When I see overweight people running...

Options

Replies

• manasunshine
    Options
    If I see someone overweight running, I think a couple of things:

1. Good for them! That's awesome.
    2. I know it's got to be harder for them than it is for me, so if they can do it, I can do it. When I see people working on goals bigger than mine, I find it inspirational. I should suck it up! If they can get out there and do it, so can I.

i'd think the same! i'd feel happy that they're on a healthier track and i would see them as an inspiration =)
  • MaryGebhard
    MaryGebhard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, in my first race I was smoked by some 80 yr olds. No problem, keep at it.
  • MaryGebhard
    MaryGebhard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Running isn't about size. I run pretty regularly and have been positively *SMOKED* by runners of ALL sizes and ALL ages during races. Some are even pushing strollers! Up a hill! On a dirt, bumpy road! And I'm just trying to move myself.

It's all about getting out there and doing it. I love supporting runners of any size, any age, any - well, anything!

I hear ya, in my first race I was smoked by some 80 yr olds. No problem, keep at it; I hope I can smoke some young ones when I'm 80:-)
  • Cimolestes
    Cimolestes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I personally think its great!

I'm way more skeeved out by the folks who sit in the car at the park. What the heck is that about?!? In fact, a few weeks ago I took my kids to the park and took our dog. Dog was going spastic at the guy sitting in his car for a 1/2 hour. What is the point? There's nothing to LOOK AT.

I don't know about him, but I love listening to radio plays in my car and have to wait until the end!
  • omellil
    omellil Posts: 14
    Options
    Fortitude: courage in the face of adversity. being over weight and getting out there is fortitude. When I see an overweight person running I'm reminded of when I was the really skinny guy walking into the weight room for the first time and how I felt, and I imagine that it's probably harder for the overweight person than it was for me back then, and I draw inspiration from that fortitude, and for that I owe you thanks.

Now a related question: I sometimes smile at overweight people running, because I'm inspired, because I feel I owe thanks for that inspiration, and because I want them to feel good about themselves for getting out there. That said, I worry that despite my sincerity I come across as mocking or something negative, being the fit guy smiling briefly at the heavy person as we cross running paths. How does it make you feel when this happens? should I stop this practice?
  • Cimolestes
    Options
    At my weekly weigh-in tonight I finally got below the 400 lb barrier for the first time in at least 15 years. I am starting to walk much more easily and feel my joints are not going to give up.

I am thinking about signing for a 5k 'Race for Life' in my local park in aid of Cancer Research, although the prospect is a bit daunting at the moment. This is now made more poignant by the fact that one of my dear colleagues at work has just been diagnosed with cancer. I won't be running it of course, it's for walking, jogging or running and it is not a timed event. You finish - you get a medal, a feeling of accomplishment and have hopefully raised some money by sponsorship. But I have more weight to lose and training to do over the next 4 months, so if you spot someone very large looking determined and trying to walk with purpose it probably wont be me exactly, but it will be more likely to be someone like me who has a long way to go and a lot to do. It's nice to see on here that people will be rooting for 'me' in one form or another!

Thanks people!
  • Cimolestes
    Options
    That said, I worry that despite my sincerity I come across as mocking or something negative, being the fit guy smiling briefly at the heavy person as we cross running paths. How does it make you feel when this happens? should I stop this practice?

Combine it with a thumbs-up - that would do it for me!
  • omellil
    omellil Posts: 14
    Options
    Thumbs-up, great idea, and so simple ... Thanks :)
  • Martestl
    Martestl Posts: 3
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. When I first started jogging, I felt a little awkward, but the fellow joggers/runners would say 'hi' or wave and that would make me feel better. The park I exercise in is close to my house and I get up early on weekends to walk/jog because there are not as many people. You have to remember that you are exercising for YOU and not let what others may or may not be thinking about you matter. I have come to realize that most people who are exercising are not even thinking about what you are doing and are very supportive. It took me a little while to get to that point, but it's a relief when you do. Hang in there!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I always want to tell them to keep going and never give up! I'm proud of them for trying, and I wonder if they would be encouraged my saying something or just embarrassed.

I was overweight when I started running, but I'm not now (and still run) and really, learning a life-time sport like running has created such a wonderful supportive environment for me with people who are interested in maintaining health! Even when my regular friends are not as supportive as I'd like, my running friends are always there for me! ready to encourage me to try harder, to keep training, to never give up, to eat healthy, etc.

it's really helped me become addicted to being proud of myself, and b/c of that I will never stop exercising. I **like** doing something hard!
    Keep going!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Fortitude: courage in the face of adversity. being over weight and getting out there is fortitude. When I see an overweight person running I'm reminded of when I was the really skinny guy walking into the weight room for the first time and how I felt, and I imagine that it's probably harder for the overweight person than it was for me back then, and I draw inspiration from that fortitude, and for that I owe you thanks.

Now a related question: I sometimes smile at overweight people running, because I'm inspired, because I feel I owe thanks for that inspiration, and because I want them to feel good about themselves for getting out there. That said, I worry that despite my sincerity I come across as mocking or something negative, being the fit guy smiling briefly at the heavy person as we cross running paths. How does it make you feel when this happens? should I stop this practice?

No!! Don't stop.

Runners acknowledge each other - when a fellow runner smiles acknowledgement I feel more like a runner. :)
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I used to be ashamed and afraid to run, jog or even walk in public. I had a bad experience when I was 14 or 15 where some guys yelled something mean to me about being a fat *kitten* while I was jogging.

So when I started doing c25k, I was really nervous. First day, no problems. No one really even looked up at me but it was pretty early in the morning so not a lot of people were awake. Then either the 2nd or 3rd day... some guy drove by during one of my fast intervals and gave me a thumbs up. I was so happy.

When I see fat people running... I think "Good for them!"

When I run now... I think "**** YES! I WILL DESTROY EVERYOOOOOOOOONE BECAUSE I WIN AT LIFE AND THEY SUCK! AHHHHHH AHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!"
  • craftylady1972
    craftylady1972 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I say WOW! and am envious of their commitment and determination. If someone has a problem with someone who is heavy running they are the one with the prloblem. You go Girl and good luck!:wink:
  • CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Thank you, I think its great for someone to say something. definately encouraging. "Hey you look great." "How are you" "Want to go out tomorrow" (<-- ok, pushing it) but really. To just be acknowledged is great!! Thank you!
  • CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    do u really care what anyone else thinks? do it for u not anyone else!

YES! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who will admit this feeling. It would be easy to say, "no, I dont care what anyone thinks." But when it comes to working out in an area where its mainly fit people doing what I am trying to do, yes, I care...We all care to an extent or we would all leave the house in our birthday suits!
  • vdub88
    vdub88 Posts: 79
    Options
    My favorite quote is " no matter how slow you run you are lapping the personon the couch"

here is the other thing - i am 250 pounds and I run 5k's - my favorite things is passing the skinny people when I run. I know people don't expect it - i have learned there are "fat" skinny people.
  • milkll13
    milkll13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", 241lbs and I run all the time.

Yesterday I was on a treadmill at the gym for 45 minutes, did 4.3 miles and when I finished, the guy next to me said "that was really good, youre in a lot better shape than you think you are." I told him "I don’t think I'm outa shape...everyone else does."

I have a 12 week plan to train for a half marathon, too. I dont care who's lookin at me. All that matters is the lady in the looking glass.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If William "The Refrigerator" Perry could run, so can you:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLAS1Ih0EZk
  • myroadto130
    Options
    I think it's amazing when I see overweight people running. I know how much they're struggling because I went through it when I was in my 270's .. I'm in the170's now and it's still difficult to keep up with a lot of people, but I see how far i've come and how much more I can actually run. So, I definitely applaud them and use them as an inspiration (even if I'm overweight myself)
  • lexygirl32
    Options
    I think its GREAT!!!! It makes me want to do the same.....Good for them.....:smile: