Anyone on a 1000 calorie diet? need lots of support!!

Options

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    OMG! All the negativity of people that posted. I have been on a 1,000 calorie diet since last May. I know my body and I'm doing JUST FINE! I have lost 60 pounds. And yes, I have tried the 1,200 cal diet, and it didn't work for me. So...YIPPY to a 1,000 calorie diet!! Only YOU know your body and how to control it..!!

It's pretty unlikely, though, that someone who's on her first attempt at weightloss knows her body well enough. Yes, there are exceptions -- but you're better advised to start off NOT assuming you're one of the exceptions.
  • DeenieWeenie
    DeenieWeenie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You are going to be so hungry. :frown: Good luck!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Instead of a low-calorie diet, why don't you just take one of those pills before bed that has you wake up 10lbs lighter in the morning? Do that four times and bam, you're at goal.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I would try to aim for no less than 1200 calories a day, I am on 1250 plus exercise calories and starting to lose now that I am actually staying within my calorie allotment for the day. Good luck!
  • gleechick609
    Options
    OMG! All the negativity of people that posted. I have been on a 1,000 calorie diet since last May. I know my body and I'm doing JUST FINE! I have lost 60 pounds. And yes, I have tried the 1,200 cal diet, and it didn't work for me. So...YIPPY to a 1,000 calorie diet!! Only YOU know your body and how to control it..!!

I bet your LBM is low
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    This is my first time doing diet seriously, and i'm going to try a 1000 calorie diet for rapid results, do you want to join me? :smile:

I'd re-thing this.
    Maybe try 1200 Net.

Eat your exercise calories and aim for 1200 net at the end of the day.
    Still low but maybe won't destroy your metabolism in the mean time.
  • ifassnacht
    ifassnacht Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is my first time doing diet seriously, and i'm going to try a 1000 calorie diet for rapid results, do you want to join me? :smile:

LOOK WHAT YOU STARTED! ;-)

in all seriousness, though. these guys and gals are right. 1000 calories is probably too low. you'll end up putting yourself into starvation mode (which lowers your metabolism). you won't be losing weight like you want to and you'll be starving at the same time. Eventually, you're going to binge (because your human). And once you binge you'll put on more weight because your metabolism is so sssssslllllllooooooowwwww.

You really want to determine your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). Which is basically the number of calories you burn each day to keep you alive (brain activity, breathing, pumping blood, digesting food, breathing) plus what you do all day (walking, sitting, sleeping, running, working out, watching tv, etc).

and then eat less than your TDEE!

good luck!
  • ifassnacht
    Options

hey! good for you. most of us don't know our body. at least i didn't. i'm still learning every day.

honestly, i should have been logging what i eat in something like MFP since i was 16.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Please raise your hand if your calorie intake is a doctors or MFP? Just wondering....

Mine is set by my doctor and nutritionist who I continue to see monthly.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Please raise your hand if your calorie intake is a doctors or MFP? Just wondering....

Neither. Determined mine by getting my body fat percentage tested by a professional trainer, calculated my BMR and TDEE, and found a number above BMR and below TDEE at which I either maintain or lose a very small amount of weight, very slowly and steadily. I currently eat at least 1800-2000 calories a day and am maintaining my current weight.

Most people lose lean body mass/muscle on 1000 calorie per day diets. And most people may not be able to intake enough nutrients on such a low calorie diet, to sustain a good level of health and fitness. That's why they are not recommended for most people. Hope your doctor has a background in nutrition. :flowerforyou:
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Words of advice -- 1000 calories a day is not easy. In fact it is very hard and it consumes my day to plan it all just perfect so I have "enough" food to make me satisfied. Gone are any prepackaged foods, fast foods, treats at work and most products like breads as they are too costly on the calories side for what little I get.

Veggies and lean meat and I have to cook it all myself. That is what you will have to live on (and NO condiments so you eat the meat without any). Make sure you can do it for the long term as it does not benefit you in any way to lose it quickly and not be able to sustain that lifestyle.

I did 1200 for 2 months and now on 1000 for last 1.5. I have lost no lean muscle nor have I "destroyed" my metabolism. Note that I am under Doctors care and I go every month so he can monitor my progress. I would recommend you do the same for your good health.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

I bet your LBM is low

I don't mean to be weird, but you are very pretty.

Anyway, yes, a long term low calorie diet can result in a high body fat % and low lean body mass. Trust me, I speak from experience. And having a high body fat % is not fun, it also means your BMR is lower (like by several hundred calories) than others with more lean muscle. Now I have to work twice as hard to get my body where it should be. I wish I had just made a small cut on my TDEE and did some strength training in the beginning.

My biggest concern about these 'rapid loss' diets is that once you get to the weight you want to be, where do you go from there? Do you want to eat like that for the rest of your life? Do you think it's sustainable in the long term? I personally think any changes you make to your diet should be ones you can do forever.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

Actually it should be set by your TDEE and no one knows that, not even your doctor. Because it's a shifting and complex number.

You can get a pretty good guesstimate though - either by having BMR testing done and adding on an activity multiplier or by watching your calorie intake and energy burn as accurately as you possibly can for a long enough period of time and making adjustments as necessary.

Incidentally, not to belittle the massive banks of knowledge that Doctors have, but GPs generally know little about nutrition - just by dint of the fact that they have to know a LOT about the body and focusing that hard on one single aspect is not within the scope of their jobs.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    You need to eat high protein foods when doing a low calorie diet in order to save your muscles, including your heart. Yes, your heart is a muscle and your body will consume your heart if you are not doing this right. You'll know your heart is being consumed when you start having irregular heart beats or heart palpation. In order to prevent such muscle loss it is recommended that you eat 1 gram of protein per pound of idea body weight and .5 grams of fat per pound of idea body weight. Strength training will also prevent muscle loss. You can do pushups, situps, and lunges. Also, eat a minimum of 40 carbs a day to provide you with enough energy to do your daily routine.
  • carebears1973
    carebears1973 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think many of you are being quite mean, nasty and unjust. This poor lady has only asked if someone wants to join her on HER diet plan, and you lot who have left mean messages have probably put her off using this site. I know some re trying to be kind, but all the negative messages make ME feel overwhelmed, yet alone how you have made this lady feel. SHAME ON YOU!!!!!

Hi, I would like to wish you all the luck in the world with your diet. It is up to you how many calories you want to consume each day. you are old enough to know your own body and how many calories you need regardless of the recommended amount. I am a vegetarian and it is very easy for me to have 3 meals a day plus snacks on 1000 calories.

I lost 3 stone in 2 months eating 1000 calories per day - 6 years ago. I kept the weight off for 2 years and only put it on again coz I started eating too much rubbish and not exercising, so it was my own fault. I exercised 3 hours a day 5 days a week too.

Go for it, and I wish you all the luck in the world with your diet. xx
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Agree 100% with Lucia. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you don't know the facts maybe you should hold of judgement. I didn't choose 1000 calories, it was ordered for me because of many reasons. And that Doctor, who has specialized in obesity and the health concerns associated with it for over 30 years, is the only one whose opinion I need.
  • ifassnacht
    Options
    I don't mean to be weird, but you are very pretty.

YEAH SHE IS! SMOKIN HOT!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Some might argue that only being able to eat 1000 calories is a sign that your metabolism is already kind of on the blink.

I love to eat. I'm having pepperoni pizza right now. If it came down to a choice between being a little overweight and eating what I want, or eating 1000 calories a day, I'd choose being a little overweight. In fact, I did choose that when I believed those were my only two choices. I'm so glad I was wrong and those aren't the only two options, but I wish I found that out sooner.

I lost weight on under 1000 calories a day, but it took a long *kitten* time, and I wasn't happy with my results when I got there, so much so that I just up and quit because I didn't want to live like that any longer. Still had a double chin. Still had a muffin top. Still had mushy thighs. Still had back fat rolls.

This time around, I lost weight eating about 1800 or more a day (1350-1500 plus exercise calories), was thrilled with my progress, and even more thrilled with my results.

I got to my goal weight of 130 both times. It was a lot easier and faster on 1800 calories, with better results.

five-years-later.jpg
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I refuse to be supportive of a bad decision and so will most other people. All those that whine about a lack of support are out of their minds if they think that supporting a bad decision does any good. That's called enabling and is not constructive.

Those with experience are never at the mercy with those with an opinion.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Since I gained weight following the advice of a registered dietitian recommended by my doctor (way too many carbs for my insulin resistant body to handle), then lost weight going on a very low calorie plan monitored by a bariatric physician resulting in gaining it all back plus the friends it brought along, I'm less than impressed with doctor's recommendations when it comes to weight loss. Sorry.

Doing great on MFP's recommendation of eating my BMR+exercise calories. Feel great doing it and looking better,more fit and healthy, and losing inches and gaining fitness, instead of getting skinny fat.
This discussion has been closed.