Why you wouldn't mix cardio and strenght training

Options
123457»

Replies

• CaroSeraMince
    Options
    I read this whole thread and it had a lot of really useful information. But I just have a quick comment for Razique-- I checked out your profile and I see that you're in France. I studied French for years and there is NO WAY I could write such a detailed, scientific post in French the way you did in English. You are AMAZING. That's all. :)
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Razi's post is about mass building, you're talking about weight loss. I will email you one of my blog post. I created this very nice fat loss plan. My goal is to get very low bodyfat. I did a lot of research on it from top authorities, and top bodybuilders, I put a plan together after my research. It preserves muscle mass, and very effective at fat burning.

I would be interested in seeing your plan as well. I have my own (which from your earlier posts is similar to yours), but the food part of it I haven't been very regimented on. I dropped 40lbs in 3mos, doing nothing more than full body strength training 3x a week for 30-45 minutes. My diet only changed moderately...but if I can get super results (I was injured and gained some back due to forced inactivity) by changing that to some extent as well...I'd be happy to look into it further.

I would be supper interested in seeing that plan and researching more if. That might be possible. I am just adding streanght training to my plan.
  • jschway
    jschway Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've dissected muscle fibers under a microscope yet I never considered how my workout was affecting my own muscles in such a detailed way. I can definitely feel that when I go hard I don't have it in me to switch from weights to cardio or vice versa, and I suppose as I get more fit I'll need to pick which avenue I want to excel at so I can keep making great strides towards success. Thank you so much for your post. It's definitely something I'll be more mindful of moving forward. :)
  • jrmav
    jrmav Posts: 15
    Options
    For a 209 lb man, 1500 calories is waaaaay to0 low to start with. Yes you will lose initially but what are you going to do when the weight stops coming off? Which it will stop at some point. I would start out as high calories as you can without gaining and slowly drop them from there. I'm 235 lbs and have about 40 lbs to lose so what I am going to do is start at around 3,200 calories and every 3 weeks or so (or when I stop losing) drop about 200 calories and progressively increase my cardio as I continue on. I have done this many times and it works for me but then again everyone is different. I do the old school cut and bulk but this last time it got out of control and I packed on 40 lbs, I was on a 3 and half year bulk, haha...
  • jrmav
    jrmav Posts: 15
    Options
    Razz / Pu_239 (or any other insightful help)

I am 209 with about 20# I would like to lose. However, I am also committed to gaining a more refined muscular shape. Currently, I mix about 30 minutes cardio (running / elliptical) with about 30 min of strength training targeting different muscle groups 3-4 times weekly or every other day. . MFP has me on a 1500 calorie intake for the weight loss, which I have committed to. I eat focused on calorie but with foods that produce growth and muscle repair also.
    As far as your comments are concerned, should I lower my cardio once I hit my weight goal and focus more on strength training if I want the results I am after? Would splitting up my cardio / strength days have the same effect that I am seeing now as far as weight loss?
    My main question in the above is I want the weight loss without losing to much muscle mass. Is my cardio defeating my strength training on a 1500 calorie intake?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Ooops, I'm new here, I was replying to this post.....
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Montanarush
    Options
    okay, I'm 57 yrs old and I'm over 100lbs overweight. I've been riding the recumbent bike 60 minutes a day 5 or 6 days a week, and I do nautilus or free weights 6days a week. I lost 16 lbs in the first month and my strength has almost doubled. I don't feel overly tired, mostly because I'm disabled and don't work so its the only real exercise that I get. My muscles are getting harder, probably because I drink protein mix within thirty minutes after a workout every day, and take vitamins minerals and amino acids. What I'm asking is ... is it possible that what you are saying doesnt apply to everybody?
  • Montanarush
    Options
    I do my cardio first and then lift after, usually for 45 or 60 minutes. The cardio gets my blood pumping and gets me warmed up good. It seems to work for me.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    okay, I'm 57 yrs old and I'm over 100lbs overweight. I've been riding the recumbent bike 60 minutes a day 5 or 6 days a week, and I do nautilus or free weights 6days a week. I lost 16 lbs in the first month and my strength has almost doubled. I don't feel overly tired, mostly because I'm disabled and don't work so its the only real exercise that I get. My muscles are getting harder, probably because I drink protein mix within thirty minutes after a workout every day, and take vitamins minerals and amino acids. What I'm asking is ... is it possible that what you are saying doesnt apply to everybody?

The way the basic human physiology works, yes.

So you are not getting as much from the strength training as you could be getting.
    #1 by following a long cardio.
    #2 by doing it every day.

So you can indeed do it not-best, and still see results. And perhaps you aren't as limited on time as many others, who might desire the most bang for their buck, or get the most available from their limited time.

But you could see better results following the suggestions that were given.
    Now maybe you do different body parts for lifting, so it is not back to back, so that effect perhaps not that bad. But the cardio can still take away some of your opportunity for best improvement from what you are putting in to it.

So it would be like leaving your tires under-inflated, dirty air cleaner, bad spark plugs - but then putting in premium gas.
    Car will run, but not as well as it could.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    When you say *it* works - what do you mean exactly ?
    I'd be interested to have your feedback :-)
    Would there be a link between body fat percentage and fibers usage ? in extenso - muscle synthesis ?
    @ heybales : I appreciate your time for answers :)
    @ duharforståe : I've been able in 8 weeks to gain way more lean masses that I won during 4 months. The strenght training slightly evolved while I cut down on cardio (been from 4 hours of intensive cardio to 4 hours of low-intensity). What kind of reactions made possible the development of lean mass ?
  • mel128
    mel128 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump for later read