Does anyone get a little offended?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Um, something I've always wondered about is farting as you lift. Is that considered "dreadful manners in public," or an inevitable side effect of fully comminted physical effort?
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    or when you're trying to get that 100lb snatch, you gotta tell that snatch who's boss!

Now thats funny!!!:laugh:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The grunts I get, no issue there. As for dropping the weight as to not hurt yourself... It sounds like you're over-reaching to me. If you can't do the weight alone, or if a spotter can't reasonably assist you to not have to drop the weight, then it's too much weight.

I'm sure the gym would appreciate you not dropping their gear as well.

no. real gyms have bumper plates and platforms, specifically designed to handle dropping weights, which is a perfectly valid thing to do for some lifts.

now just because it's valid to do for some lifts, doesn't mean that it should be done gratuitously for all lifts; some idiots do that, and that's probably where the bad rep of dropping weights comes from.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Does anyone get a little offended when people complain about others at the gym they mention the Grunters and Weight droppers.

I'm sure they are talking about those jerks who do it too much, but do they know that we can't move super heavy weight without a little bit of "umph?"

Do they know that there is no quiet way to put down a 300+ pound dead-lift? We don't drop it from the top but its not a pillow either.

Do they know that sometimes we don't perform our Olympic lifts perfectly so we HAVE to drop the weight so we don't hurt ourselves?

The grunts I get, no issue there. As for dropping the weight as to not hurt yourself... It sounds like you're over-reaching to me. If you can't do the weight alone, or if a spotter can't reasonably assist you to not have to drop the weight, then it's too much weight.

I would love to see someone spot my 455 pound dead-lift. That is like asking for a spot on curls in the squat rack, you just don't.

Look at my picture, tell me how are you going to spot 315 pounds? You going to curl it off my back? Nope, I'm going to drop it and run as fast as I can away from it. I've done it before, and if i rail a 1rm I'll gladly do it again.

Over reaching? people mess up a 45 pound snatch and have to drop it (safely). You sir should try watching the Olympics once in your life, those guys are dropping 300 pounds from above their heads, deal with it.

Just because we aren't Olympic candidates or professional power lifters, doesn't mean our bodies won't benefit from these lifts. They are some of the most fun, and beneficial lifts to perform, if you don't know what they are then you are only a novice and should go read a book.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Does anyone get a little offended when people complain about others at the gym they mention the Grunters and Weight droppers.

I'm sure they are talking about those jerks who do it too much, but do they know that we can't move super heavy weight without a little bit of "umph?"

Do they know that there is no quiet way to put down a 300+ pound dead-lift? We don't drop it from the top but its not a pillow either.

Do they know that sometimes we don't perform our Olympic lifts perfectly so we HAVE to drop the weight so we don't hurt ourselves?

I would love to see someone spot my 455 pound dead-lift. That is like asking for a spot on curls in the squat rack, you just don't.

Look at my picture, tell me how are you going to spot 315 pounds? You going to curl it off my back? Nope, I'm going to drop it and run as fast as I can away from it. I've done it before, and if i rail a 1rm I'll gladly do it again.

Over reaching? people mess up a 45 pound snatch and have to drop it (safely). You sir should try watching the Olympics once in your life, those guys are dropping 300 pounds from above their heads, deal with it.

Just because we aren't Olympic candidates or professional power lifters, doesn't mean our bodies won't benefit from these lifts. They are some of the most fun, and beneficial lifts to perform, if you don't know what they are then you are only a novice and should go read a book.

/claps. :) My sentiments exactly.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Um, something I've always wondered about is farting as you lift. Is that considered "dreadful manners in public," or an inevitable side effect of fully comminted physical effort?

Is it considered an inevitable side effect of labor? Yup. So yeah, I'd call it safe. :laugh:
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    People do need to get over our primal human nature. It is an extremely large reason that our C-section rate is so high and there's so much fear around child birth. Anyone who has had a child naturally and lifted heavy can attest that there's a point when it feels the same, just in child birth that fe3elng of almost separating from oneself lasts longer... lol. I hadn't expected that response and who knows maybe I'm the only one who made that physiological/emotional response.

No, it is very very similar, I really enjoyed birthing my babies naturally, maybe because I was a past lifter it came to me like this. I totally get what your saying.

Woot! I'm not crazy! My last one was under the influence of both pitocina and cytotek. Had him in 1hr and 45 min w/out painkillers, was really mad when I found out that cytotek can cause contractions hard enough to crush the baby! Those were crazy intense! Weights are nothing like that, thankfully, but when it gets really heavy I kind of feel like I'm going to fly apart.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I do. My bf and I were just having the conversation last night after seeing a Planet Fitness commercial basically making fun of body builders.

Neither of us are body builders and competitive weight lifters, but we both lift heavy and work hard on our bodies. When I'm getting through that last set, you bet your *kitten* I'm gonna make a little noise because I can't help it! And sometimes, I gotta drop my weight when I'm done. It's just the way it goes when you're doing REAL weight lifting. Even my mom has said a million times, if you're lifting weights silently, you're doing it wrong.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I only get annoyed when it's at a gym that has posters on each wall saying "PLEASE DO NOT DROP THE WEIGHTS". Then it's annoying as *kitten* and just plain rude. This type of gym usually shares space with other businesses that do not appreciate "KA-BANG!!!" all day long. If you can't play by their rules, find another gym. If the gym allows it then go right ahead. When I train at these gyms I simply lower the amount I'm lifting and do more reps.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last 4 or 5 here! Go heavy or Go HOME! but then again I lift at home so where am I gunna go? lol

Also glad I lift a home because farts happen, along with other unpleasant/embarrasing side effects.

I actually fell at the bottom of a squat (only 120, but still) my spouse was like maybe you should lift when I can spot you and since I squat asian style I asked "What exactly would you be able to do?"

He is however talking about selling our bench and moving to a power rack as he's' heading toward 300, and it just isn't safe.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I only get annoyed when it's at a gym that has posters on each wall saying "PLEASE DO NOT DROP THE WEIGHTS". Then it's annoying as *kitten* and just plain rude. This type of gym usually shares space with other businesses that do not appreciate "KA-BANG!!!" all day long. If you can't play by their rules, find another gym. If the gym allows it then go right ahead. When I train at these gyms I simply lower the amount I'm lifting and do more reps.

Just to let you know, almost all gyms have these posters. However, "dropping" in these terms tends to be subjective. Even the gym I go to now which has a powerlifting team has a sign like that. However, I will guarantee you nobody is gently lowering their 500+ lb. deadlifts.
  • chickenmcv
    Options

Just to let you know, almost all gyms have these posters. However, "dropping" in these terms tends to be subjective. Even the gym I go to now which has a powerlifting team has a sign like that. However, I will guarantee you nobody is gently lowering their 500+ lb. deadlifts.

I have never ever not one time dropped my 500 pound deadlift from the top. I take it back down to the ground because I am not in a powerlifting gym. Don't assume or guarantee. It doesn't work. Grunting is fine, dropping weights is ****ing awful. Especially these dudes dropping 80 pound dumbbells after bench pressing. They drop and bounce and when it's crowded, that's a really dangerous habit. I've never had to drop my dumbbells ever. It's called not using weight you can't control. I set them down or I sit back up. That's it.
  • chickenmcv
    Options

Is it considered an inevitable side effect of labor? Yup. So yeah, I'd call it safe. :laugh:

There's nothing funnier than busting *kitten* at the gym. Especially when it's crowded.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

I have never ever not one time dropped my 500 pound deadlift from the top. I take it back down to the ground because I am not in a powerlifting gym. Don't assume or guarantee. It doesn't work. Grunting is fine, dropping weights is ****ing awful. Especially these dudes dropping 80 pound dumbbells after bench pressing. They drop and bounce and when it's crowded, that's a really dangerous habit. I've never had to drop my dumbbells ever. It's called not using weight you can't control. I set them down or I sit back up. That's it.

I don't mean just letting go from atop. Even when you're on a 'controlled' descent of a lift like that, it isn't a feather. It's going to make some noise. That's the kind of thing I, and I believe others, are talking about. That's what makes no sense that people get so up in arms about. Something that is beyond ones control.
  • chickenmcv
    Options

I don't mean just letting go from atop. Even when you're on a 'controlled' descent of a lift like that, it isn't a feather. It's going to make some noise. That's the kind of thing I, and I believe others, are talking about. That's what makes no sense that people get so up in arms about. Something that is beyond ones control.

Ahhh, okay, then maybe I have misunderstood the tone of this thread. I agree then, there's nothing wrong with a thunk when you hit the bottom, because like you said, these things definitely aren't feathers, But when people are dropping weights and the entire gym rattles, there's no reason for that. If you've got huge rubber mats and this is the culture in your gym, cool deal, but somewhere like 24 hour fitness, no deal. Control your weights.

Also, this lunk alarm sounds insane. I've never heard of it until this thread. I would be so pissed off. Absolutely nothing wrong grunting while lifting.

YOU WITH ME BRAH? *high five*
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    There was a guy at the gym yesterday doing some serious grunting, and it was just the two of us in there. It was a little weird. I guess he was starting off heavy (I only saw his last few sets) and moving down a size of dumbbells after every set. I noticed him doing the 8, then 5, then 3 lb dumbbells and he was making so much noise and these crazy faces. i understand it if you're actually in some kind of physical strain, but this guy has arms the size of my thigh and he was acting like a 5 pound dumbbell was going to kill him. I just didn't understand it.

Dropping weights, I don't care about. I make a lot of noise sometimes putting the leg press weights down on my last rep of the set, so noise isn't a problem. As long as you're watching out for everyone's toes, drop your weights if you want to.