Anyone on a 1000 calorie diet? need lots of support!!

Options

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    This doesn't sound healthy. Be careful with yourself. Rapid results are not always what you want. You may lose weight, but you also put your body at risk for weaker bones, strange metabolism, deteriorating muscle/organs. Just be careful with yourself. You only get one you.
  • kezzie2012
    Options
    i have 1200 a day and normally end up eating less anyway but setting yourself 1000 a day will be so hard hun, ive done it in the past and struggled so much and made myself feel ill. im sure we can all support you to lose weight hun but please be careful x
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I did a very restricted calorie diet a few years ago, and it was miserable. Was under the care of a physician, and couldn't stick with it. It was 500 calories w/no carbs the first 2 weeks, then slowly adding different vegetables, etc to the diet. To be honest, I'm done just as well here without putting my body under such stress.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to be one of those people that this is dangerous because I've had days where I wasn't really hungry and ate less than 1000 cals, but I will say, when I first started losing weight I ate 1000 or less but not on purpose and this did not last. I just ended up getting hungrier and hungrier. I never binged or anything but I really don't think it works unless you are supervised by a professional. Not in the long run anyway.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. Your body needs fuel to function properly.

But heck, what do I know? I've only shed 130+ pounds and dropped my body fat from 56 to 22% by eating nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, drinking plenty of water, and exercising regularly.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I had rapid results eating 1400-1900 cal. I would never go that low. I lost 10lbs a month for a year straight then the rest came off slower......and here I am after 2 years still thin. No fads for me. This is a lifestyle change.
  • Tajdancer
    Tajdancer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Did you know that the regression rate for weight loss in the US is between 80 and 90%? That means 8-9 out of every 10 people who lose weight will put it back on again within 1-5 years.

Did you also know that along with that regain, the generally slowed metabolisms of those dieters makes them gain EXTRA weight on top of what they originally weighed? Typically about 10% more.

1000 calories is not a very low calorie diet - and by that I mean not one that necessarily needs medical supervision in order to make sure you don't kill yourself while you're doing it. But it is lower than recommended even for the most petite of people - you would basically be running your body on the bare minimum of energy it needs each day. I would expect fatigue, muscle and tone loss and perhaps other issues if you kept it up for long enough.

But you won't, because it's also just not realistically sustainable. Unless you are one in a million, it will frustrate you, you'll burn out, and like those 80-90% of other dieters you'll put it back on plus a little extra... so we'll see you again in a few years with a higher number on your mfp ticker and a bit more desperation in your eyes.

Not trying to be a *kitten* or anything but I see posts like this every day and now that 80-90% failure rate makes perfect sense to me. If you want health and wellness and a normal body weight, you need to re-adjust your entire relationship with food and eating. You need to enjoy good whole and lean foods, savor them, and feed yourself enough of them so that you have the energy left to be more active and work out. You need to love food, not avoid it. You need to get smart with it, know what's in it, know how energy dense it is, know how to maintain a caloric deficit, and most importantly know how to keep this new relationship with food balanced and healthy for the rest of your life.

Good luck, hope you make the right choices.

*vent over* sorry folks

Quoting in full because I think this excellent post bears repeating.
  • cherokeebunnie
    cherokeebunnie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No I would not like to join you on just a 1000 calories. I am on 1200 calories a day and that is hard enough.I would not choose to go any lower. I hope that you will see a doctor so that he or she can advise you on the right way to do this. I am loosing 2 -3 pounds a week eating 1200 and exercise.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Who's up for a 1000 calorie dinner with me? :drinker:
  • audreygumm
    Options
    This is my first time doing diet seriously, and i'm going to try a 1000 calorie diet for rapid results, do you want to join me? :smile:

Uhhh, I wouldn't go that low!!! I would start off by not lowering your calories but switching what you eat. I think if you try to drop everything and switch you eating habits all at once it will not end well. Try taking soda out the first week, then adding a good breakfast for the next week, then more fruits and veggies the next week, and so on. Set up a SMART Goal of what you want to achieve and by when and then map out the steps to ge there. If anything I think a 1000 calories in a day is too low for anyone!! Good luck!!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options

Where do I sign up? I was over my base caloric goal (1700 before exercise) by 2pm! I'm talking 800 calories over.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    unwise plan. Listen to all the above. You didn't put it on fast. If you lose fast, you will simply regain.
  • fitnezfr3ak
    Options
    Consuming these few calories will make you sick and will almost be impossible to keep up with. Remember, you need a lifestyle change not a quick solution. You didn't become overweight over night, don't expect to get thin over night. slow and steady wins the race here! Best of luck.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Nope. A 1k calorie diet is a ridiculously bad idea.
  • ifassnacht
    ifassnacht Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    someone should sticky this post. so all new comers can beware!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    No thanks. Here's why:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/510406-tdee-is-everything

Check these out, then decide if this is the route you really want to take. Good luck.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options

*raises hand and orders fishbowl margarita*
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

Does that include wine? :drinker:
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    no thanks.... 1000 is too low, even for me. try not to look for 'rapid results' or you may be let down overall.
    good luck though!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Oooh! Pick me! Pick me!
This discussion has been closed.