Things people do at the gym that you hate

Options

Replies

• Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Hmm I really don't get annoyed too much at the gym. I guess it's one of the benefits to living in a small town. Usually when I go there's only like 4 other people in there, if that.

The only thing that does annoy me a little is when guys sit around on the benches and such and just talk to eachother or show eachother stupid videos on their phones.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Many of the complaints I'm reading here is the exact reason I love Planet Fitness. They have a lot of rules, but honestly they are rules that I think should be common sense and help guard against these horribly annoying people.

1) They don't allow slamming weights down, dropping them, yelling out when you lift to show how big and brawny you are.

2) They zip-tie the cleaning bottles to the garbage can, so you have no choice but to spray the paper towel and leave the bottle. I used to HATE when 4 of the 5 bottles were gone at one station because some people think their *kitten* don't stink and are allowed to hog them for themselves.

3) They have signs all over requesting patrons to use their cell phones outside or in the lobby.

4) They have a big sign stating that the 30 minute express circuit training is for just that or you're subject to having your membership revoked. I love this....it used to make my blood boil to be in there and see people jumping around from machine to machine, going the wrong way or coming in to use one or two machines and leaving. If you don't want to start and stop according to the traffic light, go in a counter-clockwise rotation or use ALL or almost all of the machines, go use the IDENTICAL ONES out on the main floor that don't come with rules.

Of course there are still the people with the overpowering perfume or people who get on the machine/locker/shower right next to yours when there are tons of others available, and the people who do nothing but walk around the gym trolling for the opposit sex, but seriously Planet Fitness really does a good job of cutting down on the annoyances.
    We have similar rules and most people follow them. I have had a couple of members get their membership revoked because of violations. All in all I love my gym and the people, but there are some that are just jackholes. Keeps it interesting, I guess!
  • AWME
    AWME Posts: 12
    Options
    People who change in the bathroom stall instead of *anywhere* else in the locker room, just before a class starts. Hogging up the bathroom stall isn't real nice at 1628, when class starts at 1630. So those of us who have already changed and just have to pee before class wait for the stall changers to take their sweet time changing in there... and then have to hustle to get to class. Inconsiderate.
  • 42kgirl
    Options
    People who change in the bathroom stall instead of *anywhere* else in the locker room, just before a class starts. Hogging up the bathroom stall isn't real nice at 1628, when class starts at 1630. So those of us who have already changed and just have to pee before class wait for the stall changers to take their sweet time changing in there... and then have to hustle to get to class. Inconsiderate.
    I don't get that either. It's kind of gross, really.
  • vidoardes
    vidoardes Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I hate going to the gym 'cause everyone there is really grumpy and moody.... :laugh: :tongue:
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I hate (HATE) when people are talking on their cell phones while on the treadmill or elliptical right next to me. If it's that important go out into the lobby or locker room or something. Jesus.

Yes absolutely; I get having an "important" phone call but otherwise leave it in your car or locker. Some people argue, 'well I use my phone as my i-pod/mp3 player' ok fine but don't talk on it constantly or text when you're supposedly working out.

Okay, what do you care if they text? I can see talking being annoying.. I get annoyed when people talk loudly at the gym generally. But texting doesn't make any noise, so honestly, why would you care? I get as annoyed at obnoxious things people do as much as the next girl-- probably more, actually-- but that's just dumb.

A guy was on an elliptical next to me last night and was making the CREEPIEST low breathing noises. He wasn't even pushing it, either! It was disturbing.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    the buffer zone thing!

Oh, and coming in full hair and make-up, fake eye-lashes and itty bitty booty shorts and halter tanks and walking a snails pace on the treadmill. Dude I want my cardio, if you want to be seen, go to a freaking club, you'll get more of a work out dancing than put-putting around on the treadmill like that anyway.

Last one - the people that ignore the 2 hour rule on the treadmills.
  • loislane22
    Options
    I hate going to the gym 'cause everyone there is really grumpy and moody.... :laugh: :tongue:

^^^
    Hahahaha, agree!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Naked conversationalists in the locker room. Although on lady is a walking billboard for why you SHOULD to strength training. Every part on her sags so badly.. . she motivates me to keep up with my lifting!!

The guy who must think his wife works here to clean up his puddles of sweat when he moves on to a different station.

People with an "I'm awesome" attitude.
  • BarefootBrendan
    Options
    Not very much annoys me but this does. Its just plain and simple rude. I think it reflects their education, plain and simple :)
  • ltinsley52974
    Options
    THE FAN! I hate when people go onto the treadmill or the elliptical machine and turn the fan towards ME!!!! I go to the gym to sweat not to look pretty. I am not one of those people who sweat until I run at least 2 miles first. I want to sweat so DO NOT TURN THE FAN ON ME!!

14209314.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • loislane22
    Options
    the buffer zone thing!

Oh, and coming in full hair and make-up, fake eye-lashes and itty bitty booty shorts and halter tanks and walking a snails pace on the treadmill. Dude I want my cardio, if you want to be seen, go to a freaking club, you'll get more of a work out dancing than put-putting around on the treadmill like that anyway.

Last one - the people that ignore the 2 hour rule on the treadmills.

I found that annoying as well, its distracting, then they get mad when you stare at them because of their ridiculous outfits. I will admit I always wore foundation to the gym because my face is super gross and i have adult acne.
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    Agreed!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it was a California thing but when I was in the LA area, I tried a local YMCA and I opened the door to the womans bathroom/locker room and it was just full of naked women. I'm from Mass, and never have I ever seen this or heard of this happening. I did not go back to that gym.
    Another thing that bothers me is when people use gym equipment as a coat rack or a place to keep their gym bag. wtf?
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    When big, strong guys don't re-rack their friggin weights!!! LAZY, RUDE, JERKS!! I'm plenty strong enough to sling those stupid 45-lb plates around, but it's just rude. You lift it, you re-rack it!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    For me the peanuts that take the one spray bottle walk to the machine and spray and proceed to wipe HELLO!!! spray the paper towel leave the bottle for everyone else and piss off!

The people don't that believe in a buffer zone in the locker room or shower!

If there are 10 lockers in a row free DONT USE THE ONE NEXT TO ME BUFFER ZONE!!!!!

If there are 5 showers in a row free DONT USE THE ONE NEXT TO ME BUFFER ZONE!!!!!

just a couple of things that tick me off :)

I'm suddenly reminded of this:
    http://macromeme.com/cat/troll-urinal.png
  • 42kgirl
    Options
    Best one yet!
  • loislane22
    Options
    When big, strong guys don't re-rack their friggin weights!!! LAZY, RUDE, JERKS!! I'm plenty strong enough to sling those stupid 45-lb plates around, but it's just rude. You lift it, you re-rack it!

WOW! You look amazing!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I hate people who use the squat cage for stupid stuff. If you aren't squatting or deadlifting or some variation... get the hell out of my cage and go somewhere else!

Also, I hate it when guys offer to take weight of the bar for me. I appreciate the chivalry, but I want that weight there. And if I don't, I damn well better be able to move it.
  • 42kgirl
    Options
    Naked conversationalists in the locker room. Although on lady is a walking billboard for why you SHOULD to strength training. Every part on her sags so badly.. . she motivates me to keep up with my lifting!!

The guy who must think his wife works here to clean up his puddles of sweat when he moves on to a different station.

People with an "I'm awesome" attitude.
    I just wanted you to know how awesome I am. :happy:
    I hate working at our location with the pool. The older gals, God bless 'em, love to talk to me after aqua class. They look like upright Sharpei's and it's a bit distracting.
    We have that guy. I hand him a towel and politely ask him to mop his own nastiness up. It took a while, but he finally got it.