"Dirty and high carb eating"! Works for me!

Options
12346»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I just totally realized that I haven't had a beer all year. I gave up drinking by age 33 because I got partied out and didn't think I needed to drink to have a good time anymore. I think I drink 2 beers a year. But of course that countered by my eating 1800 calories when I go watch a movie.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    This is definitely going to happen on my Disney Cruise this summer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So down 17lbs. while still having "dirty" foods and a good amount of carbs. The "clean eating" may happen on my last couple of pounds, but till then I continue to eat like I always have.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    So down 17lbs. while still having "dirty" foods and a good amount of carbs. The "clean eating" may happen on my last couple of pounds, but till then I continue to eat like I always have.

IDEA Fitness member

walking the walk :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

walking the walk :smile:
    Thanks. What is irking a couple of people, whom I see everyday at the gym, is when they ask about my cardio regimen. When I told them I cut it back to just 2 times a week and just changed my lifting (to 5x5 program), they almost couldn't believe it. These are some people who hit cardio hard daily and lift a few times a week. NOW they are prodding me for more info. Lol, I may have some new clients when I get back.....................

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump for the dirty eaters
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    My diary's open. I eat healthy, but I do eat a ton of what clean eaters would call crap. I average 350 - 400 g's or carbs a day. Mostly from cornbread & daily ice cream. Toast, white potato, cereal...all part of my daily diet. I managed to lose a lot of weight this way as well as maintain, bulk, & cut. Completely doable.

NOM NOM NOM
  • calisunrise
    Options
    same. like the person above i eat healthy, but at the same time eat a ton of what clean eaters would call crap. i mainly shoot for 150-250g of carbs a day and it works for me
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I eat 100% "dirty" junk foods and between 500g and 900g carbs per day, much of it simple sugars. I've been eating this way for 2 years straight. My bodyfat has never been over 10% during this period. There has been zero cardio done as well.

yes, it has a few minor negative health consequences. For body composition, it doesn't matter much. it actually helps in my case.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Enjoying life is certainly key.

But I would humbly submit that if you've maintained your same physique for 20 years, you don't have the same predispositions that most of us on MFP do. The obesity epidemic in the US? The evidence is pretty clear that the population statistics that keep getting touted, hide the reality of subpopulation variance...which is to say, the changes that have led to increased obesity have only affected the susceptible. Those who weren't susceptible to our national shifts in exercise and dietary habits aren't having any problems with their weight. (hint, hint: its not because they're more disciplined people).

So, I have no doubt it works for you. I've also met people who are incredibly disciplined about their diets (so disciplined that they scare me...I couldn't live that way) yet they are always struggling to keep their weight down. Both of these life experiences are just as real. And the current scientific evidence, both population and clinical/lab studies, backs that up.

(and to clarify, I'm not just talking about metabolic dispositions, but behavioral ones as well. For example, some folks can't eat 2 cookies. Its either none, or a tub. In a different era, when someone had to make cookies, from precious resources, and parcel them out to a large family, a predisposition to "binging" would be moot...there would be no opportunity.)

I was thinking maybe it's easier for OP to maintain. Doesn't take much effort?

Way to downplay or undermine the OPs dedicated efforts over the past 20 years. Talk about trying to knock someone down in order to boost yourself up.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had not read all the crap about how thermodynamics doesn't apply to people with "metabolic issues."

I fully understand that some people are less "carb-tolerant" than others, in terms of their metabolic response. But that doesn't change the calories in < calories out reality. It just means you may lose weight faster on a lower carb diet. If your intake is TRULY less than your burn, you're not going to gain weight, even if every single calorie is from sugar. The problem is when people underestimate their burn, which I think probably happens more often than underestimation of intake in people who exercise regularly. There's so much about metabolism, EPOC, blood lactate, etc., that the average person simply cannot accurately account for, but those things affect calorie burn. When you combine that with having some kind of irregular metabolic response to grain or sugar carbs, it makes it even more difficult to accurately predict calorie burn. You may very well think you are eating at a deficit, but if you are gaining weight, you are NOT eating at a deficit.

The only thing that is really non-linear about the energy balance equation is the fact that your metabolism is a function of your weight. So you cannot operate under the assumption that your BMR is the same at X lbs as it would be at X - 25 lbs or whatever. MFP will update your calorie target as you do your weigh-ins if you tell it to, but it doesn't do it automatically, and if you're one of those people (as I am) who calculate their own calorie targets, macro ratios, etc., then you have to do that part yourself.