Pepsi Max vs. Coke Zero

Options

Replies

• jcearth
    jcearth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have lost 179 pounds in the past year and I enjoy multiple diet sodas every day. I drink water during and after workouts, but for the rest of the day I consume either Diet Pepsi, Coke Zero, or Diet Dr. Pepper (I tried Dr. Pepper 10 - wasn't for me). Certainly, I would have not lost as much weight if I drank on average 6 full calorie sodas a day (900 calories x 365/3500 =93.85 lbs not lost). But I don't understand how I would have lost any more weight had I only consumed water and no diet soda at all when there is no caloric difference.

7980302.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • DBBA21
    DBBA21 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would go for Pepsi Max!
  • Amawerl
    Amawerl Posts: 1
    Options
    Soda is not good for you at all. Yes, even diet soda. The artificial sugar in the diet soda is foreign to your body, and it doesn't know how to digest it, so instead turns it into fat. So yes, diet soda will hinder your weight loss.

Drink water, milk, or 100% juice.
  • TheNewDoug
    Options
    I don't like the taste of Pepsi Max, but I like Diet Pepsi. I was never a Coke fan till I tried Coke Zero. I am cheap, so I drink the Wal Mart Sam's Cola Zero Calorie.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Soda is not good for you at all. Yes, even diet soda. The artificial sugar in the diet soda is foreign to your body, and it doesn't know how to digest it, so instead turns it into fat. So yes, diet soda will hinder your weight loss.

Calories turn into fat if your body does not use them for energy. Diet soda has 0 sugar and generally has between 0-10 calories per bottle. Not a lot there to turn into fat. You'd have to drink 350 of the 10 calorie bottles to take in enough calories to make up 1 lb of fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

Lol, really? Show an actual peer reviewed clinical study that proves that aspartame turns into fat. Look up what phenylalanine and aspartic acid is. You'd be shocked to find that both exist in REGULAR FOODS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • QuintinV
    QuintinV Posts: 28
    Options
    I also make sure that because I drink coke zero I drink more than the 8 glasses of water to compensate (more for the sodium content in the coke than anything else) and it is working for me.

I don't understand why this sodium myth won't die. The sodium content is right there on the label! :sad:

What sodium myth?
    There's around 35mg of sodium per 250ml coke zero and sodium (also salty food) allows less hydration. I am having an extra glass of water... so what is the concern? Help me to understand what you mean...
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Lol, really? Show an actual peer reviewed clinical study that proves that aspartame turns into fat. Look up what phenylalanine and aspartic acid is. You'd be shocked to find that both exist in REGULAR FOODS.

IDEA Fitness member

^^ the last one.... I drink coke zero like its going out of style during my cut and dropped 15 lbs
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I hate diet coke.
    I used to drink diet pepsi now i hook on coke zero.
  • dan72719
    dan72719 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can't stand either one. I drink one Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper a morning then switch to water for the rest of the day.
  • SandyQ229
    SandyQ229 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    plan coke zero upsets my stomach. though cherry coke zero doesnt'. but i would definitly say pepsi max. i am a pepsi girl all the way.!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Truth. 4 oz (113 grams) of chicken breast contains the same amount of aspartame as 23-25 cans of diet soda.

(4 oz of chicken contains roughly 4600 mg of phenylalanine and aspartic acid. A diet soda contains roughly 180-200 mg of aspartame (which is phenylalanine and aspartic acid.))
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    PEPSI MAX ALWAYS! <3 i drink it for the added caffiene as i have a low bp. the ginseng is also good for you too! (: GUZZLE.:tongue:
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Stick with water... Don't drink either :) Can't go wrong with water and in my opinion, no soda is good for you whether it's diet, caffeine free, etc. With that said, I drink one every once in a while but I stick to water 99% of the time :)
  • happyjoyousfree1
    happyjoyousfree1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    once or twice a week coke zero!
  • Dawn3218
    Dawn3218 Posts: 80
    Options
    Either with lashings of Bacardi - and dont forget the slice of lime - helps towards your 5-a-day :bigsmile:
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    oh, i didnt know that was how your body processed artificial sugar! i always wondered why people said they were so bad for you! :O
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    oh, i didnt know that was how your body processed artificial sugar! i always wondered why people said they were so bad for you! :O

What do you mean? The body processes aspartame just like any other amino acid chain. To the body, drinking a diet soda is no different than eating a steak, or tofu, or any food containing protein. It just contains much less protein than any other protein source.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I also make sure that because I drink coke zero I drink more than the 8 glasses of water to compensate (more for the sodium content in the coke than anything else) and it is working for me.

I don't understand why this sodium myth won't die. The sodium content is right there on the label! :sad:

What sodium myth?
    There's around 35mg of sodium per 250ml coke zero and sodium (also salty food) allows less hydration. I am having an extra glass of water... so what is the concern? Help me to understand what you mean...

That's a very minimal amount of sodium, it's certainly not enough that you need to offset it by drinking extra water. You didn't specifically say this but I constantly read about it's "loaded" with sodium. That's the myth I was referring to.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    That's a very minimal amount of sodium, it's certainly not enough that you need to offset it by drinking extra water. You didn't specifically say this but I constantly read about it's "loaded" with sodium. That's the myth I was referring to.

Agreed - most bottled water contains around 12-15mg/litre. Tap water around 200mg!