
  • lunaephiliac
    Options
    BEST. RESPONSE. EVER.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't curse. My husband doesn't either. I can't imagine doing it in front of my children. That's what works for us.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If they don't hear it at home they are going to hear it some where sooner or later. As long as they know it is wrong then that is what matters. I told my two boy's that once they reached the age of 13-14 if the swore I didn't want to hear it in my presence. Then I told them once they were 16 and older if I heard it I would say something. Now they either swear or don't I myself have learned to control the swearing as well I have been told in the past I swear worse then a sailor.

I think as long as they know it isn't right that is what counts. My two kids have never been sent home from school or day care for swearing.