Why you wouldn't mix cardio and strenght training

Options

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Ok, so here's my dilemma:

I am a spinning instructor, and I teach 3 days a week (Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday). I also am a runner, and will be starting training for the full marathon in June (race is late Sept). I lift 3 days a week. I need at least one full rest day a week, as well as one long run a week. I have been lifting on the days I spin or run. I wouldn't mind trying to separate my lifting and cardio days, but there are only so many days in a week, lol. I guess it's a matter of what I want to accomplish. I want to maintain my muscle and burn fat... I would like to get stronger and build muscle, too, but I realize w/ this much cardio it's basically serving two masters. Here's what I typically do right now (I take my rest day either Tuesday or Thursday).

Sunday: Lift & Spin
    Monday: Spin
    Tuesday: Run
    Wednesday: Lift & Spin
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Lift & Run
    Saturday: Long run

I'm totally working at cross-purposes, and I realize that... but is there any reason I can't continue doing what I'm doing? I am hoping to lose around10lbs of fat. I have no idea what my bf% is!

I'm a spin instructor too, and I am only spinning days opposite to my lifting. However over the past 2 weeks I am exhausted.

I tore the MCL about 9 weeks ago and that is really what started me lifting bc I couldn't do anything but spin for several weeks, and even I don't want to spin every day.

I am new to heavy lifting (5 weeks) and have drastically changed my weekly routine from 8 hours dance + 2 hours spin + 3 hours road cycling + 3 hours paddleboarding, to 3 days lift, 2 days spin and 1 day paddleboarding. BUT I AM EXHAUSTED. What gives?
  • jenncaroon
    Options
    bump for future reference. Thank you!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    blah blah blah

do what works for YOU. the end.

does that mean I don't have the right to explain ?
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump to read when I have more time....heading to the gym to get in a lift (with no cardio)....wonder how I will feel about that after I read this. Hmmmm.....
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bumping for later :smile:
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    bump
  • champagne1
    champagne1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    It seems you're already near your minimum body fat that you can stand to be at. My opinion is that you need to eat more, and that your caloric deficit is too much, therefore your body is using your muscles for fuel, since there is nothing else left to use. I would bet if you ate enough calories to stay the same weight, and exercised with the same intensity, the result would be more pleasing.

This may take some trial and error. Add something like 250 calories/day for a week or 2, and then see how it's going. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

It took me about a month to figure out what I had to eat to lose 1 lb/week. At first no weight loss, then too much. Now I've got it.

I also found that eating the same amount every day is more beneficial for me personally.

If you haven't seen it, check out Scooby's Workshop. There is a ton of information about building muscle, losing fat, and how to do both and the same time.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    It seems you're already near your minimum body fat that you can stand to be at. My opinion is that you need to eat more, and that your caloric deficit is too much, therefore your body is using your muscles for fuel, since there is nothing else left to use. I would bet if you ate enough calories to stay the same weight, and exercised with the same intensity, the result would be more pleasing.

This may take some trial and error. Add something like 250 calories/day for a week or 2, and then see how it's going. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

It took me about a month to figure out what I had to eat to lose 1 lb/week. At first no weight loss, then too much. Now I've got it.

I also found that eating the same amount every day is more beneficial for me personally.

If you haven't seen it, check out Scooby's Workshop. There is a ton of information about building muscle, losing fat, and how to do both and the same time.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

were you replying to me? If so, I think I'm not eating at a deficit at all . . . let me know if that was for me or someone else, thanks!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    blah blah blah

do what works for YOU. the end.

does that mean I don't have the right to explain ?

Hahahahaha. Apparently, not everyone appreciates your brilliance, Razique.

What do they say now? Haters to the left. Yeah, that's it. Or, someone's just "jelly."
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Been mixing both up in my workouts for 3 years and works for me.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Wew...finally made it through this entire post. The whole science aspect confuses me but I do know that for the past 6 weeks I have done New Rules for Women and I would not be able to do a cardio after my lift even if I wanted to!

I remember reading in the book (before I started the program) where he said something around the point of if you feel like doing a 30-40 cardio afterwards then you were not lifting heavy enough. At the time I thought, "that's crazy". I have been lifting for the past few years and always feel like and do, do a cardio afterwards.

I quickly learned what he was saying was right. If I lifted heavy enough, (which obviously the past years I was NOT) I was going to exhaust myself and not feel like doing the cardio. I actually really liked that -it cut down the amount of time I had to find for my workouts. Like someone else mentioned after my lifts it is tough to just make it to my car sometimes!

Now Cardios on rest days from lifting I think is good but up until this week my legs needed all the rest they could get between lifts.

Thanks for this post!!!
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    sleepytexan:
    no, it was for the original poster.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm a spin instructor too, and I am only spinning days opposite to my lifting. However over the past 2 weeks I am exhausted.

I tore the MCL about 9 weeks ago and that is really what started me lifting bc I couldn't do anything but spin for several weeks, and even I don't want to spin every day.

I am new to heavy lifting (5 weeks) and have drastically changed my weekly routine from 8 hours dance + 2 hours spin + 3 hours road cycling + 3 hours paddleboarding, to 3 days lift, 2 days spin and 1 day paddleboarding. BUT I AM EXHAUSTED. What gives?

So I notice you logging 1 cal workouts, which tells me you are doing an eating level that incorporates exercise so you don't eat it back specifically.

Did you select that activity level honestly.

Have you done a weekly spot check to confirm known exercise calories subtracted from eating level really ends up above your BMR on avg?

And then rest or recovery days. If not 2 true rest days with that schedule, do you make some of the days easier to recover?
  • sleepytexan
    Options

So I notice you logging 1 cal workouts, which tells me you are doing an eating level that incorporates exercise so you don't eat it back specifically.

Did you select that activity level honestly.

Have you done a weekly spot check to confirm known exercise calories subtracted from eating level really ends up above your BMR on avg?

And then rest or recovery days. If not 2 true rest days with that schedule, do you make some of the days easier to recover?

Hi, yes I just recently started eating at TDEE 5 weeks ago when I started heavy lifting.

Yes, I selected that level honestly.

Yes, I know for certain that my eating level minus exercise is still above BMR. My BMR is 1317, and my TDEE is 2277. Spin burns about 550 calories, lifting burns about 250, paddleboarding burns about 250. Overall I am eating at a calorie surplus.

I have only been having one true recovery day, but I did take today off from paddleboarding, so this week 2 days.

So what do you think?
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Ok, so here's my dilemma:

I am a spinning instructor, and I teach 3 days a week (Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday). I also am a runner, and will be starting training for the full marathon in June (race is late Sept). I lift 3 days a week. I need at least one full rest day a week, as well as one long run a week. I have been lifting on the days I spin or run. I wouldn't mind trying to separate my lifting and cardio days, but there are only so many days in a week, lol. I guess it's a matter of what I want to accomplish. I want to maintain my muscle and burn fat... I would like to get stronger and build muscle, too, but I realize w/ this much cardio it's basically serving two masters. Here's what I typically do right now (I take my rest day either Tuesday or Thursday).

Sunday: Lift & Spin
    Monday: Spin
    Tuesday: Run
    Wednesday: Lift & Spin
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Lift & Run
    Saturday: Long run

I'm totally working at cross-purposes, and I realize that... but is there any reason I can't continue doing what I'm doing? I am hoping to lose around10lbs of fat. I have no idea what my bf% is!

I didn't read through the whole thread but just wanted to chime in as I'm currently in training for my 5th marathon AND lifting to try to trim my BF%. Your schedule will probably work fine for the most part. However, as your marathon training mileage ramps up you will likely need/want to modify that schedule a bit. I usually lift 2x a week but closer to marathon day (say 7-8 weeks out) I tend to drop down to 1x a week.

What sticks out to me is that you plan to lift the day before and the day after a long run. Again, probably not an issue when the "long" run is 10-13 or so miles but that's pretty intense before & after say a 20 miler. I do spin as my cross-training of choice (and I realize you are teaching it so you have to do it 3x a week) but I had been doing it 2x and now am doing it 1-2x (I'm 9 weeks out from marathon day).

I would consider changing your lifting days to maybe Monday/Wednesday and dropping one session. It's really hard to run long on sore legs from lifting. Just my 2¢ worth.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi, yes I just recently started eating at TDEE 5 weeks ago when I started heavy lifting.

Yes, I selected that level honestly.

Yes, I know for certain that my eating level minus exercise is still above BMR. My BMR is 1317, and my TDEE is 2277. Spin burns about 550 calories, lifting burns about 250, paddleboarding burns about 250. Overall I am eating at a calorie surplus.

I have only been having one true recovery day, but I did take today off from paddleboarding, so this week 2 days.

So what do you think?

I found it too easy to make Spin class too intense. Then I'd follow the next day with decent job not really at the recovery level, then weights, then long road ride again too intense, then jog which at this point was at recovery level, but since that was about all I had left, couldn't do more anyway.

I was burning through muscle too fast. That Spin class burning 900-1000 at lactate threshold level just meant I depleted some major glucose stores. Diet wasn't getting that restored by next day, which drug it down further, by Sat bike ride, I depleted muscle glucose stores too and delved into muscle. Hard to make up 1600 calories burned at probably 80% carb usage.

Hard to "train" at a level on a deficit. At least you aren't at deficit.

So now I really follow the Spin class goal, really allowing dropping back to recover zone in-between high efforts.
    The jog the next day is totally in the recovery zone.
    Rest day before the big fun outdoor bike ride I just love doing, and love doing hard. So the rest day allows topping off again. And I eat all week at proper level as you do to feed the workouts.

So even when feeding the week properly, the intensity of the efforts almost back to back was too much. Lack of sleep was probably a real bad influence too and of course never helps the situation.

So good to know you are feeding well.

I'd see if another day in there can be done at a recovery level zone. Teach the body fat burning better perhaps.

But really, program looks pretty good. I guess if the lifting days are really that good, the spin the day after should be difficult, unless you didn't focus on the legs.

Don't tell me you planned that out well too?!
    Let me guess how smart you are being here.
    Spin, Lift upper body, spin, lift lower, paddle, lift legs, rest day.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I suppose I will let my intensity drop during spin then (just don't tell my members, ha!).

As an instructor, I'm all about the watts and usually average about 230 for 45 minutes, however on Thursday I was dying and only averaged 206. I suppose I can let it drop under 200 (aack!). Actually I suppose I will HAVE to let it drop under 200 or I'll be the one dropping on the floor, ha.

I guess that's it, then, need to let the cardio intensity down as the weights are going up.

I'm not even back on the road or dancing yet -- I'd say my MCL is about 90% healed . . .
  • osorio1
    osorio1 Posts: 63
    Options
    Bump