You Can Gain Muscle On A Calorie Deficit!!

Options

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I have known women who were overweight and were put on a weight loss diet (calorie deficit) during their pregnancy. They lost a substantial amount of weight while the fetus continued to grow to a healthy weight.

So the mother was on a calorie deficit and lost weight? What's your point? LOL. A portion of a pregnant mother's calories obviously go to the baby and the baby is going to grow. You didn't really prove anything there, nice try though.
    Noob question, I know, but aren't babies made of protein too?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I have known women who were overweight and were put on a weight loss diet (calorie deficit) during their pregnancy. They lost a substantial amount of weight while the fetus continued to grow to a healthy weight.

So the mother was on a calorie deficit and lost weight? What's your point? LOL. A portion of a pregnant mother's calories obviously go to the baby and the baby is going to grow. You didn't really prove anything there, nice try though.

Sure. And you can have more than adequate protein in a calorie deficit. But think about this... If the average baby at birth is what 6 or 7lbs, how many calories does that baby need to grow? Maybe 100 calories per day? So if the mother is already overweight and put on a diet. Even if the baby consumes 100 of the calories it needs to grow the mother will still lose weight and the baby will grow.
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options

My point is (to use your analogy) that fat cells are like having gas in the engine so building (be it babies or muscles) while on a caloric deficit does not violate any scientific law.
    Does this help you understand or do you need further clarification?
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You're the 2nd person to use leg lifts and a number around 150lbs. This guy increased his BENCH 150lbs. And I think he was out of lifting for well over a year. Probably 5 years? 10?

Again, have you read anything in this thread that indicates he paid particular attention do his diet and training to maximize his lifts w/o trying to gain mucsle mass? I didn't. I also didn't try to assign all of that gain to muscle mass gains. But I didn't EXCLUDE any one reason either.
    Jeff I hadnt lifted in like 18-19 years prior to last year. But as a kid I worked at the legendary York Barbell Gym after school
  • jg627
    Options

Sure. And you can have more than adequate protein in a calorie deficit. But think about this... If the average baby at birth is what 6 or 7lbs, how many calories does that baby need to grow? Maybe 100 calories per day? So if the mother is already overweight and put on a diet. Even if the baby consumes 100 of the calories it needs to grow the mother will still lose weight and the baby will grow.
    There's a little bit more to it than just a 7 lb baby that comes out. I don't suggest looking.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I have known women who were overweight and were put on a weight loss diet (calorie deficit) during their pregnancy. They lost a substantial amount of weight while the fetus continued to grow to a healthy weight. Energy is stored in our fat cells, this is why growth, including muscular growth, is possible even while a person is losing weight. This does not violate the law of thermodynamics.

There's also a reason prenatal suggestions are all very careful about the degree of calorie restriction, as it can cause problems for the fetus.

Your body prioritizes energy expenditure.

Reproduction comes before muscle growth.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    And we go again...........

I suppose it depends. Some muscle groups aren't as affected by his weight than others.

Jeff how often do we have to go around and around the circle? Until one of us runs out of gas or until you realize the facts?

Which is it?

Oh yeah, "until I realize the facts". Great logic there. I recommened you post into a threat of the other guys' success and you declined. I'm not going to debat this guy's gains as he obviously had alot of fat stores. But muscle groups like the bicept / tricep aren't going to be worked like the back/legs on a heavy person
    I truely fail to see your point here.
    Biceps and Triceps get worked by doing almost every other lifting exercise you do. Maybe I misunderstood what you're saying.
    Then how comes I didnt gain any muscle in my calves from gaining and carring around an extra 83 lbs for years? And how comes my calves as of March were an inch larger than they were when I started to workout and lose weight? Also how comes I could wrap my hand around my arm above my wrist and could easily touch my thumb and middle finger together and now there is about an inch between the two? I guess I gained all my muscle from getting fat in my bi's, tri's and traps?
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    Also I understand what you guys are saying about different, lighting, poses, angles camera's etc. can make a person look larger etc. But show me just one pic. out of the dozen or so pics I have posted that was taken in an earlier month that the camera, lighting, pose. angle etc. made me look larger than any pic. that was taken at a later date. Just one!!
    No one ???
  • jg627
    Options
    I have known women who were overweight and were put on a weight loss diet (calorie deficit) during their pregnancy. They lost a substantial amount of weight while the fetus continued to grow to a healthy weight. Energy is stored in our fat cells, this is why growth, including muscular growth, is possible even while a person is losing weight. This does not violate the law of thermodynamics.

There's also a reason prenatal suggestions are all very careful about the degree of calorie restriction, as it can cause problems for the fetus.

Your hormones control how the energy and nutrients are used. As soon as you become pregnant your estrogen starts taking over. That's why steroids can make you gain significant size even on a large deficit, because you are artificially introducing more testosterone, but nobody wants to see a zit back in the locker room. That's nasty.
    Also, if you are really overweight, testosterone goes down and estrogen goes up in men. That's how we get man boobs.
  • 2April
    Options

Luckily the OP wasn't pregnant while trying to gain muscle on a deficit then.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options

LMAO!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Also I understand what you guys are saying about different, lighting, poses, angles camera's etc. can make a person look larger etc. But show me just one pic. out of the dozen or so pics I have posted that was taken in an earlier month that the camera, lighting, pose. angle etc. made me look larger than any pic. that was taken at a later date. Just one!!
    No one ???

I believe that was originally directed at me. I had responded saying I didn't want to try to speak to the specifics of your pictures because I thought it would come off as a personal attack. I do think you look substantially fitter in your later pictures, but I don't think that muscle growth you were speaking about is large enough to be considered massive muscle growth. I think it looks bigger than it actually is because there's so much (74 lbs) less of you.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    Since no one repsonded to this question in the previous thread before it got locked: How comes in the pic. below from Oct-2011, my clothes look way to big and just hanging off me everywhere except for my shoulders and lats where my shirt is very tight? When I go to my house in FL. I was so acustomed to just grabbing my back and heading to the airport that I kept forgeting to pack new clothes so I kept wearing the same clothes that I had in FL.
    snook4.jpg
  • JNick77
    Options

My point is (to use your analogy) that fat cells are like having gas in the engine so building (be it babies or muscles) while on a caloric deficit does not violate any scientific law.

The fat cells comment wasn't mine. I'm saying the baby is getting the calories it needs to grow from it's mother. The calories a fetus needs is only a small fraction of the mother's in-take.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Fair point, but that heavily glosses over the fact that a lot of other stuff is going on too. If you are not taking in enough to survive, your body is forced to pillage energy stores it has set aside. More of these stores can be taken from a larger person, hence them being able to safely handle larger deficits, but ultimately as your deficit gets bigger your body will pillage lean mass as well.

If your body is in a deficit, and burning fat and muscle for energy (obviously less muscle if you're eating right and working out), why would it waste some of that energy to build new muscle? In extreme cases (completely new lifter, very obese person with tons of fat stores, lifter coming off a long vacation) your body is *forced to grow new mass based on the new demands being placed on it or the relative abundance of stored energy in the person's body fat. Those gains won't be substantial though, as it's more efficient to condition the muscles and make them stronger via the things already listed previously.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Since no one repsonded to this question in the previous thread before it got locked: How comes in the pic. below from Oct-2011, my clothes look way to big and just hanging off me everywhere except for my shoulders and lats where my shirt is very tight? When I go to my house in FL. I was so acustomed to just grabbing my back and heading to the airport that I kept forgeting to pack new clothes so I kept wearing the same clothes that I had in FL.

I commented just above you.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    No one ???

I believe that was originally directed at me. I had responded saying I didn't want to try to speak to the specifics of your pictures because I thought it would come off as a personal attack. I do think you look substantially fitter in your later pictures, but I don't think that muscle growth you were speaking about is large enough to be considered massive muscle growth. I think it looks bigger than it actually is because there's so much (74 lbs) less of you.

I missed where the op mentions massive
  • 2April
    Options

The fat cells comment wasn't mine. I'm saying the baby is getting the calories it needs to grow from it's mother. The calories a fetus needs is only a small fraction of the mother's in-take.
    So why can't a muscle get the calories it needs to grow from its "father"? The calories that the muscle needs is only a small fraction of the father's intake.
  • JNick77
    Options

Your hormones control how the energy and nutrients are used. As soon as you become pregnant your estrogen starts taking over. That's why steroids can make you gain significant size even on a large deficit, because you are artificially introducing more testosterone, but nobody wants to see a zit back in the locker room. That's nasty.
    Also, if you are really overweight, testosterone goes down and estrogen goes up in men. That's how we get man boobs.

Bodybuilders still eat excess calories while on steroids to gain mass, steroids alone do not inhibit hypertrophy. If your diet and programming are **** even while on steroids you're not going to gain much. The steroids may help reduce catabolism while on a cut. I'll out myself here... I'm a TRT patient and take steroids weekly. I'm also on a calorie deficit, my mass has not increased. My strength has increased gradually over time but no mass benefit.

Estrogen goes up in the presence of high bodyfat, not just being overweight. Have you see a pro powerlifter lately? Those dudes are typically very overweight and I guarantee you there's no shortage of T in that bunch.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    So why can't a muscle get the calories it needs to grow from its "father"? The calories that the muscle needs is only a small fraction of the father's intake.

It would if there were ample calories available. As it is your body is already pillaging stores for the energy to survive. In extreme cases that have been listed dozens of times minimal growth is possible, but beyond that no.