Anyone on a 1000 calorie diet? need lots of support!!

Options

Replies

• LORELLI
    LORELLI Posts: 24
    Options
    If you're new to dieting and nutrition what I'm saying may sound funny, but it's true. Cutting your calories drastically won't make you lose weight the quickest (and certainly not the healthiest way possible). I lose weight faster at 1400-1500 calories a day than at 1200 a day. You have to feed and take care of your body to get the results you want.

I am the same! I tried the 1200 calories a day and was burning 800-1000 calories a day and all it did was burn me out! I now do the 1400-1500 calories a day and eat most of my exercise points and lose the same amount of weight. And I know I'll keep it off because that's something I can stick to whereas 1200 or 1000 is not a lifechange, it's a quickfix. Good luck to you!
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the comments here. So, you wanna do a 1000 calorie diet? I support that... for 3 days. It's not good for you but it might help you realize that dieting WITH the proper amount of calories for weight loss is not diet at all; in fact, it can be pretty easy when you know you can eat food and still lose weight. Think about it. People here are eating food and losing weight. It's true. So, go ahead and live on 1000 calories for a few days and realize you will lose more muscle than fat. Scales do not tell the whole truth. You could lose weight fast by cutting off your arm too. But who really wants to give up their arm or their hard-earned muscle just to see a lower number on the scale? No one having success with MFP, that's for sure.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea.

Don't do it.

You'll lose but what will you be losing??

No way it's a healthy life style change.

Hope you decide against it.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    OP, I shouldn't even reply because I don't support this at all, but because it's the forum and answering things that we should ignore is the "way of the world," here's my unsolicited advice:

I have lost 20lbs half assing it. The ONLY thing I really do is try to exercise in and stay under most of the time. I am over my limit of 1700 minimum eaten calories a day pretty frequently. I eat boxes of Girl Scout cookies, Cracker Barrel feasts, and all other types of random bull****.

I am NOT advocating you adopt my lifestyle or approach to weight management. Many of my pals are horrified to see what I've eaten during the day. I am mostly interested in how I feel, and I feel tons better with the changes I did make including adding heavy lifting to my routine.

There are people here who lose weight rapidly eating PLENTY of calories through delicious and nutritious meals. Please at least try it that way first before you set yourself up with the 1K Plan.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Why the snotty comments from people?

Because talking about VLCDs is against the rules here at MFP.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Who's up for a 1000 calorie dinner with me? :drinker:

I did my long run today... I NEED those calories!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    lol 1000 calories = way to little. = body goes into starvation mode and trys to save everything = moody angry body and mind not working properly = eventually leads to bingeing because self starvation isnt healthy

rapid results = body not being able to cope and adjust fast enough = flappy skin = flappy skin means looks you have wings under your arms.= you could try flying like a squirrel....

a bit drastic but all true... minus the squirrel part
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    No thanks, I really like food! I usually eat around 1800 a day or more.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Rapid weight loss may be. A lot of it will be muscle though, and there will come a point no doubt where your weight loss will stall and you will wonder why you're not losing weight when you are on such low calories.

Downsides of extreme dieting and losing lots of muscle:
    - A slower metabolism. You will need less calories to maintain your weight, which means less calories to gain = you are more likely to regain it all when you go back to "normal", which you will at some point because few people can stick to 1000 a day for the rest of their life.
    - You create a "skinny fat" look which may look great in clothes but without clothes, or in a bikini / underwear, you have zero muscle tone and a higher body fat percentage than would be expected as the weight you would be.
    -Lack of nutrients. It's very hard to get all the vitamins and minerals you need when on such a low calorie diet.

There is no need to eat that low (unless advised by a doctor) You didn't gain weight overnight, it isn't going to come off that quickly either. Be patient, slow and steady works wonders, and gets the best results. It takes time and dedication but it is more than worth it! I am on 2000 net calories a day, so 2000-2600 total depending on workouts. I am losing between 0.5lbs and 1lb a week with this and the best part is I'm losing inches too!
  • taylordnmn
    taylordnmn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    To those folks who chose to give snarky advice, remember that this is a forum for mutual support, good information, and SUPPORT. Use the knowledge you have and the knowledge you've gained to help, rather than chide someone who, by the very nature of her question, will benefit from it.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Why not just stop eating altogether for even faster results?
  • FitLink
    Options

I got 1000+ calories left for today! I'm IN!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I had a 1000 calorie breakfast this morning. Does that count?
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    1k cal diets, you'll need a hell of a lot of support. None of which you should be soliciting.

Please understand there is NO such thing as rapid results. It's just water.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Why not just stop eating altogether for even faster results?

^^this
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Do you want fast results? Or do you want long term sustainable weight loss?

I'm guessing you don't want this to only last for a minute or two, so I would highly suggest eating more than 1000 calories a day. Do some research - find out your BMR and your TDEE. Deduct your deficit from your TDEE. Workout, eat better, drink more water... it isn't going to come off overnight, but the slower it comes off -- the longer it's been proven to STAY off (which is what you want, right?).
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

I'm up for that!! :drinker:
  • FitLink
    Options
    To those folks who chose to give snarky advice, remember that this is a forum for mutual support, good information, and SUPPORT. Use the knowledge you have and the knowledge you've gained to help, rather than chide someone who, by the very nature of her question, will benefit from it.

Threads get shut down every day for just talking about stuff no more harmful than this. BTW, I agree with you. But she isn't asking for support in getting healthy. She is specifically asking for support with a VLCD, and we've been told that is not acceptable here. Even when people are specifically attempting to discourage the unhealthy diet, they are not allowed to do so. Out of sight, out of mind, you know.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You will find a few that might join you but I cant do that for all the reasons of the above posters. My lifestyle changes started with a visit to my physician and he referred me to a nutritionist who I have seen every month since October 2011. She set my daily calorie goal at 1500 and then after 3 months she changed it to 1300. She said under no circumstance would she ever put me under 1200 calories a day. So my general opinion is if you are under dr orders for 1000 calories that is one thing. But if you havent seen a physician or nutritionist, I would go the route all these good people are telling you to follow.

I notice you have 41 pounds to lose. So take your time and do it the right way. This site is not about a diet but lifestyle changes that we can all make and live with for the rest of our lives. I'm down 60 pounds in 20 weeks but still have 85 more to go. I would love to be rid of that by swimsuit season, but it's not going to happen this year. BUT I will weigh a whole lot less than last year and didnt starve myself to get that way.

Go read some of the success stories where people tell how they have reached their goals. Check out diaries of people that are following the lifestyle changes and see how they are eating. Mine is open to the public but I'm not saying mine is perfect either. But I do strive to stay within 1200-1300 calories a day and it's working for me.

Believe me, I have done all the fad stuff, even a liquid diet where I was drinking only 330 calories a day. Lost the weight pretty quickly. Also ended up in the hospital with irregular heartbeats and other problems. It wrecked havoc on my body and my metabolism. No one bothered to tell me that once I started eating again, I would gain 2 pounds a day. So like someone else said, I gained it all back and a heckuva lot more. So no more tricks or fads for this gal. I'm doing it the healthy way!

I feel like a lot of people are trying to give helpful suggestions rather than throw the OP under the bus. Yes there are a few snarky remarks, but there always are on most any post. You ignore that stuff and concentrate on the people who are trying to help. So from my own experience and my knowledge I have gained throughout my journey so far, I would ask that you might reconsider your initial thought of doing 1000 calories per day. But in the end, it's your decision to make but would ask that you educate yourself as much as possible and then make an informed decision.
This discussion has been closed.