179lbs lost in one year - with pics

Options
jcearth
jcearth Posts: 46 Member
What a difference a year makes! Last March 9th, my wife and I made the decision to join a gym a get healthy. It was probably a life saving decision. At that time, I weighed a staggering 471 pounds. Now, I am 6'5" and have a large frame, but I was deluded into believing that I just need a "little" bit of work and I would look great. My body, however, was telling a different story. At 36 years old, I was getting chest pains on an almost daily basis, I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without getting extremely winded, and I didn't have the energy to play with my three boys - ages 5, 3, and 2. Something needed to change before it was too late. We decided that if we were going to do this, we had to do it as a family, and support each other 100%, or else it would not work. I was not prepared for the level of support that I received from my family and friends. Literally everyone I talked to about getting healthy and becoming fit pitched in to help me and accomodate my needs on my journey. My wife was alongside me the entire time, and has lost close to 60 pounds herself. Both of my brothers and my father have trained with me, and my older brother and I have run a half marathon together. I have been truly blessed by their support. Currently, I am training for the New Jersey Marathon on May 6th, and I have long runs up to 16 miles so far in preparation, but it all began with a 30 minute walk exactly one year ago. Every day I pushed myself a little bit more, and made sure I made good food decisions. I started around 2100 calories a day, and gradually increased my calories as my activity level increased. Never once did I go hungry or feel deprived of food. It was simply a matter of making the right choice when it came to calories. I would just like to tell everyone out there who are just beginning on their journey, or who are struggling and don't think they can do it, that it is possible. You just have to believe, and want it badly enough, and most importantly, show up every day to fight the battle. You may not win the fight every day, but if you keep coming back to try, it will happen. Below are some pictures of me from a year ago and today:

2009over450pounds.jpg

christmas2010-1.jpg

march92011at471pounds-1.jpg

bravesgameaug2010.jpg

179poundslostinoneyear-3.jpg

179poundslostinoneyear-1-1.jpg

179poundslostinoneyear-2.jpg

7980302.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    you look amazing! I bet you feel great, and I LOVE the t-shirt, have many myself, lol.
    Great job!!!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! You look great! Yay for Angry Birds!
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    wow! you look fantastic! you are an inspiration! :)
  • shaunl669
    shaunl669 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Holy *kitten*!!!! WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!!

You Sir, are an inspiration, awesome job. You must feel really great about yourself. Thanks for posting.
  • Arrica
    Arrica Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That's awesome and amazing!! Well done!!
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    This is amazing! Well Done! Well Done!
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    "Show up everyday" LOVE THAT....
  • grnice
    grnice Posts: 96
    Options
    YOU ROCK!!! Thank you so much for posting that. I have a significant amount of weight to lose and your story gives me hope! I think I've always failed in the past because I try to "diet" so strict and when I eat something bad for me I give up and then blow the rest of the week and gain weight back. It's such a vicious cycle. I love what you say about not winning the fight everyday but to keep coming back.

You look great and I'm sure you feel great also. Congrats on all your hard work and your marathons!
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    omg wow! well done, love your story, well done to your wife too!
  • Coupmama
    Coupmama Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow, what an inspiring story! Great job and you're so fortunate to have your family supporting you every step of your journey.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    AMAZING JOB! you are an inspiration to us all!
  • Shawndra1973
    Shawndra1973 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!! I am very proud of you! Keep working toward your goal!
  • Tara1090
    Tara1090 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Amazing! what a transformation!!!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Wow great job buddy, Keep it up :)
  • anna_conn
    Options
    AMAZING!! I'll let it go that you're wearing a Braves shirt because you look so good. ;) Seriously, congrats! It's inspiring to see other succeed!
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    dang what a champ! i admire your dedication! well done.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You look fab.. Well done on your incredible journey x
  • belladonna_3k
    Options
    Great job :-) What exactly did you do to get such amazing results?
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    Amazing job!!! Good Luck May 6th!!! Your an inspiration to us all!
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You look great. Thanks for the motivation!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!