40+Club-Making it Work

Options

Replies

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday All! I'd lie and say I'll take some time and read through all the old posts but no way I've been gone too long. I was bone headed and did a little too much post surgery so I've been recuperating in the correct way the last few weeks. Eating healthy and walking but not much else. Luckily the scale hasn't moved (unfortunately that is probably due to lack of weight training). Today I'm starting ChaLean Extreme with a few modifications and I'm training for a 10 mile run in August.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,813 Member
    Options
    duffy! So good to see you!! I'm sorry to hear about your set-back in recovering from your surgery, but it sounds like you are doing better if you are going to start ChaLean today. Take care of yourself.....and please let us know how you are doing.

Welcome home, singfree! Glad to see you arrived home safely from your trip. I hope you had a good time in California.

annaliza, sorry to hear about your thyroid issues. Hopefully the change in medication won't make too much of an impact on your weight loss. You are doing so well right now! P90X really is a great workout regiment, and I highly recommend it if you decide to do it.

Swissmiss, I hope you start feeling better soon. The reaction to that medication sounds awful.

tron, I wish I were with you in Yosemite today! Hope you have/had a great hike.

alf, so happy to hear about your husband. Hopefully this means he'll be slightly more supportive of you. It was touch-and-go with my husband and I during his first month on his journey (I don't think he was quite committed, which I found frustrating since I was spending my time trying to help him), but we're finally getting on the same wave length now. While he's always been supportive of me, it really is great to have somebody else in the household who in thinking about food in a more similar fashion to how I think about food (ice cream excepted, of course). He's working out so much more, and really thinking about what he is putting into his body. My husband, too, is determined to lose more than 2 pounds a week, and we had quite the long talk yesterday about why it is important that he eat enough. I think he's beginning to understand....hopefully! :wink:

I went shopping for new clothes yesterday. I promised myself I wasn't going to do that until I'd had the weight off for six months, but I'm just tired of nothing fitting. I can pull a couple of pairs of my 'skinny' jeans off without unbuttoning them....which isn't necessarily good. :embarassed: During my teens/early 20s when I was this weight (I stayed between 100 and 110 until I was about 27), I was always a size 6 in womens and a size 5/7 in juniors. Yesterday, I bought a couple of size 1s and a size 0! Again, I think this has more to do with clothing manufacturers than it does my actual size, so I found it absolutely nuts.....but I also enjoyed it. But the good thing is having a few pairs of pants lying around that actually fit will probably help me stay more motivated to maintain this weight!

I'm going to be doing a leg workout today (plyometrics) and maybe a little kickboxing after (if I have time). My maintenance plan for eating seems to be working well right now, though I'm still losing a little weight. I'm going to take the calories up by another 50-100 this week and see what happens there, but I feel full and satisfied most the time now, so that's a good sign. And, more importantly, I'm enjoying the food that I'm eating!

Hope everybody has a good Monday. :flowerforyou:
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Thanks Stiring - Gee, if I had known you and Sing would be posting photos I'd have hurried back sooner.:smile: Made it through Burn Circuit 1 today with no major problems. Keeping my fingers crossed I can be back to 100% in no time. Congrats on the clothes shopping! I know exactly what you mean with the change of seasons I pulled out a bunch of fun summer clothes and realized they are too big now - What a great problem to have. :drinker:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I was gonna post that I was happy last week to finally slip into some size 10 slimfitting jeans, but, ahem, Stiring posted:
    I went shopping for new clothes yesterday. I promised myself I wasn't going to do that until I'd had the weight off for six months, but I'm just tired of nothing fitting. I can pull a couple of pairs of my 'skinny' jeans off without unbuttoning them....which isn't necessarily good. :embarassed: During my teens/early 20s when I was this weight (I stayed between 100 and 110 until I was about 27), I was always a size 6 in womens and a size 5/7 in juniors. Yesterday, I bought a couple of size 1s and a size 0! Again, I think this has more to do with clothing manufacturers than it does my actual size, so I found it absolutely nuts.....but I also enjoyed it. But the good thing is having a few pairs of pants lying around that actually fit will probably help me stay more motivated to maintain this weight!

Congratulations!!! That must have felt awesome!!! :flowerforyou:

I've got a ways to go before I get there, if'n ever I do. :blushing:
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    cardigirl, be happy about your size 10 jeans!! That is something to be proud of for sure. Clothing sizes are so nebulous anymore. In March, I was looking for smaller jeans as I was down to one pair of jeans I could fit into, and they were a size 4. I found a pair I liked, and they looked a little small, so I tried on a size 8 in that brand. Too small. Size 10.....too small. Size 12.....too small. I finally gave up. So don't read too much into the size I'm buying now. I know I sure don't as I honestly don't consider myself a true size 1 (the idea is laughable to me, to be honest). I'm just happy that my clothes are getting smaller, and I hope you feel the same about your clothing too. So cheers to you and your achievements! :drinker:

duffy, happy to hear the workout went all right. I hope your recovery continues to go well.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    I was gonna post that I was happy last week to finally slip into some size 10 slimfitting jeans, but, ahem, Stiring posted:

Stiring and cardi girl......
    Congrats on the new clothes sizes.......... a well deserved reward!!:drinker: :drinker:

I agree that the sizes today are crazy! My 20 year old daughter is the same size as I was at that age; I wore a 5-6 then; her size is a 0 or 1 depending on the brand.......I know it's kind of a good ego boost to fit into things with those little tiny numbers on the labels, but they (the manufacturers) are taking "ego sizing" too far!!! I'm still stuck at 129 pounds:grumble: :grumble: , but bought size 3/4 capris over the weekend at Target......... go figure!! I can look at my belly and KNOW that I don't truly wear a 3/4.... but it's impossible to find things that make sizing sense!!
  • cardigirl
    Options
    Thanks, Stiring and Mkwood, I am very happy to finally be in these size 10s! I think I look pretty good, especially considering where I was this time last year!

When I was in my 20s I weighed between 100 and 110 also, but I'm not shooting for that this time around. For one thing, I don't think I could maintain it for very long, and for another, I think I was too thin then. If I was in my early 40s, I might try for it. Being somewhat older now, I think I'll look better with a bit more meat on my bones. :laugh:

When I reach the goal of 30lbs lost, I might go for 10 more, depending on my BF%. Right now, my BF% is in the healthy range for a woman my age and height, but it could go lower and I'm shooting for under 25%.

The absolute best thing though, is how much better I feel, physically, and emotionally, now that I'm striving to be healthy. It makes me wish I had started this journey so much sooner.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!!!,

Congrats to all the achievers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Duffy and Annaliza, it is great to have you back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart:

Oh gosh, don't let me start talking about clothing sizes, soooooooooooooooooooooo frustrating!!!! :grumble: :noway: It is impossible for me to buy something without trying it on, too crazy!! I have sizes from 2-7/8 that fit perfectly. So go figure. :noway: The same with tops but those are easier to get, right now I am wearing XS and S, depending on the brand/stores. I do have more fun now when I go shopping. :drinker:

Thank you to all of you who have commented about my husband. I am very excited that he has agreed to get my help. I have been fixing him his meals and snacks, I think he likes that. :laugh: :laugh: We went out for lunch and asked for my suggestion and he was satisfied with his meal. It is just so hard to estimate calories when you eat out but hey, that is reality.

I am going to NYC from Thu to Sun to a convention. I am hoping to do some sightseeing. My sister is meeting me there, she lives in SC, and will be staying with me at the hotel. Anyone familiar with the city? Some people on other threads have given my some suggestions. Is it safe for two women to be taking the subway at night? We are staying in downtown, close to where the towers were, near Wall St area. What do you think?

Have a great evening!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Wow! congrats with the sizes. I have never been smaller than a 10. Had gotten up to an 18 before I lost weight the first time. Was pushing 16 this time. Now am between a 14 and a 12.

Had a good visit with my mom this weekend. She feels she has "turned another corner" in working through the deaths of my dad and my sister. She is exercising and is eating better too but is slower than she used to be. At 78 she can slow down a little. We did go get "delux" pedicures. What fun. She really likes getting a wheelechair to go through the airport.

My very favorite time of year is now! We have vegetables coming from the garden and River Aerobics started tonight! Our water park (owned by the city) has a lazy river. Three nights a week during the summer they offer river aerobics from 8:30 to 9:30 at night. We run with the current in the 3 foot deep "river" until the park closes at 9 and then we run against the current. Great fun but it is hard to wind down after and I have to get up at 5:00 to make it into Dallas by 7. Oh well, it is worth the loss of sleep. Tonight, my husband and I had been to the trainer at 6:30 and she pushed us hard (I asked her to last time when my husband wasn't feeling well and I had her to myself). Then I went to the river. Good tired now.

I was entering my husband's food intake into MFP but told him last week he had to do it because he was not learning anything. He did sit down on Sunday and enter the full week of food. Now we will work on doing it daily if not several times a day.
    I sew and even patterns that give you the measurements end up not being the right size (or is it my sewing skills?)
    Take care all.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Well, I'm back in the saddle (bike) again. I was very tired yesterday after traveling and little sleep. I really wanted to get a bike ride in, so I did about 10 miles. Today I am going to start to monitor my carb intake. I will try to carb cycle for a bit to see if that will have any positive effects. My cals are pretty low already, so I will make sure I get enough good cals.

Alf, have a wonderful time in NYC!!! :drinker: I used to go to the city to study voice. My stepson is a 1st Responder/ Firefighter with FDNY. As far as travel on subways at night, I think you will be fine, just make sure you enter/ exit at decent stops. Downtown should be fine, as long as you are not out too late (a TX gal and a Southern Belle in the BIg Apple!!!).

Let me know what types of things you are doing, maybe I can offer some suggestions.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Good morning!!! I just finished my workout and eating breakfast, mmmmm!!

Sing, welcome back!!!!! How was your trip? Thank you for the suggestions. I am hoping I have enough time to see a lot of sights, Empire State, Times Square, Wall St, NY Stock Exchange, do some shopping, people watching, see some celebrities :laugh: , Central Park, Rockefeller, etc. We are staying pretty close to where the towers were, 85 West (Marriot). So it says it is close to Battery Park, South Ferry?, Wall St, etc. I really hope I can catch a Broadway show, I want to see West Side Story. I think, with my convention schedule, I will only have late afternoon evenings to do all that and very early Sun morning before my noon time flight back to TX. :grumble: :laugh:

Texssippian, glad to hear about your mom. I cannot imagine how hard it must be for her. And hey, losing dress sizes is always a good thing, no matter what size!!! Congrats! :drinker:

Ok, gotta get ready to go to work. Have a great day!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Tex: That river aerobics sounds great! What a great use of the lazy river. I may send in a request to our local water park for something similar. I'm always looking for joint friendly exercise for my non-runnning days.

Alf: I'm so jealous I'd love to have a girls trip to NYC. It has been years since I last visited and the area you are talking about seemed very safe then. Good luck with your quest to see West Side - I love the changes the revival has made.

I'm headed out for my first run in my 10 mile training. Luckily, it is cool morning so it should not be too bad. Although I'm feeling the CX in my legs today, I guess that means my form was good yesterday.:drinker:
  • belovedromena
    belovedromena Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I used MFP for awhile, but it turns out I needed my thryoid meds adjusted and so I wasn't losing any weight. Now that I'm back to normal I need to lose the 10 lbs I put on. It won't be easy! Is this group for over 40s? If so, that's me! I would love some motivation, and to offer my support of your efforts, too. I've never joined an online group before! Do you all know each other, or just met in this group?
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Welcome, belovedromena!! :flowerforyou: alf1163 started a thread here about four months ago for those of us over 40s, so we all met here and are now an online family (at least that's how I see it :smile: ), and you are more than welcome to join in. We love new members!

Texssipian, I agree with duffy. I think river aerobics sound great! I would love to try something like that, but, alas, there is nothing quite like that here in LA.

Had a good chest/back workout this morning. I'm feeling really strong lately. I think the additional calories in my 'maintenance plan' are really helping out in that area.

I have a quick OT question. Does anybody have any recommendations on places to stay on Maui? My husband and I are toying with going for our 20th anniversary, but we're looking at maybe going this fall instead of next spring (when are acutally anniversary is). I've been looking on line for places to stay, but I like first hand accounts if possible. Any suggestions are more than welcome! I'm also open to any suggestions for Kauai or the big island of Hawaii. We've already been to Oahu twice, so we want to try something different. Again, any input is welcome and much appreciated.

I hope everybody is having a good day!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Alf, how are getting to NYC from the airport (JFK, I assume)? Are you and your sister taking a limo or public transport? I'm only asking this because I know a fairly inexpensive way to go if you don't already have other plans. It involves taking the AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica Station in Queens. Then you can take either the subway or Long Island Railroad (LIRR) from Jamaica Station to Manhattan.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Welcome belovedromena!! :flowerforyou:

Alf, good luck on your trip. :flowerforyou:

Sing, welcome back :smile:

Stiring, sorry, I cannot help you but I am so jealous!!! I would love to go to Hawaii!!

Today has been a rough day for me. I had a coworker ask me if I was pregnant, my boss yelled at me, and another person pointed out my mistake to EVERYONE via email (including to the president of the college where I work). The thing is...I don't make mistakes that often (though I do make them) so why was it THIS time that she decides to email everyone....

It's been rough...

So hopefully my husband will be kind and let me have some "me" time tonight. I think I really need it.

Hope all is well with you guys!
  • cardigirl
    Options
    annaliza,

So sorry you've had a tough day! Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way!
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Annaliza,
    I'm so sorry you're having a rotten day......... I know the feeling when you're someone who makes few mistakes and then somebody points one out to EVERYONE........ makes you feel that much worse! She's completely wrong for emailing everyone about it - that's totally unprofessional:grumble: :noway: :noway: :devil:

Hang in there........ the day will end soon and tomorrow will be better:happy: :happy:
  • alf1163
    Options
    ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Annaliza))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Sorry about your day :cry: Hmm, save proof of that email, that can help if you decide to report this person. As Mkwood said, totally unprofessional :noway: I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Sing, you are so sweet, always so helpful. Since this is a business trip, my job is paying for transportation to the hotel and back to the airport, so I am taking a cab. I am flying into LGA because I was told it is closer to downtown. The cab fare is about $45 and from JFK about the same or more. Can you ask your son if the hotel area is safe? I've heard it is. I am going to the 9/11 Memorial to pay my respects. My husband wants me to do that for the family. :cry:

Belovedromena, welcome!!!! :drinker: :drinker: As Stiring said we are a very close online family with open arms to welcome new members. We are 40 yrs young and above. We are all doing an amazing job, taking care of ourselves and our families.

Stiring, never been to Hawaii. But that is in my plans. Cannot help you with your question. My husband and I made reservations for a New Year's Cruise the week of 27 Dec. We are excited!! Going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We will be celebrating our wedding anniverssary also, 20 yrs!!! We've been together for almost 22 yrs though.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Annaliza, good happy thoughts being sent to you from the DFW metroplex in Texas! I agree it was totally unprofessional. Someone who does that usually ends up doing it one time too many and does not have the opportunity to do that again. Hold your head up high and be proud to be a human and not something less than that.

Belovedromena: Welcome! Some of us (me) are now in the new 30's (50).

I went to my computer to log in my food just now. The site was already open and I was confused because I thought I had logged out. I got real confused when I went to the food journal and it was already filled out for most of today??? Then I looked in the upper left corner and realized that it was my husband's site and he had logged himself in and posted his food from yesterday and today! Those of you supporting your mates' quest for health rejoice! There is hope. I texted him his login and password. Now to get him to quit buying potato chips. He loves a certain kind of Zapp's chips that they don't sell around here so he orders a case at a time from the company! Oh well, one thing at a time.
    I am feeling the river aerobics in my legs. Another session tonight. Yea!