Pepsi Max vs. Coke Zero

Options

Replies

• Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero is the BOMB!!! It tastes just like Coke to me. I cannot drink Diet Coke at all anymore.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Never said it wasn't possible to lose weight while drinking diet soda. Putting aside whether or not it effects your weight, I think most things with fake sugars in them are just plain no good for you. I don't feel like getting in a facts war or research citing argument. Cutting diet coke and all sodas out of my diet has helped my weight loss. There are clearly two different schools of thought in this debate...but I feel pretty confident in saying I feel better all around after replacing soda with water.

Yes there are two schools of thought. One based on science, the other based on 'well I have no evidence, but I'll say I do anyways!'

I personally think that people should be getting their water in IN ADDITION to Pepsi Max or Coke Zero. I personally do (usually 2-3L of water a day, plus 1-2L of Pepsi Max a day) I've found that's helped me with my weight loss. I feel crap without water. I don't know if that's a scientific fact or not, but it works for me so I keep doing it.

But coming in and telling people 'DON'T DRINK DIET SOFT DRINK IT'S SO BAD FOR YOU' is a load of rubbish and just plain false.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Absolute fallacy that they stop you losing weight. Does my picture below look like it stopped me? Cherry Pepsi Max is the best! :bigsmile:

15809555_8581.jpg

There is cherry? I will have to look for that. I love the cherry with dry rum.

There is cherry indeed! = yum!

4060800166531_21000_IDShot_2.jpeg
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    Pepsi Max hands down.................in moderation:)

See this is the key...all things are fine in moderation, but when you get to the point like I was where you are drinking more diet coke than water, that's a problem. That stuff is addictive. I wish I could drink one a week but I know I would start drinking it all the time again.

Also, super muscular man, first of all great job you look fantastic. Second, I never said it wasn't possible to lose weight while drinking the stuff. Only that for some of us, like me, replacing it with water is just a better choice for our bodies. Clearly it makes no difference to your body, but it helped me and several people I know do better on their weight loss journey.

Fact or fiction, who knows. But it worked for me!
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i just started ot Pepsi Max and i think it tastes just fine :) I need to quit pop all together though...but it is sooo hard:frown:
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    None! Your body digest real soda better than diet but reality WATER is what your body loves!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big soda drinker. Maybe have 5 or 6 a year. I did try the new Dr. Pepper 10 and I liked it much better than Coke Zero. I've never tried Pepsi Maxx.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Pepsi Max hands down.................in moderation:)

See this is the key...all things are fine in moderation, but when you get to the point like I was where you are drinking more diet coke than water, that's a problem. That stuff is addictive. I wish I could drink one a week but I know I would start drinking it all the time again.

Also, super muscular man, first of all great job you look fantastic. Second, I never said it wasn't possible to lose weight while drinking the stuff. Only that for some of us, like me, replacing it with water is just a better choice for our bodies. Clearly it makes no difference to your body, but it helped me and several people I know do better on their weight loss journey.

Fact or fiction, who knows. But it worked for me!

Could you explain using physics and or hormonal systems, how something with zero calories prevents you losing weight?

No insulin response on...

Aspartame - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186
    Saccharin - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7652029
    Sucralose - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21245879

This means they will not induce the body to store food consumed at the same time as fat or speed up the uplift as energy etc

In terms of physics With zero calories based on the laws of the universe, something without a readable calorie cannot transfer its energy from the coke into the body and induce a calorific uptake... when there is no calories to be taken up.
  • svanhoecke
    Options
    All the science mumbo jumbo I don't know enough about to try and make claims. Some business about it making you crave sweets, or how it is hard on your digestive system. You can look that up if you want details but this isn't my main point.

But: a lot of people drinking soda (clearly not you) tend to decrease their water intake. They quench their thirst with their diet whatever drink and don't drink enough water. Personally, when I drank soda I was probably only drinking a third of the water I should because I wasn't thirsty for water, I was thirsty for diet coke. All the time.

I don't think anyone can argued the benefits of drinking water for weight loss, yes? There is a reason mfp makes us track it.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Diet coke etc IS 99% water. It has sweetners 18-30x as sweet as sugar to give flavour. I've given you the science. Drinking diet coke is drinking water.

EDIT
    With a little sweetener

PS - i'm not saying drinking water is bad, I drink loads but there is NOTHING available to show it is bad from accredited sources.
  • svanhoecke
    Options
    I believe we will just have to agree to disagree. For me, water is water.

As a rule, we should all do what works for our bodies. What works for one person may not work for another. For the most part when we give advice on message boards it's advice that has helped us. I was only giving advice on what has helped me in my journey. I am glad that other people have had different experiences and share those too. That's how we learn and change and try and figure out what works for us.

Lovely having this convo with you all. I have learned a few things too.

I'm off to go grab a big old glass of water. :happy:
  • QuintinV
    QuintinV Posts: 28
    Options
    Two interesting links:
    http://arizonaadvancedmedicine.com/articles/diet_soda.html
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/413306-does-diet-soda-count-as-water-intake/

I drink coke zero in moderation as I do agree that water is obviously still the best choice. I also make sure that because I drink coke zero I drink more than the 8 glasses of water to compensate (more for the sodium content in the coke than anything else) and it is working for me.

Logically speaking, drinks like coke and even coffee contains water as well that does add to your daily water intake; however, I don't count it as such. The caffeine content being low when taken in moderation also does not prevent you from hydrating when drinking it.

I agree that one should do what works for YOU.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    I believe we will just have to agree to disagree. For me, water is water.

As a rule, we should all do what works for our bodies. What works for one person may not work for another. For the most part when we give advice on message boards it's advice that has helped us. I was only giving advice on what has helped me in my journey. I am glad that other people have had different experiences and share those too. That's how we learn and change and try and figure out what works for us.

Lovely having this convo with you all. I have learned a few things too. off to go grab a big old glass of water. :happy:

I coach others too...

Lady I coached
    Before - http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9674/tarabefore.jpg
    After - http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/388/taraafter.jpg

Bloke I coached
    Before and after - http://tinyurl.com/7p9n8z8

I told them all to drink as much diet drinks as they like and coffee/tea etc. Of course water too. Of course everyone is different but you can't argue with proven studies using your gut instinct, surely?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I also make sure that because I drink coke zero I drink more than the 8 glasses of water to compensate (more for the sodium content in the coke than anything else) and it is working for me.

I don't understand why this sodium myth won't die. The sodium content is right there on the label! :sad:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    All the science mumbo jumbo I don't know enough about to try and make claims. Some business about it making you crave sweets, or how it is hard on your digestive system. You can look that up if you want details but this isn't my main point.

But: a lot of people drinking soda (clearly not you) tend to decrease their water intake. They quench their thirst with their diet whatever drink and don't drink enough water. Personally, when I drank soda I was probably only drinking a third of the water I should because I wasn't thirsty for water, I was thirsty for diet coke. All the time.

I don't think anyone can argued the benefits of drinking water for weight loss, yes? There is a reason mfp makes us track it.
    The "science mumbo jumbo" you're referring to is actually just "mumbo jumbo" and not science. They are myths that have been disproven time and time again. Drink what you want, but if cutting out diet soda helped you to lose weight more than drinking it did, it's from something called the "placebo effect."

As for "drinking water for weight loss," there are no weight loss or biological benefits for choosing plain water over any other available liquid you can drink, other than lack of calories.
    So drinking 100% water and no soda, or drinking 100% soda and no water are the exact same thing from a biological, hydration and nutrition standpoint.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I prefer Pepsi Max
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I dont do diet at all cuz of the aspartame... :(

therefore I dont drink soda LOL. Only water or tea.

I will on occasion have a glass or reg pepsi if its a special occasion.

Special occasions are no more than a few times a year, so to me thats ok. Id rather go reg soda than whatever is in diet.. :/
  • thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Pepsi Max all the way!
  • stevo7723
    stevo7723 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    They are both gross... Drink your water and splurge with a normal coke or pepsi every once and a while

That's what I do and it works for me
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am a Coke Zero girl!!!