Does anyone get a little offended?

Options

Replies

• Mibs131
    Mibs131 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's not the occasional clank. I just hate when it's a 'show off' kind of thing. If it really bothers someone that your gym has serious benchers then there are more 'casual user' friendly gyms. I work out at Planet Fitness. There aren't hardcore folks there, so the average, out of shape person like me doesn't feel intimidated. A place for everyone. Do what you gotta do. You're okay. (^__^)
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    "Hardcore" people at the gym don't intimidate me....they motivate me! The gym I go to has all different kinds of people....the beginner (me), casual exerciser, the older crowd, a young crowd, and a very FIT athletic crowd that looks damn good and yes sometimes make noises, drop weights, go crazy on the treadmill, and go warp speed on the elliptical. I admire those people and glad they are in my gym because that just means someone there is getting RESULTS. I am hopeful that I can be one of those people someday. And all of them are pretty darn nice too....try talking to them, they may surprise you! :smile: I was told by a weightliftin', gruntin' maniac that she admired ME for taking the first step in getting fit and not being scared to just jump in. Now that made me feel good.

Guess I wouldn't like it at a gym that encourages mediocrity and discourages excelling. To each their own I guess! :flowerforyou:
  • ssforcey
    ssforcey Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I grunt doing squats and crunches. My daughter says it grosses her out, so I do it louder. Bwaaahahaha...I love being evil mom. I also often do a bootie wiggle to add to the grossness of mom dancing to Footloose in the living room.

I love this...I can totally appreciate a mom that likes to gross out her daughter! :D
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Haha...this is why I workout at home! Jillian Michaels beats me to the ground and I definitely grunt near the edge of a set- and I'm only lifting 10's- which is plenty painful for me.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, it's understandable....but when a guy does it ALL the time and literally everyone in the gym can hear him, it's a bit ridiculous.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I think those people who post are referring to those who are blatantly excessive in their workouts. I'm sorry but you don't need to talk to your muscles, make noises, and walk out every 5 minutes through different doors (you notice things when you're stuck on a cardio machine for a while) lol. Most people are "normal" whatever normal means. They come workout, I have accidentally dropped a weight on a machine so yeah it was loud, and grunted on my last rep of an exercise, I don't think anyone should be offended by anything someone else does in their workout although we seem to be.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Does anyone get a little offended when people complain about others at the gym they mention the Grunters and Weight droppers.

I'm sure they are talking about those jerks who do it too much, but do they know that we can't move super heavy weight without a little bit of "umph?"

Do they know that there is no quiet way to put down a 300+ pound dead-lift? We don't drop it from the top but its not a pillow either.

Do they know that sometimes we don't perform our Olympic lifts perfectly so we HAVE to drop the weight so we don't hurt ourselves?

Quoted for re reading of first post
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    It's not lifting, but I totally sing quietly to myself at the end of a long run. It helps me bring the focus off my burning legs and back onto my breathing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not belting out opera or anything, usually just a nursery rhyme, but still... it warrants some odd looks when someone is running, sweating, bright red and singing "one little hot dog sitting in the pan...". I'm not hurting anyone though -- so I don't really give a dayum.

Different strokes for different folks, whatever helps you push yourself that much harder is all good in my book.
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I grunt doing squats and crunches. My daughter says it grosses her out, so I do it louder. Bwaaahahaha...I love being evil mom. I also often do a bootie wiggle to add to the grossness of mom dancing to Footloose in the living room.

LOVE!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I don't care about grunting. The only one that ever cracked me up was this one woman who would loudly make orgasm noises when lifting. She had headphones in, so not even sure if she realized it.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Does anyone get a little offended when people complain about others at the gym they mention the Grunters and Weight droppers.

I'm sure they are talking about those jerks who do it too much, but do they know that we can't move super heavy weight without a little bit of "umph?"

Do they know that there is no quiet way to put down a 300+ pound dead-lift? We don't drop it from the top but its not a pillow either.

Do they know that sometimes we don't perform our Olympic lifts perfectly so we HAVE to drop the weight so we don't hurt ourselves?

The grunts I get, no issue there. As for dropping the weight as to not hurt yourself... It sounds like you're over-reaching to me. If you can't do the weight alone, or if a spotter can't reasonably assist you to not have to drop the weight, then it's too much weight.

I'm sure the gym would appreciate you not dropping their gear as well.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Loved this post! Exactly.... we work to our max and so it's not going to be put back in the rack quietly! And when I'm working out hard on my pushups and situps I'm grunting from the fact that air is being expelled rapidly from my lungs and throat and nose because I'm working hard! The people that don't aren't working hard enough!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I'm also a treadmill singer/ mouther (mouthing with occasional grunts if going all out!)
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I hear people complain about the "sounds" of the gym. It's a freakin gym! If you don't like it go to the "other gym" or stay home. I don't lift heavy enough yet to grunt (just starting out -again), but that's my goal.

The only time I've every been annoyed, is there is this older gentleman that grunts with every rep. Not your normal grunt, but a high pitched, loud enough I can hear it in spin class - over the music and instructor!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I just find it silly that people are bothered by this. It's a dang gym people!
    Heavy weights are lifted and people makes noises doing so. Heavy weights make noises when they hit the ground. If you are offended by it, then you are obviously in the wrong place.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

The grunts I get, no issue there. As for dropping the weight as to not hurt yourself... It sounds like you're over-reaching to me. If you can't do the weight alone, or if a spotter can't reasonably assist you to not have to drop the weight, then it's too much weight.

So what are you supposed to do with a Snatch or Clean and Jerk then?

11t96a9.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to hear grunting or slamming weights then go to PLANET FITNESS. They have a "lunk" alarm that sounds when that happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6OrO1f610

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL73k0uttps&feature=related

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I go to PF, and have very rarely heard the lunk alarm. Maybe five times in over a year?

But when I did, it was a lot more annoying and disruptive than if someone had grunted. :laugh:
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

You don't spot deadlifts, overhead presses, snatches, or cleans, because you can just drop the weight if you to past failure....and spotting someone squatting correctly is quite intrusive and the person better buy you dinner first.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    As far as dumping the weights on the ground, if you can't lift without dropping it don't! You are supposed to be building muscle not just another show of He-Manitis This isn't a weight lifting competition or the or a training camp for the Olympics where they have to lift ungodly amounts of weight for two seconds (Unless of course you ARE training for the oplympics then you get a pass). Nothing is more irritating than both of them together ARHHHHGGGG, UUURRGGGGHHHH, UMMMFF BOOOM!! We get it already Arnie or Lou or Mr Atlas or whoever you are trying to be.

It's just more macho gone awry.

Just my opinion

Since I lift heavy and don't have a workout partner, I try to lift as safely as possible. I use dumbbells on a lot of lifts, i.e. all bench presses (flat, incline and decline) and shoulder presses. This gives me a way of safely getting out of the way of the weights if something goes wrong. However, after a good lift of bench with heavy *kitten* dumbbells, I promise you, as much as you may try, they are not going to the ground gently.