Working full time AND working out?

Options

Replies

• lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ....lots of good advice and words of wisdom here. if we (a lot of my MFP friends and i) can make it happen, You can.
  • Nook_
    Nook_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Work out in the morning! :)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I work full time and my job requires business travel. I am married and have a child. I do all the cooking for my family and we eat together every night.

And still I find time to work out.

Priorities... if it's important you'll make time. I'm sure there is plenty of TV watching, book reading or telephone chatting that can be eliminated in order to invest in your health.

Welcome to being a grown up, darling.

:flowerforyou:

LOVE!!
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I work full time and go to school part time. I still manage to work out most days. Keep in mind I am also married. It is all about time mangement as some others have said. I suggest mornings to get it out of the way, that is what I do most of the time.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It has to be a priority and a habit, like anything else that MUST get done. Hopefully at some point, it will become your "me" time and you'll look forward to it most days!

Last year I worked full time, went to school full time, and worked out 6 days a week. So it can be done. Good luck to you! :heart:
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    I work long hours...most days going in at 6 or 630 and working until 4 or 430. I go right to the gym after work. I don't bother going home first because I will give 50 excuses why I can't.

Your schedule of 9-5..I would love that...I also go in on weekends when I get paged.

What do you do when you get home from work?
  • Clarimusic00
    Clarimusic00 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who have full days workout in the early morning so they are fresh and energetic. I personally hate mornings and just can't get myself to do it. I. Maybe that would help you? I workout when I get home from work before I get too comfortable to put it off.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone :)

I'm 18, last year I had dropped out of school, had nothing to do for 4 months, so I spent all my time at the gym and lost 8kg. This year I got a full time job, 9-5, and since I've started I've gained all that weight back :( I find it so hard to work out when I get home, I can barely stay awake at work all day when I get home at 6 30 all I want to do is eat dinner and flop!

The most I can manage is 20-30 minutes of walking every second or third day , but I feel I should be doing more.

My question is how do you balance your work life and your exercise? How do you stay motivated even when you have no energy? What time of day do you work out? I'm determined to do it but I'm finding it really difficult.

Thank you if you can help :)

welcome to the world as you get older it will get harder, go back to school!!!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I work a 40 hour work week, I work out an hour during lunch, and then an hour after work. Balls to the wall if you will.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I work 10 hour night shifts, have 2 kids and own a small business. I make time. I take the kids for a walk, hike ride, jump rope etc. I put them in bed and exercise at 8-9pm, then work at 11pm. If i am not too tired i workout before i go to bed in the a.m. If i have work orders on the weekend i workout in between orders.I want this, so i make it work.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    I know what your going through...I am a full time student and work full time...i just try my best to balance my time and get it done not cause I WANT TO BUT I HAVE TO...

I balance both by planning out my whole week
    I work and go to school monday thur friday..

8:30 a.m. till 12:20 p.m. school....
    4:00p.m. till 9:30 p.m. work....

So i get up at 7:00 a.m. work out for about 30 mins and inbetween work and school about 90mins...I know it is hard but I feel good..it's like my engery level goes sky high and I have amazing friends ive meet on here who push me and keep me motivated:)

The weekends I have all day to work out so i workout about an hour in the a.m. and at night a workout dvd of my choice

Once you get into a routine trust me you will be fine...you just gotta learn how to balance your time and stay focus...

TO ANYONE READING IM HERE AND FEEL FREE TO ADD AS FRIEND:)
  • jwaters1006
    jwaters1006 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used to wake up at 7am to be to work from 8-4:30, now I get up at 5am and am in the gym by 5:30, this gives me an hour and a half to work out and get back home and then I pick up my day from there.
  • coryp12
    coryp12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It can be done. For example, I work full time and my shift varies plus I work most weekends. My work weeks are sometimes 10 days straight. Since August 4th I have dropped 79.9 pounds while working out 6 days a week. Oh, did I mention that 90 plus percent of those workouts are done while watching 3 kids 4 and under while my wife is at work? The key is to find an amount of time you can commit to without being an inattentive parent. Then go all out for that amount of time. I usually can only do 30-45 minutes max but make sure to give i my all, no slacking!! Good luck!!
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    As others have said, you just do it.

I work 8:30am until 7:45pm two days a week (full time job, but two longer days as part of my workweek) and on those days I pack my gym bag and a light dinner (soup in a cup, a bit of fruit, some cheese, salad, whatever) and go straight from my office to the gym. I get home around 10pm those night, but by golly I get it done. And I wouldn't make it home before my kids were in bed anyways on those nights, so I might as well try and get momma more fit instead of coming home and camping out on the couch for a couple hours!

I'm a night owl, so if you are a morning person it might be better to get up earlier and work out then. Whatever you do, just get it done. No excuses.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I just do it. It's important to me so I make time for it. Sometimes I go 4 days without exercising but I'll also work 8.5 hours and waste 2-3 hours due to having to take the bus. So if I have to arrive to work an hour and a half early, I try using that time to walk around. Sometimes you can just sneak at least some exercise in.
  • princesspeach577
    princesspeach577 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I work 8-5. I usually work out at night and eat dinner afterwards. I use dvds like 30 day shred so that I don't have to spend time traveling to the gym. It works for me because I can't make an excuse to not do it since I'm at home anyways. I also try to make sure I work out on the weekends since I have the time to do it.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I work 84 hours a week and still workout 3-4 times a week. You have to make time.
  • JJJJ25
    JJJJ25 Posts: 37
    Options
    Is it easier if you skip the gym and do home workouts some days? Bodyweight circuits and a jump rope provide strength training and cardio.

Or, can you walk during your lunch break? Maybe a coworker will join you and keep you motivated to do it.

Or, arrange to meet a friend at the gym right after work. Go straight from work - if you go home you'll be tempted to stay home.

You can work out for longer sessions a few times a week, or do smaller (30-45min) daily workouts.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I work 8 hrs a day and work out at the gym right after work every evening. It was hard at first but once I got into a routine it was much easier. It has helped me in so many ways that I feel I have to do it for my well being. It has given me more energy throughout the day and I feel better mentally and physically so it is worth it.
    Good luck to you.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    I just posted this to my blog, but seriously if you WANT to do it you WILL find a way. :o) I only require about 6-7 hours of sleep, where as some need more. What about before work?

This is me:

Monday - Friday

5:20am: Alarm gently wakes me up.

5:30am: In my car with my bags, en route to the gym. Listen to music very loud, sing, drive safe.

6:00am: On the gym floor. Me=ecstatic.

7:30am: Back in the locker room, getting ready for work.

8:00am: Drive across the street to my office, park in the same spot. At my desk, sitting on an exercise ball. Eat, make tea, get water, work, meetings, yadayada for the next 9ish hours.

5:00pm: Drive home, unpack, make dinner, make/pack lunch for the next day, clean up kitchen mess.

6:30/7pm: Pick out clothes to wear the next day, pack my gym bag, get food ready (in a pile for me to grab-and-go in the morning), make sure work bag is packed.

7:30/8pm: Finally sit down to relax for the night while drinking wine or beer with husband.

10:30pm-ish: Bedtime.