You Can Gain Muscle On A Calorie Deficit!!

Options

Replies

• clifbell
    clifbell Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been lifting for several years. I am not bulked up looking, but I have always gone to the gym regularly since college. So far, I have been able to maintain my currently lifting during my weight loss. I do supplement with whey protein before and after weight lifting (110 calories each before and after). I only lift twice a week as I am 57 years old. But I still can bench 305 pounds and leg press 500 pounds. I will worry about gaining muscle mass after I lose another 15-20 pounds. I did lose a little strength until I added the supplements right before and after my workouts.

This might be psychological only, but I will take it either way. I always been called a mental case by my friends anyway.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I used his arms because that's what he referenced. Why would I think he only gained in his arms and not everywhere else?

Question is do you think he's smaller? You didn't think so. You only said he's "about the same" or "not much bigger". Now you are stating that even if he stayed the same, he would have had decent gains.

That's what I've stated. By your own testimony of the pictures.

I have stated numerous times that I think he has gained some small amount of muscle mass. I also referenced the pictures with respect to the areas he was referring to (arms, shoulders, chest) and stated that I didn't see a massive difference. At what point did I say he would have had decent gains to stay the same? Also decent gains in what?

You STILL haven't answered my question.
    For the record, I stated that for every 10lb's of LM. you gain you will gain 1 inch in your arms. That is not saying you wont also gain LM. feom that same 10lb.s in other parts of your body aswell. But like I also stated, in my opinion, different people have different genetics, different genetic potential and different body types, height,length of arms, legs etc. So in my opinion its a cookie cutter statement.
    I did reference your original quote, if you're saying that 10lbs total muscle mass gain will result in a 1 inch increase to arm circumference that's different. I hope you can recognize how I would take it to mean the other since the only measurement you listed was arms. That being said, that sort of statement is, frankly, completely untrue. Body sizes are different from person to person. 10 lbs is going to have more of an effect on a smaller framed person than the larger. I thought 10lbs just in the arms to be an over generalization as it was, but if it's across the whole body it's a completely useless measurement.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I've been lifting for several years. I am not bulked up looking, but I have always gone to the gym regularly since college. So far, I have been able to maintain my currently lifting during my weight loss. I do supplement with whey protein before and after weight lifting (110 calories each before and after). I only lift twice a week as I am 57 years old. But I still can bench 305 pounds and leg press 500 pounds. I will worry about gaining muscle mass after I lose another 15-20 pounds. I did lose a little strength until I added the supplements right before and after my workouts.

This might be psychological only, but I will take it either way. I always been called a mental case by my friends anyway.

I take supplements too and have thought the same thing. If it works though, stick with it!
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I used his arms because that's what he referenced. Why would I think he only gained in his arms and not everywhere else?

Question is do you think he's smaller? You didn't think so. You only said he's "about the same" or "not much bigger". Now you are stating that even if he stayed the same, he would have had decent gains.

That's what I've stated. By your own testimony of the pictures.

I have stated numerous times that I think he has gained some small amount of muscle mass. I also referenced the pictures with respect to the areas he was referring to (arms, shoulders, chest) and stated that I didn't see a massive difference. At what point did I say he would have had decent gains to stay the same? Also decent gains in what?

You STILL haven't answered my question.
    For the record, I stated that for every 10lb's of LM. you gain you will gain 1 inch in your arms. That is not saying you wont also gain LM. feom that same 10lb.s in other parts of your body aswell. But like I also stated, in my opinion, different people have different genetics, different genetic potential and different body types, height,length of arms, legs etc. So in my opinion its a cookie cutter statement.
    I did reference your original quote, if you're saying that 10lbs total muscle mass gain will result in a 1 inch increase to arm circumference that's different. I hope you can recognize how I would take it to mean the other since the only measurement you listed was arms. That being said, that sort of statement is, frankly, completely untrue. Body sizes are different from person to person. 10 lbs is going to have more of an effect on a smaller framed person than the larger. I thought 10lbs just in the arms to be an over generalization as it was, but if it's across the whole body it's a completely useless measurement.
    Yes 10lbs total will increase the size of both arms by 1 inch. No, I completely understand, trying to keep up with the reply's was hard and I rushed a lot of repsonses and could have did a better job putting my thoughts etc. into words.
    Also like I said I do not know how accurare that statement was, I read it on the net numerous times when guys asked questions about increasing the size of their arms etc. and never seen anyone dispute it.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options

Wow!! Great job!! I hope I can bench 305 lbs and leg press 500 lbs at 57!!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    To me, to have lost that much weight AND to have added 1" to his arms, means what? Little gain? Ave gain? Big gains?

You've never really mentioned exactly what you considered "small" gains.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    To me, to have lost that much weight AND to have added 1" to his arms, means what? Little gain? Ave gain? Big gains?

You still haven't answered my question.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Yeah keep on that line of tact. Keeps you from actually answering the above.

Might want to repeat that question. I'll consider it.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I understand the concept behind eating at a surplus to build lean muscle mass, but I also can't dismiss the fact that it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat on a calorie deficit either. I have to ask... I have been eating at a deficit for 34 months and have lost 304 lbs. I have read that some think the OP had this muscle already and just uncovered it when he lost the weight. If that was true than your telling me that I had all this muscle already and that my 560 lbs, was just covering it up??? I find that very hard to believe.....

Im speechless.....fantastic work , you are amazing !!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I understand the concept behind eating at a surplus to build lean muscle mass, but I also can't dismiss the fact that it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat on a calorie deficit either. I have to ask... I have been eating at a deficit for 34 months and have lost 304 lbs. I have read that some think the OP had this muscle already and just uncovered it when he lost the weight. If that was true than your telling me that I had all this muscle already and that my 560 lbs, was just covering it up??? I find that very hard to believe.....

2012-03-31_08-39-35_376.jpg

I don't care what you lost or gained. You look amazing. You are inspiration for the morbid obese folks. Kept the one pic. Look at that face!!! Look at that pride and confidence!! The gleam in your eyes say it all!!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

I've answered a number of questions that you posed., My question to you was exactly how much muscle do you think he gained. A vast majority of your argument has been to pose short questions to others without providing any answers of your own.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

I've answered a number of questions that you posed., My question to you was exactly how much muscle do you think he gained. A vast majority of your argument has been to pose short questions to others without providing any answers of your own.

You want an exact number? LMAO. I think he gained what HE SAID HE GAINED. For instance, his arms. What a nonsense question that is.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    You want an exact number? LMAO. I think he gained what HE SAID HE GAINED. For instance, his arms. What a nonsense question that is.

It's not a nonsense question. He didn't list an exact amount because he doesn't know it, which is fair. You laughed at 10lbs as a massive gain, so what do you think it would be more like. You say that substantial growth is needed to up your bench 150lbs, so in what gain would that make sense? I don't need an exact as in that's definitely what he gained, just what do you think would make sense.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I see the debate is still going strong. Just to let everyone know, I am starting to lift heavy and eating at a deficit, hoping to provide first-hand evidence soon that the topic of this thread is TRUE! :happy:
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    10 lbs is NOT a big gain overall. But you thought he gained 10l s per arm. Cosidering the weight me lost and his comments on size after the weight loss, I think must have maintained a big amount of muscle as well gained in some areas. Look how much weight lost and how much muscle that accompanies that much loss. That tells me he has to gain a good amount just to stay the same size
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    I see the debate is still going strong. Just to let everyone know, I am starting to lift heavy and eating at a deficit, hoping to provide first-hand evidence soon that the topic of this thread is TRUE! :happy:
    Glad to hear that your gonna lift heavy!! Just remember to eat ATLEAST one gram of protein for every lb. of body weight and try not to lose more than 1-2 lbs per week. Post your results in a few months! This thread will probably still be going strong!!:bigsmile:
  • Ripken818836701
    Options

2012-03-31_08-39-35_376.jpg

I don't care what you lost or gained. You look amazing. You are inspiration for the morbid obese folks. Kept the one pic. Look at that face!!! Look at that pride and confidence!! The gleam in your eyes say it all!!
    Ed is an inspiration to anyone that is trying to transform their body!!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that your gonna lift heavy!! Just remember to eat ATLEAST one gram of protein for every lb. of body weight and try not to lose more than 1-2 lbs per week. Post your results in a few months! This thread will probably still be going strong!!:bigsmile:

Thanks, I will! I try to get at least 90g of protein on rest days, and 150g on lifting days, and my weight scale progress is pretty slow going, so hopefully that means good things in terms of my body composition changing!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    10 lbs is NOT a big gain overall. But you thought he gained 10l s per arm. Cosidering the weight me lost and his comments on size after the weight loss, I think must have maintained a big amount of muscle as well gained in some areas. Look how much weight lost and how much muscle that accompanies that much loss. That tells me he has to gain a good amount just to stay the same size

You really don't think 10lbs of muscle is a big gain? After I'm done cutting down to 8%/9% BF I think I'll be sitting between 195 and 200 and I'd love to add back 10lbs of muscle and sit at 210lbs @ 8%. I would suspect that's easily an inch to most muscle groups.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of confused as to the point of this. If during weight loss someone increases strength/power/endurance, does it matter if the actual size of the muscle increases?