When I see overweight people running...

Options

Replies

• MuffyTopps
    Options
    If I see someone overweight running, I think a couple of things:

1. Good for them! That's awesome.
    2. I know it's got to be harder for them than it is for me, so if they can do it, I can do it. When I see people working on goals bigger than mine, I find it inspirational. I should suck it up! If they can get out there and do it, so can I.

I'm not in the overweight category, but I'm sure someone somewhere judges me when I work out anyway. Maybe my form is poor. Maybe they don't think I'm working hard enough. Blah blah blah. But I hope I'm inspiring some people, too.

(Honestly, usually I don't even really notice. But if I think anything, it's the above.)

Wow! I love your answer! You are awesome!
  • MemFox
    MemFox Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Two words- Biggest Loser
    It's all I need to get inspired and get off the couch!

When I'm feeling full of myself- Oh come on you lazy so and so, I knock myself back to earth by attempting to do exactly as they've just done.. I almost always cant do it.. So I silently apologize to the tv screen and thank them for putting themselves out there in all their vunerabilities.

In real life- honestly, yeah it aint always pretty.. But who cares- me first thing in the morning not pretty, me with a stroppy look on my face not pretty, me right now not pretty.. BUt wow- good on em for getting out there!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    And I am down with the idea of ignoring them and working out just for myself, but to be real, this is what is on my mind, soooooooo I'm curious what YOU think (if anything) when you see somone overweight working out/running, and how you feel if you are the one working out/running???

Off to my run, but shall return!!

I started @ 400+ lbs. I mostly listen to music when I go out. In response to what others may think or say to me about it:

309674_2365980781763_1017703521_2856205_587698845_n.jpg
  • lauraemthomson
    lauraemthomson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    do u really care what anyone else thinks? do it for u not anyone else!
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think they are doing a great job getting into shape. My personal opinion as someone who was never able to run is jumping into a running regime is difficult and shows your determination. When I first started my weight loss journey last spring, I couldn't run (jog)1/4 of a mile at 4 mph. I kept going and pushing myself. Before my surgery last month, I could run anywhere between 2-21/2 miles at a pace of 5-5.2 mph. To me, that's a huge difference. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I am getting there.

Don't let people make you nervous. You're the one out there making yourself better. They are just sitting there.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am impressed, and I know how they feel! I was really self conscious when I started running, and to be honest I still am! I'm not sure that feeling will ever go away as I'm quite a reserved person but I also feel proud of myself and you do start to care less what people think after a while. Good luck and go for it!
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Yep i think good for them, well i think that when i see anyone out there working at it. big or small.
    When i start my c25k i have a spot all picked out where no one goes, well very very few. off the beaten path and im just fine with that. i'll make sure i have my phone with me thought incase i wipe out:)
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When I see an overweight person jogging I say to myself wtg! Jogging is hard for me sometimes so I give anyone credit!
    Keep up the good work it's a wonderful way to relieve stress and loss weight. I recently started on the treadmill and am building myself up a mile here, a mile there....I would just put some ear phones in and forget about everyone else(expect cars of course ahha) you are doing a wonderful thing for yourself!
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Such a lot of lovely replies on here :smile:

I have just started C25K, and honestly, it's hard! I feel sorry for anyone that has to see me run, I'm sure it's not pretty, but I'm not going to let that put me off. I am about to register for a 5k in July, and I want to be able to jog at least half of it.

Most message boards degenerate into snarky comments and user arguments after a couple of pages, so it's really nice to read one that is actually full of support and motivation. Thank you all. :flowerforyou:
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see such awesome responses here. Sometimes I feel as though when I'm running everyone's staring at me and making fun of me. I'm becoming a serious runner (I just did a half marathon Saturday) and I run at about the same time each day. I've been oinked at, called a fat *****, asked if I wanted a donut, etc. Someone made fun of what I was wearing (what's in my default) and said it looks like my fat's being squeezed out and it's disgusting. At the race on Saturday some woman said "Oh hell no I'm not going to be lapped by a fatass". So people are asshats and judge. I love running and I try to just let the comments slide because I get plenty of nice things said to me as well.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Today, I was that fat person running.

I went to my local park and did my couch to 5k session outside as the treadmill is so boring.

Everyone I passed smiled or nodded encouragement - well I think it was encouragement, it could have been pity :)

I can't wait to go again!
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I just get out of their way-Ty
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Ty- 10 pages and you've been passed but not lapped. Keep going! You are going great!
  • Seminole_puppy
    Seminole_puppy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight and don't run, so I think, "Man, there is no excuse for my not starting to jog." Of course, I don't sit in cars at parks and stare at the people using the park . . .

I'm impressed by joggers--whatever their size.
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Ty- 10 pages and you've been passed but not lapped. Keep going! You are going great!
    Txs I think? lol, I think i m just running the wrong direction because i keep passing the same group
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If I see a overweight person running:

1. It will be very inspiring and motivational for me.
    2. I will be very impressed and wonder if I will be able to do it.
    3. I will be happy for the person who took charge of their health.

If I am the overweight person running:

I don't care a damn who is looking at me and I will do what I like to do. It is my life....my path.
  • ZumbaLin
    ZumbaLin Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think they're awesome for getting out there and moving. Nothing says 'I'm making a change for the better' than seeing a heavy person working out, like REALLY working out. I roller skate for exercise and I'm mixed in a class full of kids with a lot of their parents looking on. I don't really care what anyone thinks but everyone that has ever said anything to me was impressed by my efforts and thought I was doing something really good.
  • ZumbaLin
    ZumbaLin Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I say go girl!!! Roller skating sounds like lots of fun! And when you enjoy what you're doing you're SO much more likely to stick with it! And for those parents looking on - they just may be saying - maybe I could do that!! :-) Go girl, and keep on smilin'!!
  • chrissismone
    chrissismone Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome since I'm that big chick running/walking on the treadmill. I had one guy a few days say I really love your determination and drive. I'm very bashful at times and couldn't say anything but thank you. I mean I don't want to be plagued with being unattractive my whole life esp since I'm not made in the cute type of girl body build. They may be overweight for a little while but they won't for long.