cursing + having little kids ==

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I would never curse in front of my 4 year old daughter (I never curse anyways). I have told her she is not allowed to swear because it is a rude thing to do. My boyfriend occasionally lets a swear slip in front of her but I correct him immediately, or she will. She asked me if she is allowed to swear when she is older and I told her when she is not living in mommy's house. It's funny when we are out in public and she hears an adult swear she will say "that's a bad word, swearing is rude".
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I love how just because some of us don't swear in front of our kids they are automatically "sheltered" children. whatever.

No, I don't think that's what they are saying. People raise children differently, and have very different opinions.

I think bullying is a good thing. I think kids fighting in high school is a good thing. I did both, I got bullied as a kid as well. I think I learned some pretty damn good lessons from each. How to stand up for myself, why I can't shoot my mouth off to people randomly.

I think we are living in a society that has put children into bubbles. There is no need for it. This is only a recent thing, and we are still here after thousands of years. Children haven't changed. The way we parent has.
  • paisley2288
    paisley2288 Posts: 913 Member
    Options

I think it sounds common.

i'm actually english royalty.

LMAO
  • RH_Brazell
    RH_Brazell Posts: 339
    Options
    I try not to but i tend to curse alot...my children have repeated it but they know that they are bad words and are not allowed to say them
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options

I think it sounds common.

i'm actually english royalty.

LMAO

finally someone liked my joke. :flowerforyou:
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Definitely a Nay. Good parents at least "try" to shield their children from it.

*hangs head in shame for obviously not being a good parent............................

Ditto. Should we start a support group?
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    I didn't swear till I had kids. ;)

LOL!
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    I've cursed since I grew up and left my parents home. That was our family rule. As a child in their home, cursing was not allowed. If I did it in my circle of friends to look like a badass, well, that was just at my own risk. I'm the same with my children. They know what all of the adult words are. They know that they are children in my house and are subject to the rules of my house or of any grown-ups house. If they are unsure of a rule, they are welcome to ask but are required to follow them respectfully. Of course, this only happens about 80% of the time because they're little kids.... they forget to put their shoes away and I trip over them. They leave a wild Lego on the floor from time to time, etc. They do not curse. The worst I've ever heard one of them say was 'damn' and that was quickly stopped in its tracks. My Mason was about 3 and couldn't find his 'damn sock'. That was the end of that mess. I don't think I've scarred them for life. I think I've given them the knowledge they need to follow the rules that I want followed. I'm an adult and I don't walk on eggshells around my own home. That goes for a lot more than cursing as well. If I choose to watch TV when they go to bed, that doesn't mean they can stay up and sneak back into the living room to watch TV. I make sure they know that they have different rules to follow because they are children. I also do my best not to negotiate with them. Sometimes I give in when they want an extra snack or want to finish a movie that ends at 8:15 on a non-school night (bedtime is 8:00 p.m. sharp). I do not negotiate about the rules though. A time out is a time out whether they apologize or not. No means no and will not be discussed. I love them more than my own life, but I don't raise my children as my friends. I'm a parent first and foremost.

Love it!
  • cindy4mica
    Options

"Bloody bullsh*t"! I love it!! Why is it that when the British curse it sounds so classy?? I make one of my English friends say swear words for me just so I can hear them. lol

Doesn't sound too classy when someone is up in your face telling you to f@#k off - believe me........ :wink:

Lol, I'd imagine not!
  • ashli_rose
    Options
    I'm kind of lost as to what loving to read has to do with anything else. But whatever. I love to read and I love Rob Zombie and love the F word.

And I love you!! haha. At least you have your head on straight!
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    s3wws.jpg
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I don't use profanity around people who are much younger or much older. I also tack on a Miss or Mister if the person is very old. Just the way I was brought up.

However, I don't necessarily shelter my kids because I don't curse. My four-year-old thinks "Urine" is a planet because his teacher is too persnickety to say "Your @nus". Because "Urine us" sounds so much better? They know about body parts, and are well-versed in how to deal with any *kitten* that tries to mess with them.

This is my choice as a parent. It doesn't reflect on your choice. I'd prefer you not cuss at or around my kids, and I will do my best not to teach yours about Uranus. :flowerforyou:
  • DayumStraightIAmEllie
    DayumStraightIAmEllie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Haaaaa i do it a lot. But when i have kids it will def be a nay.
  • Phant4sy
    Phant4sy Posts: 83
    Options
    i M THE SAME WAY YOU ARE. YAY. totally agree
    okay, so anyone who knows me, knows i curse. a lot. all the time. sure, it's not ladylike, but i don't really give a fu@k.

anywho ... i have 3 little ones (3, 6 & 7) and i never did that "oh, i'm not going to curse in front of them" thing. I figured I'm not going to keep them sheltered from something as inane as bad words. Yeah, they all dropped the f bomb before the age of 3, but that was it - they never cursed again. They know they are bad words, they know they can't say them, they are sensitized to that they are not "special" words at all.

am i ahead of the curve or have i ruined my children for life? Only time will tell. (maybe they'll end up rebelling and they'll stick their noses up to punk rock and listen to xtian music and go to church. who knows.)

What do you do about cursing? yay or ney?
  • DayumStraightIAmEllie
    Options
    I love how just because some of us don't swear in front of our kids they are automatically "sheltered" children. whatever.

Exactly!

I was sheltered not because i wasn't aloud to say *kitten* or D*mn as a kid but because i wasnt aloud to go to parties or friends house. BIG difference.

It is one thing to keep your children from saying it. It is a whole other issue to say it in front of them.
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was putting my son to bed early the other night for being a brat all day and disrespecting his mother.(he was tired) Anyway, on the way up the stairs he called me a "Vagina". It was hard not to laugh. Vagina- ha ha ha!

HA HA HA HA!! That's hilarious! I literally laughed out loud at that one. From now on when someone pisses me off, maybe I'll just start calling them random reproductive parts of the body. Example:
    "Watch where you're going you stupid vas deferens!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • DayumStraightIAmEllie
    Options
    I would never curse in front of my 4 year old daughter (I never curse anyways). I have told her she is not allowed to swear because it is a rude thing to do. My boyfriend occasionally lets a swear slip in front of her but I correct him immediately, or she will. She asked me if she is allowed to swear when she is older and I told her when she is not living in mommy's house. It's funny when we are out in public and she hears an adult swear she will say "that's a bad word, swearing is rude".

Hahahaa that is so cute!
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    s3wws.jpg

Haha LOVE it!
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I've learned to never say never when it comes to parenting. :tongue:
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    *kitten* YOU!
    <snip>

Did you type that in front of little kids??! :)

Even worst than little kids. Even worst than fetuses. OVARIES!! :devil: :tongue:

BTW: In a previous post I recall banding together the smoking and drinking emoticons (:smokin: + :drinker: ) I was really hoping the alcohol would have caught the flame and this thread would be but a distant memory. Cursing + having little kids thread, why u still *****in* here? :explode: