Let's talk about...the Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread; it was necessary.

Bumping so I can read through all of the studies later (I'm doing homework at the moment – or I should be, at least).

also read the BS in the study.

Which study, specifically? Or all of them? I believe there are a couple that have been posted here...

(You know what? Homework can wait.)

ETA: For the record, I do not follow the Paleo diet, nor am I convinced of its claims at this point.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread; it was necessary.

Bumping so I can read through all of the studies later (I'm doing homework at the moment – or I should be, at least).

also read the BS in the study.

Then you think the Paleo diet is BS, that study was part of the basis of Cordain's book

I don't care about the diet, or the studies, or low carb, high carb, or any of that crap... i am here for the bashing... what's the bashing of the diet for??? I can bash too...

Strong reading comprehension, now go back and read the post
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

I think this is the one I have been quoting. The macro nutrient ratios described, are unrealistic. http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Eaton Paleo Nutri Review EJCN.pdf

FTA:
    Rural Chinese consume up to 77 g of fiber per day (Campbell & Chen, 1994) and estimates from 60±120 g/d have been made for rural Africans (Burkitt, 1983).

Just because it doesn't jibe with your (extremely limited) experience, doesn't make it "unrealistic".
  • theoriginaljayne
    Options
    "Fruits, roots, legumes, nuts, and other non-cereals provided 65-70% of the average forager subsistence base."
    (From http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Eaton Paleo Nutri Review EJCN.pdf)

If I'm not mistaken, followers of the Paleo diet consider legumes to be forbidden, yet this study suggests that legumes were, in fact, regularly consumed by Paleolithic humans.

I'm now curious to know what Paleo eaters' rationale is for avoiding legumes.
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you don't do the Paleo Diet then why do you care? Why can't we just let people eat how they want to eat? Most true followers of the Paleo diet do it as a way of life. Not just to lose weight or lose fat. I personally do not believe that all-you-can-eat bacon is good for you, but do not critisize people that choose to follow Atkins.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    If you don't do the Paleo Diet then why do you care? Why can't we just let people eat how they want to eat?

Because many paleo initiates like to make unsubstantiated claims about the health benefits of the diet, and tend to demonize perfectly healthy foods.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think the 'appeal' of the paleo diet is because it's exciting and a "let's play pretend!" way of making a healthy lifestyle change by choosing better foods and moving more often. I know a couple of friends and coworkers who are/have been paleo, and that's just what I gathered from their reasons of choosing the diet. Most people following a paleo diet seem to know like ONE scientific face relating to Paleo diet, and the rest is all about emotions, feelings, and losing weight (a byproduct of eater better and less, and exercise). I'm no scientist and I don't have much on the facts side of this. I'm curious to see if anyone who actually follows a Paleo diet has any studies or evidence SPECIFICALLY referring to the Paleo diet. People brag about it a lot but they don't seem to have a lot to back it up. Sorry if I offended anyone following this diet, I realize I am generalizing and it might not apply to everyone >.<
  • HeaderAutumn
    Options
    So just turning the tables?

But really, to have a true scientific discussion one must be open to any outcome and review materials from both sides of the arguement.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

But really, to have a true scientific discussion one must be open to any outcome and review materials from both sides of the arguement.

Pretty much the point of the thread, ne?
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Non-scientific personal opinion of someone who has never tried the diet:

......If you aren't hunting or gathering it...you're doing it wrong.

LOL :bigsmile:

What about an extension of this?

What about the Paleo women vs men diet?
    Women were not generally hunters... so did they eat different than the Paleo men? :glasses:

Seriously now:
    I think the discussion on Paleo starts off the wrong track, making the assumption it is actually good to eat like our ancestors during a specific period did.

Humans are the product of millions of years of evolution, but the basic digestive system has been in place long before the Paleo era,
    That means to me the digestive system was optimized for other food than the Paleo men were eating.

So did the Paelo got it wrong, when eating meat for example? :smokin:
  • HeaderAutumn
    Options
    Point one for you
  • HeaderAutumn
    Options
    And how do we actually know that women weren't also hunters? Were they to busy having cramps and trying on new lion skin dresses? :tongue:
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    Two points for those that believe that 10,000 years is too short a time to adapt to "non-Paleo" foods (grains, dairy, etc.).

1. Micro-organisms evolve at a very rapid rate.
    2. Gut-flora plays a significant role in digestion.
  • Precious75134
    Precious75134 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love your mile marker....:glasses:
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    And how do we actually know that women weren't also hunters? Were they to busy having cramps and trying on new lion skin dresses? :tongue:

Division of labor: somebody had to take care of the babies ! :bigsmile:

But my main point was not that, of course.

The big question for me, that needs to be answered, is:
    Why do we want to eat like the Paleo did?
    Anything that tells us that was a superior way, than what pre-Paleo (or post-Paleo) humans did?
  • theoriginaljayne
    Options
    The big question for me, that needs to be answered, is:
    Why do we want to eat like the Paleo did?
    Anything that tells us that was a superior way, than what pre-Paleo (or post-Paleo) humans did?

+1
  • HeaderAutumn
    Options
    Scientific research brought us Microwaves, Cool Whip, Donuts, Spam, and Trans fats. I will take personal anecdote anyday of the week. :bigsmile: But seriously, so many people have food intolerances and allergies these days. The cleaner a food is, it seems to me, the less people have these intolerances and allergic reactions.

Having said this I would slap my grandmother in the face for a can of squirt cheese...
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    !!!!!!!!!!
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You know, wasn't the lifespan of a caveman something ridiculously low like 30 years old?

I'm not sure I want to follow that diet...

I know this is a mistake, I should have learned my lesson earlier today on the other Paleo thread...

Yes, the lifespan was 30ys HOWEVER, scientists have found very little evidence of heart disease, diabetes, and other illnesses associated with being unhealthy. The general consensus among scientists is that they simply died early due to a lack of common over the counter medications to prevent infections or provide proper hygiene. Things like that.
  • theoriginaljayne
    Options
    Scientific research brought us Microwaves, Cool Whip, Donuts, Spam, and Trans fats. I will take personal anecdote anyday of the week. :bigsmile: But seriously, so many people have food intolerances and allergies these days. The cleaner a food is, it seems to me, the less people have these intolerances and allergic reactions.

Were it not for scientific research, we wouldn't know what Paleolithic humans ate in the first place, nor would we understand nutrition to the extent that we do today.

I'm not a fan of cool whip or Spam either, but don't blame science.