Anyone on a 1000 calorie diet? need lots of support!!

Options

Replies

• dnnmccloud
    dnnmccloud Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'd definately suggest eating more than that...it's never healthy to try to loose weight quickly.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    What they said.

Getting rapid results will cheer you up at first. After that, the reality of calorie restriction, lack of energy, never eating anything you want, and constantly thinking about food will set in. The weight will drop slower and slower, the lifestyle will seem more and more unhappy, and 90% of the time you'll give up and say "I can't lose weight!" and go eat a box of chocolates. Then the weight you lost will come back ... with friends.

Try making a lifestyle change -- one that you CAN sustain long-term. 'Cause 1000 calories isn't it, for almost every person. Slow and steady may be boring, but it DOES win the race.

(P.S. People, in most cases, aren't posting to be mean. They're posting because this is a bad idea, and many people here have already tried and failed to lose weight the way you're talking about.)
  • NanniesKitchen
    Options
    That's too low my darling.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Rapid weight loss may be. A lot of it will be muscle though, and there will come a point no doubt where your weight loss will stall and you will wonder why you're not losing weight when you are on such low calories.

Downsides of extreme dieting and losing lots of muscle:
    - A slower metabolism. You will need less calories to maintain your weight, which means less calories to gain = you are more likely to regain it all when you go back to "normal", which you will at some point because few people can stick to 1000 a day for the rest of their life.
    - You create a "skinny fat" look which may look great in clothes but without clothes, or in a bikini / underwear, you have zero muscle tone and a higher body fat percentage than would be expected as the weight you would be.
    -Lack of nutrients. It's very hard to get all the vitamins and minerals you need when on such a low calorie diet.

There is no need to eat that low (unless advised by a doctor) You didn't gain weight overnight, it isn't going to come off that quickly either. Be patient, slow and steady works wonders, and gets the best results. It takes time and dedication but it is more than worth it! I am on 2000 net calories a day, so 2000-2600 total depending on workouts. I am losing between 0.5lbs and 1lb a week with this and the best part is I'm losing inches too!

I am on 1935 calories net and losing 1 pound per week.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    This is my first time doing diet seriously, and i'm going to try a 1000 calorie diet for rapid results, do you want to join me? :smile:

I am since this is what my doctor ordered. Let me warn you that you will get TONs of negative feedback. Like I said, I am doctor ordered and still my friends commented even when I asked for support not criticism. I closed my diary. All I can say is speak to a doctor and close your diary. I have been here for over 175 days. Please keep in mind that everyone here has an opinion. You only want your doctors. I cannot stress this enough. I didn't look at your age, but when I was young, when I exercised the weight came off quite easily. Feel free to add me for support.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Who's up for a 1000 calorie dinner with me? :drinker:

ME! ME! ME!
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    No, honey..I.don't think anyone will want to join in that. I am losing weight and eating! No need to make yourself miserable in the process that is only setting yourself up to fail, sorry.
  • McMommyx3
    McMommyx3 Posts: 19
    Options

I'm in!!
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Read my blog and look at my food diary. I see from your profile you eat fast food. I quit fast food and soda and lost 15 pounds in one month on 1650, then 1580 cals per day. I eat back at least half my exercise cals. My body already looks way better and my clothes are very loose. Friend me if you would like. DO NOT EAT ONLY 1000 CALS PER DAY THERE IS NO POINT.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options

I'm in!!

I did that last Sunday...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    No, honey..I.don't think anyone will want to join in that. I am losing weight and eating! No need to make yourself miserable in the process that is only setting yourself up to fail, sorry.

Agree 100% - nicely put by the way. :)
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're not familiar with dieting, it might be a good idea to spend some time educating yourself before jumping into a weight loss plan.There's some great information in the posts on this site--you might start by looking at the links for newbies at the top of this section.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    Why the snotty comments from people?

Thank you. :flowerforyou: Yes, people can get upset when you do something they dont agree with. Thank God I am under a doctors supervision. I wonder if everyone here is.
  • SailorStarMaker
    Options
    Instead of making this a "diet," why not find a level of food intake you can maintain, preferably for the rest of your life? That way, even though you'll lose weight slower initially, you'll have a bigger chance that you'll keep the weight off in the long run.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    Please raise your hand if your calorie intake is a doctors or MFP? Just wondering....
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Wow, she asked a simple question. Part of the question was asking for support. Maybe we should SUPPORT her and give her information not smart a-- remarks.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    To those folks who chose to give snarky advice, remember that this is a forum for mutual support, good information, and SUPPORT. Use the knowledge you have and the knowledge you've gained to help, rather than chide someone who, by the very nature of her question, will benefit from it.

this^^^
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Truth be told, while I'm older than you, our weight loss goals are about the same. My very first week with MFP I lost 6.5 lbs by eating 1300 calories a day drinking the water and exercising on days I could manage it. (Pretty quick results, aye?) Cutting out the junk and replacing it with meaningful calories and water can do that for you. I have stuck to 1300 calories plus exercise calories and have lost 21 lbs in 55 days.

Be smarter! Your results WILL come if you use your head and not your emotions.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    ermmm well, i dont want to join you. but it will work. you will loose weight, i have never in my life eaten over 1000 calories in a day anyway well i have but not for a very long time (then again i havent needed to loosse weight ever - but have been very unwell), but it wont really help if you dont adjust it and again it depends how heavy you are and many things. if youre going to do it, just make sure you arent under consuming vitamin or minerals and dont become obssesive....
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    OMG! All the negativity of people that posted. I have been on a 1,000 calorie diet since last May. I know my body and I'm doing JUST FINE! I have lost 60 pounds. And yes, I have tried the 1,200 cal diet, and it didn't work for me. So...YIPPY to a 1,000 calorie diet!! Only YOU know your body and how to control it..!!
This discussion has been closed.