When I see overweight people running...

Options

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I was the exact same way that I didn't want anyone to see me. This is going to sound very strange, but I figured out a great place to run without many people spotting you. RUN IN A CEMETERY! There is one down the street from my house and one day I tried running on the paths there. It's now one of my favorite places for a peaceful walk or run - every now and then you'll see someone else walking or visiting a grave - but for the most part, I'm the only living one in there :wink:
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am doing P90X now but I am thinking of starting to run in about a month. I have been that person who is overweight. My mantra on this issue is "The older I get, more I just don't care what you think". My friends are my friends and will respect me no matter what. I don't really care what someone who I don't know thinks.

I am encouraged when I see heavier people run. They are trying to do something about it and not sit around complaining about how overweight they are. I got overweight because of my dietary decisions. I just don't care for the "Woe is me" attitude. I have an acquaintance of mine who has cerebral palsy in his legs and decided to start walking everyday no matter how strange he looks with canes. I think he is up to 2 miles now.
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    like most here...when I see overweight people running, i am in awe! They are so determined to just do it and feel better so why can't I??? I see confidence growing in them. Anyone judging their form, speed or whatever has got to have some serious insecurity issues with themselves.

I'm about 30 lbs overweight and started training on Feb 4th for my first 5K I'm running this Sunday... I used to basically jog/walk an 18 min/mile and barely run 1 mile. I'm now able to run a full 5 miles averaging 13-14 min/mile. I'm still not as fast as others in my running group but they motivate and encourage me to keep going! Personally I feel empowered and strong when I'm road running...I just know that when drivers go by they are wishing they had what I had to be out there in the below 30 cold, wind, rain and snow!
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    After 10 pages, it's no surprise to read that everyone would think positive thoughts when they see an overweight runner. We're all here for similar goals of being healthy, so it is exciting and also motiviating to see others.

The reality though is that we will all pass by many who don't react that way. I've been "moo'd" out of the gym, been yelled at from passing cars, and oinked at as well. I've lost almost 70 lbs in the last year and when I jogged/ walked my first 5K last weekend, I was STILL the largest person there.

Only those who've been there will understand how hard it is to push through those times. I simply use it as fuel to push me even harder now, though regretfully I didn't in the past, which is why I'm where I'm at now. I can be healthier tomorrow than today, but they'll always be stupid... you can't fix stupid so move on, right?
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I normally say "hell yeah, good for that person, I'm jealous" ! When I see anyone exercising I think WOW MOTIVATION!
  • miraquenice
    miraquenice Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would feel inspired! and happy to see someone working toward bettering themselves. :smile:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I wish I could run too :/
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I want to cheer! I want to tell them they are beautiful for doing something so hard and so courageous! I want to give them love and hugs and applause!
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The other day I saw the first overweight person running around here. Most have almost perfect bodies:

I thought "Hey I'm not the only one that isn't great at this yet!!" (because I'm also a fat person that runs but I don't really see myself)
  • phillips9366
    phillips9366 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything. I just hum the theme to Rocky!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I love it when I see overweight people running!! They are trying to improve and it makes me smile.
    Anybody running is inspiring me to run faster and try harder... sometimes I chase them :)
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    I think "That used to be me"

Because it was. But it's not anymore!

So the next thing I think is "KEEP GOING! YOU CAN DO THIS! GOOD ON YA BABY!!!!"

Everybody's gotta start somewhere, and I have tremendous respect for people who are strong enough to recogonize what they need to do and do it, because it ain't easy, but dammit it's worth it!!! :bigsmile:
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love what NC said about some people being stupid. It's sad but true. It's hard to be an overweight runner and people can suck--at least all the posts here are encouraging and positive and hopefully we can all make up for those few jerks that say mean things.

I'm still on the slow end of "runners" and whenever I see anyone running, faster or slower, I feel even more determined. With slower/larger runners, I make a point to smile and say hi or, if they're looking really tired, say something encouraging. I used to be right there in their boat when I started running and was afraid of letting people see me run.

I read a really awesome blog (The Boring Runner) written by a guy who went from not running to running Boston and he made an observation once that always stuck with me. He said that yes, it's hard to run 7:30 minute miles and to be speedy, but he said that he also admires slower runners because it's just tough to be on your feet for that long when you're running distances. The best thing about running is that it's what you make of it--the only one you have to beat is yourself.

So, when I see larger runners, I just think how awesome it is that they're doing something that for so long I'd said I was "too large" to do or was even "allergic" to. Keep up the hard work. :) Just think, you're lapping everyone on the couch!
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    After 10 pages, it's no surprise to read that everyone would think positive thoughts when they see an overweight runner. We're all here for similar goals of being healthy, so it is exciting and also motiviating to see others.

The reality though is that we will all pass by many who don't react that way. I've been "moo'd" out of the gym, been yelled at from passing cars, and oinked at as well. I've lost almost 70 lbs in the last year and when I jogged/ walked my first 5K last weekend, I was STILL the largest person there.

Only those who've been there will understand how hard it is to push through those times. I simply use it as fuel to push me even harder now, though regretfully I didn't in the past, which is why I'm where I'm at now. I can be healthier tomorrow than today, but they'll always be stupid... you can't fix stupid so move on, right?

See, whenever someone says something snide, or just plain mean, remember that it comes from a place of their own insecurity.
    Whoever is moo-ing at you is likely feeling inadequate themselves someway. No justification for being an *kitten*, but take comfort in the fact that you are doing something to improve your life, they are doing something to make theirs more miserable.

The people who throw these zings and jabs are not runners, or exercisers at all. I've had my share of comments thrown at me from guys in cars with cigarettes in their hands and who look like they've been partying too hard for the last decade or so. Say what you want to me - I'd rather have my *kitten* than your life any day, pal.....

STAY STRONG FRIENDS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    When I see overweight people running, I always have the urge to roll down my window and yell,

"Good for you!!"---but I never do, of course, cause I wouldn't want to scare or confuse them. LOL!
  • MichelleSawatzky
    MichelleSawatzky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner that is about 25 pounds overweight. I have been running for 4 years now. I have only done 5K's but my goal is to run a 10K this summer. I love to run no matter what my weight is, it's just a little easier when I don't have so much weight on me. (Working on that part right now)
    When I see overweight people running I think - good for them! I am encouraging if they ask me questions, etc.
    I love the saying "Whether it's a 14 minute mile or a 7 minute mile it'sstill a mile"

Keep it up and Good Luck on your first 5K - it's an amazing feeling crossing that finish line!! :happy:
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good for them. You start where you start and you do what you need to do to get in shape. There's no shame in that.
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    just started the couch to 5k myself and I am also very self concious. I am overweight and I am a track coach (haha:laugh: ). Actually I used to run a lot in high school but many years and 2 children later I have let myself get out of shape. I won't run on our track, I run in my very quiet, secluded neighborhood or an elementary school track that is rarely used by anyone.

I do try to remind myself and my very fit husband does to that at least I am doing what is good for me and I should not worry about what anyone else thinks.
  • nisey4999
    Options
    Five years ago I weighed in at 320+lbs. I had had it. I had 3 small children who needed to learn how to be healthy and I needed to teach them. So began my weight.loss journey. I started walking and gradually began to increase my pace. I started to jog at about 250lbs. At first I was very embarrassed. I felt like everyone was saying, "There goes the fat girl trying to lose weight again. She will fail." I had been over wt my whole life. Then I realized it was me saying those things and that thatinternal dialogue had to stop! 1 year and 6 weeks later I ran my first 5k and loved it. Oh by the way was at 150lbs by then. Over the last year I had some corrective surgeries and have gained some wt back, but now surgeries are done and working out again 5k that I first ran is in May and have ran in it for the last 4 yrs. I intend to get back into.shape and run again. Someone once told me the only difference between try and triumph is a little "umph". So go get on that trail and put a little umph into it. Tell yourself that you are a success! Get it girl!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I love it!! I think good for them!! And motivates me to go work out!!