conditions require immediate medical
    attention.
    To avoid over-hydration, carefully
    monitor fluid and sodium intake when
    perspiring heavily (such as with athletic
    training, strenuous work) or when ill.
    This article explores over-hydration
    and water intoxication.

it takes A LOT of water to over-hydrate.
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    Dont give up! You can do this! Eating all that crap wont solv lifes poblems. I found that out the hard way. The gym will make you feel so much better. Go do some kickboxing and will drain all of that negative energy right out of you.
    I just found out today that I am diabetic and I do not know what to do. I love those doctors that just tell you that you have this diagnosis but dont tell you how to live with it or control it.

I am sorry about your diagnosis. I have Type I diabetes. I was diagnosed in 6th grade when I was 11. If your doctors don't help you to tell you how to live with conditions like these and how to control them, it is time to get new doctors. Seriously. You just say, "Sorry, I need to do what is best for me" and go find yourself a new set of doctors who care about your ability to take care of yourself and will help you through it. It's not a fun transition, but sometimes it is necessary.

I have juvie diabetes caused by a pancreatic illness when I was a baby.

Get an Endocrinologist is your first step because diabetes can cause serious hormonal damage and and other problems that the Endocrinologist have been trained to handle. You should see him/her every six months!

Second step, go speak to a nutritionist who's been trained in chronic illnesses. Often, your local wellness community might have diabetic awareness classes for free.

See your eye doctor once a year!!! Glaucoma is serious and you need checked. And Diabetes seriously effects the eyes.

See your dentist every six months!! Just like every other part of your body that becomes effected by diabetes, your teeth will too. And poor teeth leaves to poor heart! Your sugar levels effect your acid levels that effect your teeth.

Get a Gluccometer. 90 percent of insurances cover these for free, and getting strips is the most expensive but for me it only comes out to 13 dollars a year. A Gluccometer is going to be your life line!

Until your diabetes is under control,I recommend doing what my doctor told me.

Record your sugar level when you wake up. Record it again before breakfast. Two hours after breakfast record it again. Record before lunch, two hours after lunch record again, and record before dinner two hours after dinner record again and record before bed. This will show you what food effect your sugar level and how, that way you can make the appropriate changes in your diet safely. Some food don't give you enough and others give you too much. Each person is different so oranges and apples aren't going to effect each person the same way.

Norm fasting levels should be lower 100s and 90s. My fasting level is 90. Anything under 75 us too low, and you need to add a snack in your diet or eat more. After eating, you shouldn't be above 150 after two hours, if you are then what you are eating is too much or the wrong type of food.

As my eye doctor told me, "Diabetes isn't a battle, its a war. It effects every part of your body every day. You will win many battles, and the more battles you win the longer you'll live a healthy life, but the war will never end."

At least that's with me being the fact that there isn't a cure for Juvenile. If you developed diabetes, then you do have a chance to reverse the effect.

Good luck!!
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Dont give up! You can do this! Eating all that crap wont solv lifes poblems. I found that out the hard way. The gym will make you feel so much better. Go do some kickboxing and will drain all of that negative energy right out of you.
    I just found out today that I am diabetic and I do not know what to do. I love those doctors that just tell you that you have this diagnosis but dont tell you how to live with it or control it.

I am sorry about your diagnosis. I have Type I diabetes. I was diagnosed in 6th grade when I was 11. If your doctors don't help you to tell you how to live with conditions like these and how to control them, it is time to get new doctors. Seriously. You just say, "Sorry, I need to do what is best for me" and go find yourself a new set of doctors who care about your ability to take care of yourself and will help you through it. It's not a fun transition, but sometimes it is necessary.

I have juvie diabetes caused by a pancreatic illness when I was a baby.

Get an Endocrinologist is your first step because diabetes can cause serious hormonal damage and and other problems that the Endocrinologist have been trained to handle. You should see him/her every six months!

Second step, go speak to a nutritionist who's been trained in chronic illnesses. Often, your local wellness community might have diabetic awareness classes for free.

See your eye doctor once a year!!! Glaucoma is serious and you need checked. And Diabetes seriously effects the eyes.

See your dentist every six months!! Just like every other part of your body that becomes effected by diabetes, your teeth will too. And poor teeth leaves to poor heart! Your sugar levels effect your acid levels that effect your teeth.

Get a Gluccometer. 90 percent of insurances cover these for free, and getting strips is the most expensive but for me it only comes out to 13 dollars a year. A Gluccometer is going to be your life line!

Until your diabetes is under control,I recommend doing what my doctor told me.

Record your sugar level when you wake up. Record it again before breakfast. Two hours after breakfast record it again. Record before lunch, two hours after lunch record again, and record before dinner two hours after dinner record again and record before bed. This will show you what food effect your sugar level and how, that way you can make the appropriate changes in your diet safely. Some food don't give you enough and others give you too much. Each person is different so oranges and apples aren't going to effect each person the same way.

Norm fasting levels should be lower 100s and 90s. My fasting level is 90. Anything under 75 us too low, and you need to add a snack in your diet or eat more. After eating, you shouldn't be above 150 after two hours, if you are then what you are eating is too much or the wrong type of food.

As my eye doctor told me, "Diabetes isn't a battle, its a war. It effects every part of your body every day. You will win many battles, and the more battles you win the longer you'll live a healthy life, but the war will never end."

At least that's with me being the fact that there isn't a cure for Juvenile. If you developed diabetes, then you do have a chance to reverse the effect.

Good luck!!

Everything you said is really great (like I mentioned I'm type I) and once again I wish her luck in waging and winning the war. That was a great analogy. I'll have to remember that. Interesting that there are at least 3 of us here who are diabetics - two of us from much earlier in life.
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    Oh man. Well today started off interesting. after about *maybe* 4 hours of sleep, i awoke to what sounded like my house crashing down on me. Don't worry...it was just thunder. lol. It was POURING. Luckily, right before the time mom and i had decided to go for a walk, it stopped raining. And while we were walking, the sun came out! We had a good walk! almost 2 miles! I am SO tired though. I live in a very hilly area, so it was 2 miles of up and down hills...now there are muscles in my legs twitching. lol. well i had a good breakfast of oatmeal and turkey bacon, and that good walk. But i'm concerned about my sleep. i have either barely slept or not slept well the past three nights...any suggestions? i need to do something, otherwise i'm afraid it will really affect all my weight-loss attempts...

good luck everyone! (time to start chugging water!!)

My day started out wonderful! The sun is out and no rain to be seen. We have had 4 days of nothing but rain and wind so this is a nice change. Today is suppose to be my day off but I have to help my husband run the little shop that his family owns. It will keep me from the fridge!

I had problems with not sleeping as well past couple of weeks. I found out that I can not exercise at least 2 hours before I go to sleep. I guess the exercise gives me a second wind. Although my mind is exausted.
    Awesome job on the walk this morning! Hills are tiring. We have hills around here too and boy they kill me everytime I walk them. I keep thinking to myself will they ever get any easier!

Have an awesome day everyone! I better go and chug some water!

Yeah, we've had nothing but rain except for yesterday. it was beautiful. it is trying to be sunny outside right now, but more rain is coming :sad:
    I will try not exercising at night for a few nights and see how i feel. i had to run an errand today after my walk, and on the way back i was so tired i couldn't keep my eyes open. so i just woke up from a good little nap :bigsmile:

good luck on the water! i've been kinda slacking today....:ohwell:
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    wow this team is so supportive :] i love it!! lol.... man o man... i started off today horible... i ate fast food and now my stomach is regreting it... but im punishing myself with only eating whatever calories are left... and now im going to have to do triple work out... :[ it was good though... but the after feeling wasnt worth the good
  • jlhcrh3
    Options
    wow this team is so supportive :] i love it!! lol.... man o man... i started off today horible... i ate fast food and now my stomach is regreting it... but im punishing myself with only eating whatever calories are left... and now im going to have to do triple work out... :[ it was good though... but the after feeling wasnt worth the good

that's ok! we're all gonna fall every now and then, just as long as you get back up! if you eat the right things, you can eat a lot on very few calories. but we are here for you! you can do it!

so since you had fast food, did you have to go buy those new pants? :laugh:
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Yeah don't feel too bad about the fast food. I just caved and ate chocolate although I told myself I wasn't going to eat chocolate all week. So much for that... We're all here for each other. You can do it. :)
  • hurleycutie142
    Options

that's ok! we're all gonna fall every now and then, just as long as you get back up! if you eat the right things, you can eat a lot on very few calories. but we are here for you! you can do it!

so since you had fast food, did you have to go buy those new pants? :laugh:

no but im watching every move and not going to the gym... im going to work out here so if i do something if i need to change i can lol.. o am i scared...
  • JustAnotherGirl
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!! Well it is a scorcher here in AZ, so I guess I will be running again on the treadmill tonight. Last night I ran 5.4 miles and it felt great....hopefully I have the same kind of run again tonight. I am working out extra hard today, because I know that tomorrow is going to be a cheat day (we are taking my mom out to her favorite resturant that has the most awesome bread for Mothers Day!) I have been really good about drinking my 8 glasses of water and hope to keep it that way!

On a different note...what kind of workout is everyone doing? I am currently on week 9 of a 13 week running program and I also do JM's 30 Day Shred. I like to hear what others do as well!!:flowerforyou:
  • andrea09
    andrea09 Posts: 124
    Options
    All of you are so supportive! I had a hard time catching up with all of the posts. :blushing: I guess that is what I get for being away too long. lol
    Thanks for all the great info on the diabetes. It is a whole diffent lifestyle than I am use to. But all of the information I have gotten will for sure put me on the right track.

I love to do the treadmill and the bike. For strength training I do the JM's 30 day shred. It is a killer but gotta love it.

Where can you find a running program?
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options

I actually calculate eating out when I go out and try to make smart decisions. Like, instead of a number one at McDonald's, I order a chicken nugget kids meal with apple dippers and milk. That's only about 400 calories, so over all that's not bad.

I wouldn't sweat it when eating out too much, this isn't a diet, its a lifestyle change, don't be so critical on yourself, you'll do great! :wink:
  • deb03
    deb03 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hello Everyone. I am sorry that I haven't been on here to keep up with everyone's post. But it is hard because I don't have internet on regular basis.
    This week has been from you know where. I have this huge sweet tooth, and I need to stop eating all of the crap. I have been maintaining between these two numbers on the scale and I am sick of it. I am not sure what is wrong with me, but I just can't get out of the two's. I NEED HELP.... And you know what the worst part of it is, that I am paying so much for the sweets that I eat, but does that stop me. This is how sick I am...
    I just have this sweet tooth problem. I want to be out of the two's. This last week I jogged 7.46 miles and I have been sore for a few days now as to where I can't workout... Plus then I pulled a hamstring and it kills me to do anything, it is getting better. I am going to go walking tomorrow so I will see how that goes.

I just need support and motivation because right now I am not sure what is my problem. For the last few weeks I have been working out in the morning at 5:00 a.m. and then I go to work. You know how good it feels to workout and then feel refreshed all day long. I have been miserable because I haven't been able to workout. I feel fat and disgusted with myself. We have had teacher appreciation week at school and there has been nothing but sweets and do I help the situation, NO, i go and buy pies for my mom's birthday and bring them to school. But I was very proud of myself I didn't touch the pies.... It was hard but I resisted.... I am going to be starting on fresh week. So I am saying this now I am probably not going to have a very good weigh in... but you know what that is fine. I know where I am and I know what I need to change.....
    I hope that everyone has a great weekend and makes great food choices and drink your water. Welcome to everyone that has joined the RED team.... I am looking forward to everyone's posts and encouragements and support from each other is helping each of us with our daily frustrations that involve food.
    I need to start turning this around now, or I am going to be gaining my 34 lbs back real quick... One thing is that you can't let stress trigger your food choices or consumption, and I have had some stress going on that apparently has triggered my eating habits.
    Well, I hope that everyone has a good night... talk to you all later....
  • jlhcrh3
    Options
    Hello Everyone. I am sorry that I haven't been on here to keep up with everyone's post. But it is hard because I don't have internet on regular basis.
    This week has been from you know where. I have this huge sweet tooth, and I need to stop eating all of the crap. I have been maintaining between these two numbers on the scale and I am sick of it. I am not sure what is wrong with me, but I just can't get out of the two's. I NEED HELP.... And you know what the worst part of it is, that I am paying so much for the sweets that I eat, but does that stop me. This is how sick I am...
    I just have this sweet tooth problem. I want to be out of the two's. This last week I jogged 7.46 miles and I have been sore for a few days now as to where I can't workout... Plus then I pulled a hamstring and it kills me to do anything, it is getting better. I am going to go walking tomorrow so I will see how that goes.

I just need support and motivation because right now I am not sure what is my problem. For the last few weeks I have been working out in the morning at 5:00 a.m. and then I go to work. You know how good it feels to workout and then feel refreshed all day long. I have been miserable because I haven't been able to workout. I feel fat and disgusted with myself. We have had teacher appreciation week at school and there has been nothing but sweets and do I help the situation, NO, i go and buy pies for my mom's birthday and bring them to school. But I was very proud of myself I didn't touch the pies.... It was hard but I resisted.... I am going to be starting on fresh week. So I am saying this now I am probably not going to have a very good weigh in... but you know what that is fine. I know where I am and I know what I need to change.....
    I hope that everyone has a great weekend and makes great food choices and drink your water. Welcome to everyone that has joined the RED team.... I am looking forward to everyone's posts and encouragements and support from each other is helping each of us with our daily frustrations that involve food.
    I need to start turning this around now, or I am going to be gaining my 34 lbs back real quick... One thing is that you can't let stress trigger your food choices or consumption, and I have had some stress going on that apparently has triggered my eating habits.

I understand, i have that same vicious sweet tooth. no, i take that back. ALL my teeth are sweet teeth! lol. it has been so hard, but i have found some ways of curbing that crave without feeling so bad about it. For instance, fat free sugar free jello instant pudding. you just mix it with milk and voila! (except you have to be sure to just the serving size, lol) sometimes i have a skinny cow ice cream sandwich. they are a little more calories than the pudding, but good for that ice cream craving. there are discussions about this in the forum, with lots more ideas on how to keep that sweet tooth at bay. good luck, and know that the red team's got your back!

also, i heard this on the biggest loser: "Nothing tastes as good as fit feels!"
    but i modify it to fit my body right now: "Nothing tastes as good as fit WILL feel!"

and don't feel bad. my weigh-in will be interesting too because it won't even be a week for me yet, lol

here's a topic about those pesky cravings! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/52352-cravings-emotional-eating
  • hurleycutie142
    Options
    ya i keep thinking about this being a lifetime thing instead of a quick fix because i usually lose a lot of weight and gain it right back faster then i lost it...
  • hurleycutie142
    Options

first off let me tell u and im not trying to affend u or be mean but ur having a horrible mental battle... remember ur brain controls everything!! tell ur self no! with everything we have decisions... and with those decisions may come consequences.... think long and hard how bad u want this...

this is ur assignment... go online and pick out an outfit or a person or like me a bathing suit that u wouldnt look good in unless u lost weight... it gives u a goal to push foward to... if u have kids think about u living a long life to see ur kids grow up... so forth and so on!! u have to want it!!!

and there are a lot of work out that dont require direct contact with ur hamstring... do the elipitical... it gives u running motions without putting pressure on it... when i pulled my hammy i went swimming a lot and ran in the pool with the resistance of the pool... but i live in cali so theres pool available to me... i dont know where ur at lol...
  • jlhcrh3
    Options
    well..i started the day off good, but ended it not as good..
    i didn't make the 8 glasses of water. i only got 6 :cry:
    and i was making some diabetic-friendly (or so the site says that i got them off of) cookies for a cookout tomorrow and i splurged a little. i didn't go over my calories...but i still feel guilty now. lol. oh well, tomorrows another day! i have already planned another morning walk (unless it decides to pour again :grumble: )

good luck tomorrow everyone!
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options

Increase your protein intake. Sometimes, its not sweet that you're craving but protein. And instead of sweets like candy and cakes, try and grab an orange. They'll fulfill your sweet craving, but aren't as fattening because they have complex sugars and not simple sugars like cake.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Hi all is it too late to join this team? I was a member of the original Red Team in January but they fizzled out about February so I lost my team and was posting but talking to myself mostly LOL! I can give you my starting weight after I go to the gym to weigh today. I am starting back with MFP after about 2 months off. I was taking 3 classes towards my MEd plus teaching full time and got way off track and gained my weight back (I think since I haven't weighed in that time). I am down to only one class this quarter at least until school is out in June so I can manage the load a lot better. I am not diabetic but I am reactive hypoglycemic so I have to watch my sugars too so I think I can benefit from this team.:flowerforyou: Here's to getting back on track!:drinker:
  • andrea09
    andrea09 Posts: 124
    Options
    Happy Saturday everyone! I am happy to see everyone is one here and so supportive. I have to work today so I am stuck indoors. :grumble: The weather is so wonderful here today.
    I am going to go and celebrate my mother -in laws birthday today. There will be cake and I am NOT going to touch any of it! Deb03 is my sister in law and we are going to work on this together! Right Deb???
    Have a wonderful Saturday everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    I wanted to go for a walk today, but it was storming so bad here that it made me all depressed. I want to buy the wii and get wii fit, but I have to wait til my next paycheck to even think about it. Has anyone ever played wii fit? Is it any good? I've heard positive reviews from my friends that it is really fun and gets you going.